Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
YI 4K+ 4K 60fps camera official topic

• IMX377 sensor
    • Ambarella H2 SOC, 14nm video processing/encoding
    • 7 layers of glass lens, 155° FOV
    • 2.19” touch screen, 640*360 screen
    • 4K 60, 50, 30, 25fps, 2.7K (16:9) 60, 50, 30, 25fps
    • 4000x3000 30, 25p, 1080P 120, 100, 60, 50, 30, 25p
    • up to 120Mbit modes
    • Voice command technology
    • RAW shooting for stills
    • Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) for 4K 30p
    • Live streaming
    • Compatible to all YI 4K acessories
    • USB 3.0 Type-C port (up to 40Mbps speed)
    • Available at https://www.amazon.com/YI-Action-Camera-60fps-Waterproof/dp/B01CW4B2P8/

Full specs https://www.yitechnology.com/actioncamera/specs/id/11

Official!

YI Technology, the leading, international provider of advanced, intelligent imaging technologies, today announced plans to unveil the YI 4K+ at CES 2017, the first action camera to capture 4K photos and videos at 60 frames per second (fps). The company also plans to fly the YI Erida drone, the world’s fastest tricopter, for the first time live in the U.S.

“2016 has been a whirlwind of product launches including several new action and home security cameras, the YI Erida drone, our first mirrorless camera the YI M1, as well as an exciting partnership with Google to develop a virtual reality camera rig,” said Sean Da, CEO of YI Technology. “CES 2017 is an important milestone for us as we look to demonstrate our full product line and reveal novelty solutions. As a challenger brand in the changing imaging technology market, we are constantly looking for ways to push the boundaries and set new standards for the global industry.”

Based on the award winning YI 4K, the YI 4K+ is the third action camera in YI’s successful line of high quality and affordable solutions. The faster frame rate of 60fps is double that of competitor’s products and allows for more realistic, high quality video content.

YI will demonstrate its full line of connected imaging technology solutions, including the YI Erida drone, YI 4K+ Action Camera, home security cameras, dash camera, and the professional grade mirrorless camera, the YI M1, at two different locations during CES 2017:

Pepcom’s Digital Experience!: Wednesday, January 4, 7pm – 10:30pm PT, The Mirage Hotel The Sands, Tech West: January 5-8, Booth #46324

To schedule a one-on-one briefing with an executive from YI Technology, please contact: YITechnology@blancandotus.com

sample63.jpg
    708 x 510 - 37K
  • 121 Replies sorted by
  • Hi all,

Do you confirm me that YI action camera are all discontinued? I see it's full of them on Amazon but I think they are Inventories

• https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_announces_a_huge_108_mp_isocell_bright_hmx_camera_sensor-news-38627.php

12k but 6k video capable.

https://m.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_posts_camera_samples_from_mi_cc9_pro_focusing_on_its_zooming_skills-news-39835.php

8k Ambarella April 2016.

https://www.ambarella.com/news/ambarella-s5-ip-camera-soc-delivers-4k-10-bit-h-265-video-and-multi-imager-capabilities-to-the-professional-surveillance-industry/

https://www.ambarella.com/news/ambarella-introduces-8k-ultra-hd-socs-for-virtual-reality-and-drone-cameras/

It is time for a low energy 8k design. These chipsets are burried as far as I know. H3 demonstrated at CES 2017. I wonder if Sharp waiting for silicon run from Ambarella or other? Bad timing not to have for end of year sales rush. If only 8kp60 at 500mb/s h265.

https://www.slashcam.de/news/single/Samsung-Exynos-9820-fuer-Galaxy-S10--8K-Videoaufnah-14733.html

http://www.f4news.com/2019/10/25/exynos-990-imaging-features/

I have seen mention of an 8k hisilicon chip, but the hackers have gotten to the Google results, and couldn't get to article.

