Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Personal View Feature Film Collaborative project
  • 536 Replies sorted by
  • # my idea for the script, (please brainstorm this)

"Cogito ergo sum"
    Fiction
    (original by @lolo)
    __Production Restrictions:
    ____a) unifying off-voice in first person (I), this is the voice of the toughts in real time of the main character
    __Main artistic concepts:
    ____a) it goes by stages, wich are different realities, in wich the main characters doesn´t know what´s going on and gets increasingly confussed,
    ____b) with the constant being the chase of a shadow (please brainstorm the chase of the shadow plot, as i don´t think is up to other concept of multiple realities)
    __Storyline (haha per stage :D, is under creative commons already, so no evil corporation can steal it for profits):
    A man walks on the street, he feels someone is chasing him, the feel continues in his home until he falls sleep, he wakes up, and everything on his bedroom (furniture, etc) is hanging from the ceiling, he gets frightened, a shadow appears in a wall and goes after him, he runs away fast but hits a wall with his head.
    The main character is now a woman in a psychiatric hospital (only in one white room), she is being treated for squizophrenia, a nurse forgets her cellphone, the shadow appears and the main characters tries to defend herself with the cellphone (is the only thing that has at hand), the shadow tries to eats her, she closes her eyes.
    She appears now inside a videogame (because of the cellphone)...
    Then the main character appears in a world made like in the matrix, so he gets unplugged from a computer, the shadow appears and chases him, he runs towards a door, he opens it before the shadow reaches him,
    He appears now on the stage of a theatre, they are rehearsing a play, and the main character is the main character of the play, he doesnt understand, but stills tries to perform, but he gets the shivers, the director calls for a break, the main character takes a sit on a sofa from the theatre set that is old and grungy, he gets itchy, he starts to scartch himself with the palm of his hand hitting his chin as a cat would do
    The main character is now a cat, he enjoys the sun, he feels that a shadow is chasing him, but he catches the shadow first, he plays with his shadow, the shadow was his own shadow all along, the cat is happy

And after the credits we see an alter ending, when the main character in a creepy set drinks tea along with his shadow, and the shadow controls him as a puppet with black fishlines
  • @lolo

Can you please change the title of my silly idea from Possessed to something like "Stowaway"?
  • # if someone also suports the

Delivery
    ____a) License the feature under the creative commons license, Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0)
    http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ (by @lolo), Supported by:
    ____________1* @atticusd
    ____________2* @lolo

please rise your hand
  • Celtx studio sounds good.
    I don't find much exciting to shoot the same thing but in different styles, ok it is easier but not much original.
    If we need a more orchestral score or jazz/funky/classical more than an electronic one i have a close collaborator/friend who is a great composer.
  • # @lolo I used celtx at college and I agree with you, it's a beautiful piece of software. I won't mind to pay the cloudservice fees myself if we end up using it.

Talking about the license, that's exactly the same one I tend to use for all the stuff I put online. It seems the most suitable for the kind of thing we're trying to accomplish here.
  • @lolo

Assets: well many things depend on timing, but I know a lot of musicians. So there is a clear possibility we could borrow songs. (We can talk further about that if / when the time comes). Also, I have connections to networks of dancers and actors - so there's plenty to choose from, apart from the film-makers I usually work with.

If we write the script as a team I wouldn't mind getting involved - but I have to say it also depends on the idea and what it does for me creatively - since I work very intensely and precisely when I get down to writing. I have done a lot of creative writing, prose and poetry in English but then it's been for my own artwork and that's a different kettle of fish. At the very least I could be a part as an editor!

In terms of locations there are plenty of forests and mountain areas in my vicinity. With and without civilisation. :)

With the right timing it could be possible to work with more bulky / advanced gear like cranes and such. It could also be possible to get some additional finance from some sources which I think could be into supporting the project.
  • # @Aksel i like your idea of having just one script, and all the Directors around the world will shoot his or her version of the same script
    :D i had a similiar idea a few years a go, when i was at the berlinale talent campus, but with shortfilms, but that only remain as an idea as nobody was in the spirit to work on those short days :(,
    perhaps if your artistic concept ain´t choosen for the feature we could make it still as a collage of shortfilms to make one feature :), and really short, let´say less than 3 minutes, so really everyone can make it in their own style
  • # @atticusd there is scriptwriting software that can write in the cloud called celtx studio, is opensource and a really good one, really sturdy and stable, is opensource, so it´s free, but the cloudservice is by subscription, i believe 5 u$ dollars a month for 5 writers

i´ll update your summary to the first post

----

btw, i think we should also discuss the license that the feature will have, i much prefer the creative commons license, Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0)
    http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/

and we should probably discuss this now, so no company could come and steal any of the plots commented

• So, summarizing, these are the things I'm more than willing to do:

* Give all the help I can in the outlining process.
    * Direct a segment, and assemble a small crew and a group of actors.
    * Help someone direct his (or her) segment here in Spain and possibly in another european country.
    * Write at least part of the screenplay.
    * Get a talented musician/audio technician to help @thepalalias with the soundtrack, audio processing, etc provided he wants/needs that help.
    * Donate.
  • #

Some suggestions:

Once some ideas are put on the table and we agree on which one (or combination of ones) we'll use, we should outline the hell out of it. At that stage maybe we could use Google Docs or some kind of multiplatform collaborative writing software to shape the story. With color codes and a little bit of moderation it shouldn't get out of control.

