Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 720p50/60 and 1080i60 Settings
  • It's time for SANITY!

While great work has been done with the GH2 hack for improving the 24P picture, I've been dissatisfied with the quality of the 50/60P and 60i patches. The biggest problem is mud in the shadows, and that has been the focus of my work - to minimize it.

So, may I present 'SANITY' - the patch that DOES IT ALL, and at reasonable bitrates. 'SANITY' produces the best 50 and 60 fps pictures you've ever seen from the GH2! Plus a sane 24P setting that isn't going to bust the bank - bkmcwd's superb 66M GOP12.

"SANITY' is the patch I load into my camera and go out shooting, and don't worry about it anymore. And I bring back great looking footage no matter what mode I shoot in.

'SANITY' has exceptionally clean 720 50/60P and 1080 60i. And of course, 24P.
    (however, I can't guarantee 1080i 50 because it's settings are tied to 24P)

For those interested, the key to increasing the quality of 50 and 60 fps, is to use a larger GOP than the stock setting.

1080 60i - GOP 18
    720 60P - GOP 39
    720 50P - GOP 30

When you do this, all the stars align and good things happen.

So, load it up and get a taste of 'SANITY'!

NOTE: Only use FSH/SH mode for SANITY. Do not use FH/H.
    SANITY.zip
    622B
  • 254 Replies sorted by
  • Hi! Thanks for the Sanity! But is it ok to have only 15-20mbit p/s in cinema 24p H mode? I think that something went wrong with my Sanity:) Or is it normal?

Thanks

• 720P60 chokes on Sanity-Sedna the first try, but runs OK after a battery restart, but changes color about once per second on both Sanity-Sedna and Sanity Orion. 24P looks great on both patches. HBR looks good on Sanity-Orion, but pixellates dramatically on Sanity-Sedna. Leica Lumix 25mm f/1.4 4/3 version. Sandisk 45MB/s cards, ISO 160 and 1600, running standard shutter speeds for each format.

• @ Zaven13. Thanks. I'll try these today.

• @CurtisMack. I started with Sedna A Q20 settings, then used the ptools v364d to modify 720p, 1080i60 settings using Sanity settings. Instead of stock matrix, I used Sedna matrix. Attached are both the Orion - Sanity hybrid settings using Orion's matrix with the new audio settings included and the Sedna A Q20 - Sanity hybrid settings using Sedna matrix with audio settings already included in the Sedna. In the Orion-Sanity settings I changed the 1080 AQ to 3 instead of 4 to help with spanning.

Orion-Sanity hybrid with Orion matrix.zip
    991B
    Sedna A Q20-Sanity hybrid with Sedna matrix.zip
  • @Zaven13 - how did you perform the merger?

• @Ralph_B. I used Sanity 3.1 with FSH/SH=44mb, FH/H=28mb and merged it with Driftwood's Sedna A Q20 matrix. There is a significant difference in quality and bitrate between Sanity settings using stock matrix vs. Sedna matrix. Sedna A Q20 is much sharper and generating higher resolution/bitrate. You may have already tried it. If not you should. You will be pleasantly surprised.

• @Zaven13 Workin' on it...

• @Ralph_B. Have you tried to redo your settings using some of the new scaling and quantization matrices? You have one of the best settings for 1080i60 and 720p60 using GOP18 and GOP39. I am currently combining yours with Driftwood's 24p settings. Good job.

• @Ralph_B @towi SanDisk 30MB/s, this is exactly the card I have and it crashed. Anyway thanks for the advices, I will try it out.

• @Ralph_B

other manufacturers (Transcend if I remember correctly)

• @towi Were those other cards Sandisk, or other manufacturers?

• @Ralph_B

no problem at all...

Yes, I also feel it's in the cards. Settings that survive heavy torture tests in PAL mode on my SanDisk 30MB/s cards failed for users with other cards (though 30MB/s, too).

• @towi Sorry for the confusion. It's hard to remember who did what with all the activity that's going on. Interesting that you ran Sanity successfully in HBR at 36M, while gameb had problems. I guess it's in the cards!

• @gameb No, it's 1080i60 that should be GOP 18. I didn't realize you were running in PAL. I don't know yet what the correct setting should be for HBR in PAL. I'm still working on a proper port of Sanity for firmware 1.1.

Keep 1080i50 and 1080p24 GOP Size=12. Try lowering Video Bitrate FSH/SH to 32000000 and lower Video Bitrate FH/H to 24000000.

HBR works off the FSH/SH bitrate.

• @Ralph_B & @gameb

in my modified Sanity setting ( http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/42716#Comment_42716 ) only the bitrate of FSH was lowered to 36M (44M crashed in PAL mode). I used this modified Sanity settings for quite some time - never crashed, footage always looked great. The new 24p25p-NINE setting (GOP=9) was aimed at PAL users for 24H/24p and HBR/25p modes.

@gameb - GOP size for 50i is 12 (50i is coupled with 24p)

• @Ralph_B thanks, I will try it right now, I am running the PAL version so it would be the 1080i50 settings GOP size=18, right? Do you think these settings would work on a GF2? Mine comes next week hopefully... cheers Edit: I changed the GOP and it looks fine. I remember the person who modified it was saying the 36Mps in HBR looks as good as the 66Mbs in 24H Cinema, do you agree? Did you ever put up the HBR to 66Mbps?

• @gameb Check that the 1080i60 GOP Size=18. The person who modified it changed it to 9. That was a mistake.

• @Ralph_B last week I was shooting a documentary, and had a few crashes, battery out, restart etc. shooting in HBR mode, I was using your settings which have been modified by I don't remember who for HBR. Did it happen to you? I use SanDisk Extreme 30Mbs and didn't have any problems until now. The shot when it crashed where not even long shots. Any ideas about it?

• Shot with the most recent version of Sanity for the new P-Tools. Looks great :] Thanks so much for your work!

• @driftwood Best of luck with that Nick. :)

• The dream... so close!

• May have INTRA 720p working before the end of the night... at last !

• *** New*** Optimised settings for 720p50 and 60p plus a lot more. GF2 and GH2 compatible settings. http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2364/driftwood-quantum-x-v2-rocket/p1

• "Why did you lower in the new sanity the bitrates for FSH/SH mode from originally 44Mbits (old sanity) to 36Mbits "

44M crashed in FSH mode. 36M is stable.

• @towi Why did you lower in the new sanity the bitrates for FSH/SH mode from originally 44Mbits (old sanity) to 36Mbits and FH/H mode from originally 32Mbits (old sanity) to 24Mbits?