Slashcam.de have articles on which cameras coming with 8k and 8k sensors, including possibly for gh6.

http://image-sensors-world.blogspot.com/2019/10/canon-unveils-5-sensors-for-security.html?m=1

Canon 120mp video samples. Looking at the data for the sensors listed, you see 14 bit, but 10bit 4kp60.

• I don't want to drag on the posts. But that is the way a good competitive circuit works, you reprogram it's timing circuits to support and compress different resolutions bit deaths frame rate, everything you need to. If it doesn't, it's a bit suspicious, though ultra low energy performance and maximum density you might, but on a billion big chipsets devices, is that going save you ten thousand dollars these days, and a modest power saving? On Internet of little things, this might be more the way, but even on an modern action cam, is it going save much. This is how GoPro likely did 4kp15 and the red magic 3 phones, nubia z20 do 8kp15 on a 4k p60 chipset. Note, all these preliminary advanced modes are basically the same pixel as the previous lower resolution mode 4kp15=1080p60. It is how the Asus Roh2 and another Asus phone is doing 8kp24, and the red magic 3 and z20 are supposed to be upgraded to 8kp30 in the future. You can spend the same sort of compression work over a larger area or replace the routine or overclock the device. So 6k can be done this way can too. But it's been years since they announced the ambarella H3 advanced chipset, and a number of mobile chipsels can pull 8l frames in, but that doesn't mean their hardware compression circuit sectioms have enough performamce to compress it at quality. No hacker has done really hard stuff which I know of to get much better performance.

Many companies simply book in with common foundries to make good chips. There are a handful of these handling for the industry Of know clients. You calculation for cost of asic is not the way it is. Sure stepping from 10nm to 5nm might be a lot more expensive, particularly in the short term, but the reality is that actual 2k, 4k, 8k, 1 billion K part is very similar in size and style, trying to squeeze compression performance enough for the bigger data rates is the issue though, as h264/265 is big and complex, and trying to figure out how to get that at high quality on a small chip is an issue, where of they expand the circuites with more parallelism, it's going cost heat and circuit space. But 4kp60 is a bit more data rate then 6kp30, so not such an issue to maintain image quality. But, if you go to a simpler compression scheme, like dng, you get a lot more chip real-estate but less low power consumption short cuts as h264/265 could use before and during compression. But, if you want to capture uncompressed,. Things are simpler again.

Now, what's happening seems to be what has been happening in recent decades. Companies rationalising the cost of production by delaying the entry of new technology until it is cheap/er to make, then charging you like it costs a fortune. Latter editions of HDMI, disc, 4k, 8k got delayed like this. I'm happy if they release a camera for $50k, if it is because it is not yet cheap to make because it is cutting edge chock a block. I'm happy of they keep their profit margins low with aspirational camera gear, and release stuff that should be cheap, as cheap and low margin.

• @mei

Sorry do not understand some of your points.

6K action cameras are impossible as you need to design very advanced LSI, plus need proper small sensor that can do 6K reliably. Now all LSIs and sensors are geared towards 4K.

Newest will move to 8K. But it will be only smartphone LSIs for a while that will be capable of shooting such videos.

Cost of design and manufacture of 2K LSI is around 5x lower compared to modern UHD one, and 8K one with newer interfaces and such is another 4x-10x cost rise (most is the design and preparation to manufacturing here).

Most camera companies stopped improving, as to move ahead they need to merge, and it is just very hard or impossible in Japanese business culture where each of such company is part of much larger structure that is not used for any mergers.

To make modern 7nm and later 5nm LSIs all Japanese companies need to merge to be able to afford making them at necessary pace.

• Rather like saying Android abandoned Android, one of the things they were good at. No wonder the 180 degree 3D camera didn't turn up. We know who would be responsible for this, the same competition busting company that usually interferes. After seeing the less than 4k video frame rate action cam, it should have clicked.