Once outlined, we'll find ourselves on the screenwriting stage. What do you guys think of assembling a team of writers instead of putting all the responsibility on one person? I wouldn't mind writing a segment or more. I think I can write decent prose when I put myself into it (you can read some at: atticusdiablowsky.com BIG SPAM ALERT ;)). When I write in english the process is a bit slower because I have to triple check everything to make sure that every sentence sounds natural and the grammar, spelling and syntax are correct. But I've been writing english fiction for quite a while so, in any case, I have the resources to do it.

Sound wise I would say that we're already pretty well covered by the @thepalalias but in case he needs more assistance, there's this redhead northern spanish guy who happens to be both an audio magician and a very talented musician and on top of that, one of my closest friends ;). I haven't told him anything yet but I'm sure he'd be more than glad to help. You can hear one song from his 2001 album Superficie here:
    Ten years later, the motherfucker continues to get better and better.

• @LOLO
    wa-wait i'm not a grader and i can't provide grading! Just editing, directing and footages!
  • updated,

@all
    please review the first post looking for possible mistakes or improvements
  • @ALL

Please before posting read the headed of the first post

GUIDELINES!
    PLEASE FOLLOW THIS EASY GUIDELINES TO POST IN THIS THREAD!

and follow those guidelines please! :), otherwise this thread will become a mess!, please!,
  • Awesome idea. I'd like to help with shooting, editing and can get a small crew to join. I'm in Germany with friends in Los Angeles, Denmark & France. I can donate time, ideas, gear and a few $
  • @Elenion
    >We should decide standard things like film modes, color profiles, kind of illumination, isos, camera movement styles or the graders could go crazy :P

I couldn't agree more.
  • I'd like to help. I live in Italy (Firenze) and i have a my own crew. I could do some editing or grading if we go to fictional or i can provide some footages. I'm a director, if you need some kind of coordination, it's ok.
    We should decide standard things like film modes, color profiles, kind of illumination, isos, camera movement styles or the graders could go crazy :P
  • I'm living in Spain right now and I will stay here for some more months. I know some people who can act without much direction and that will be glad to help. I'm more than willing to direct a segment or help another director. It's been less than a day since I first saw the comment of @B3Guy in the other thread but I already want really really badly to see this movie made. I couldn't care less if one of my ideas get picked or not. I just want us to make this movie.
  • @thepalalias @everyone

Re: minutes and amount of teams - there could maybe be 20 teams x 5 minutes. 100 minutes of footage which will give the editor a bit of leeway when it comes to editing. Maybe 22 teams - 110 minutes - which can be edited down to 96 or thereabouts. Of course each team also do their share in pre-editing.

I can assemble an "offline" team - there are no PV members from northern Sweden as far as I know.
  • @Aksel Nothing to be sorry about - it's cool. :)
  • @thepalalias Thanks
    I just erased all that info.I thought it was weird.
    Sorry
  • @Aksel "how do we apply?"

You just did. I think everyone would love to have you involved. :)
  • @driftwood how do we apply?

I am in Chicago

I will be very happy to be part of this project. to Direct or help another Director.
  • @lolo I hope you don't mind if I add to the asset list bit by bit instead of all at once.

- Southern California (and depending on time of year, occasional stints in Oregon and Washington state).
    - Manpower assets include several singers, composers, writers, etc. that owe me favors or would like to be involved.
    - Personally up for scoring/providing music, camera operator, DP, director/assistant director, producer, consultant, etc. Basically, if someone else has a team nearby and wants help, ask and I'll see if I can help complete the equation. :)
  • Yes, what sort of length does everyone have in mind?

I feel like the maximum marketable length is about 96 minutes, but people are more likely to watch it the shorter it is.

With 26 teams, 96 minutes would add up to 3.6 minutes per team. This seems like less than most people would want. How long did people want for their "section"? I was guessing about 5-6 minutes.

If each team got 6 minutes, and we were doing 96 minutes, that would mean we had 16 slots.

Given that people in the same geographic area might be up for collaborating, that seems like a reasonable starting point.

Also, so far we have at least 3 continents confirmed (Europe, North America and South America).

What does everyone think the max running time should (max as opposed to "ideal")? Does 16 slots sound like enough to include all the people that want to get involved?