Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Copy protecting a DVD/Blu-Ray
  • I am trying to find out how to create or add copy protection on a DVD or Blu-Ray. Preferably something that can be done in house. The client will not want to sent out the content to an external vendor.

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • I have looked into it for clients. Adobe Encore has a button to add copy protection and then states it's only possible if mastering for external pressing. I researched it and found that this is true, the only way to copy protect is to send it out for a professional pressing.

I have not found anyway to do it in house for small batches. LMK, if you find one!

Edit: added screenshot from the DVD I am working on today!

Screen Shot 2016-09-13 at 4.50.37 PM.png
    1970 x 428 - 92K
  • I never tried this, but might be worth an experiment:

All current DVD copyright protection technology can be hacked easily. There is something simple you can do to actually make your DVD un-copyable.

http://www.lacolorpros.com/blog/?10104-Adding-Copy-Protection-to-DVD

• Hey jleo, barring sending out to professional services or that blog post that involves using an exacto knife (!), you're probably out of luck. There is really not any in-house software that can't be cracked pretty easily. Honestly, even stuff claiming to be "pro" level is not very good in this regard: true anti-theft disc replication is laborious, costly AND will probably not work within a year.

Curious why your client is going this route. I mean, if you've already gone through the process of building the DVD, mapping the layout and creating the ISO, you're literally one click away from sending to a pro 3rd party solution. And if it's just the content, could you encrypt the data and put on DVD/Flash Drive?