Yi has successfully stollen defeat from victory. They were on a good thing, where they could have made much money in place of go pro. I was waiting for their follow up camera to the M1, to buy. This is industry defeating news. There should be at least 6k action cameras by now, but there is mostly cheap nasty .... The action camera market has a long way to go, if vested interests would keep their anti-competive minded out of it. We should have 4k actions cameras with BM micro like capabilities by now, in miniature form under $500. So disappointing.

• @mei

As far as I understand Yi disbanded team responsible for action cameras and for 360 VR cameras.

All who left work on home security cameras now.

• A lot of sensors actually support higher speed frame readouts then the chipset, which often supports a higher frame ingress than the encoding circuits handle, then the profuct restricts it, as can be seen here. Which is why you can encode better on a mobile. The chipset has way more capability for implementations on different products. Sensor windowing is common on chipsets, and chipsets have to support different resolution sensors and resolutions (like 4k video being windowed out of 4.6k on a narrower field of view. That is the way it works. Some try to overclock the circuites to get extra speed, which something like ribcage with the right thermal cooling setup might have been useful. Apert from programming the thing, you can try to find the relative set of registers and how they work, and see how many dng's or JPEGs, at how low quality, can you get out a second (like I think E1 camera people are trying, or was that M1). Maybe it is 1fps. At this stage, I expect the 4k+ to be superseded or something better to come out, so it is really one for those already deep into it, and not worth too much for a new project.

• @mei

No way it will work, not sensor, not LSi are capable.

• One trick used in the past to get better quality on product, is to try to speed up still mode in continuous burst at 24fps or so.

• @mei

What you mean specifically?

• Did anybody try to get dng to operate at video rates?

• Yi 4K+ is ~200$ on Amazon at this moment.

Seems like a good deal, though I'm not sure how much the comparable GoPros have come down recently.

• Oh yeah - good point. Definitely upgrade the firmware - if you connect the Yi Action Camera app, it will prompt you to install the latest version.

Also, don't judge the camera based on the app. The app is surprisingly bad, given how good everything else about the camera is.

• There are NO issues with SD cards if you purchase the SD cards that are listed on the Yi site and in the sheet that comes with the camera. Many choices. They all work perfectly.

It is also true that since the camera was released there have been multiple firmware upgrades. You must upgrade the firmware. That is done first. The firmware upgrades have added features, improved performance, increased picture quality, and increased compatibility with SD cards not listed.

• Thanks for the quick reply. Ill give those a try when it comes in. I want to mess around with it before the trip so I can get a feel for it. Any issues with SD cards, as I've been reading about error messages and slow speeds. I'm not sure how much editing I'll be doing as I wont be uploading anything, just saving the files to watch on my TV (Samsung KS8000)

• If you're just getting started, the settings right out of the box are pretty good. You might want to set the video quality to the highest possible and the sharpening to the lowest possible. Personally, I like to turn on lens distortion correction and EIS in 4kp30, but YMMV.

For free editing software, look around this site a bit and there are lots of suggestions for free or inexpensive editing software.

• Looking to pick this 4K camera up for our upcoming trip to Cabo. What are some basic settings for shooting in 4k 30fps with EIS on. Want to capture the best picture possible without using a gimble. This is my first time with an action camera. what is a good free editing software? Sorry for all the questions excited about getting this camera.

• sometimes it works ok sometimes it stops like in the video above. maybe a firmware problem? maybe a cable problem? have to try a different cable, computer...

• I do not know what is wrong on your computer. I have no problem reading direct from the camera, and I have read of 100's of clips. The door is not fragile - it will not break or break off. SD cards are not fragile either, the opposite - they are drop-proof, water-proof, freeze-proof, magnet-proof.

I agree that it is somewhat more convenient to just plug in the camera - but you still have to open a "fragile" door to do that!

The only time I had a problem as in your video is when I had a cheap computer with a very slow usb port - it could not deal with the speed of the download and thus buffered - stopped dead in its tracks for long periods of time. But that was not with the Yi 4K+, since when I had that computer I did not have the camera. And if your computer port can deal with 80 MB/s, then it does not seem to be a computer problem.