Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Personal View Feature Film Collaborative project
  • 536 Replies sorted by
  • @Reckless I`m not adverse to a variety of styles - I just think they should be suggested and agreed on before they are used, much like the second unit director might discuss things with the first, etc. Autonomy, but with a unified vision. :)
  • Here's an obvious idea for a global community connected by an internet website: a global economic crisis affects the lives around us and our "ways of seeing" life itself in the twenty first century. It's an emotional world within us all and how we FEEL affects how we see what's going on.

Obviously there is more than one crisis at hand. Indeed there are many converging, and whether we are consciously aware of them or not, they are very real. Population explosion. Homelessness. Hunger. Environmental degradation. Global warming. Deforestation. Over fishing. And the list goes on and on…as corporations take over the world and jobs are shipped overseas leaving unemployment to breed anger and despair. Marriages breakdown and associations of all sorts as we take it out on each other…and some violence begun may never end. Some take to the streets with placards of words. Some holler to be heard as others cry alone, in silence.

From many angles the pressures mount and some quietly give way to just mind their own business or do their own thing to find their own peace in this world. Some can't find any peace at all and just seethe when they see their bank statements drained, their debt rising and retirement gone. There's just no saving their savings anymore!

Some pick up a gun. Some grab their guitar. We battle the bad or do better. We create or destroy everyday.

So what unifies the different scenes of our different experiences (however fictional and well felt) could very well be a connection with strangers from around the world. A fictional website, for example, in which something brings them together on a semi-daily basis. Something that allows them to express the need they have to get their personal view out and make it shine. It may not be a pretty picture…but we'll make it move
  • @Exilenorth I don`t personally want to do something political, because I don`t feel it likely that everyone here, in all these different places, randomly happens to share the same political view when so few of the people I work with even share views with each other. :)

@Lolo Yes, my "+1" was an aye. :)
  • @exilenorth lol my friend and coworker worked for Coppola then Sean Penn. He was their script reader and one of the script editors. If this ends up happening we can have him review the script. He knows his stuff.
  • So far it sounds like a runaway train. So, clarify, any hack, Sean Penn is directing a former Coppola employee in Sacramento, Driftwood has and English crew, 300 script writers from all over they world, including Pasadena? converge in space to develop and epic piece. Who is the main character, perhaps Herman Cain, sociopath liar,
    or the protests taking place around the world. I think there is more of an opportunity, if we view ourselves as world voyeurs and put together something along the line of, OUR VIEW OF A NEW WORLD ORDER. The movie studios put crap in the movie houses such as vampires,war,searches for ones sexuality and other dribble. why not a group effort detailing the demise of the Capitalist Empires, and the pieces being put back together by the 99%.
    Anybody remember Humpty Dumpty. We have pulled it together once, why not do it again.

• I'm in! I got a crew. Ex-employee of Francis Ford Coppola and Sean Penn will direct my side. Very insanely creative. He was a script reader/editor for both of their production companies. I'm in Sacramento, CA! If their is too many Bay Area folks come join me!
  • @thepalalias I probably should have read a little bit more in depth about the locations. As far as the "palette" I completely understand and I agree that it would help it be more unified. I also think that this is a unique situation where it doesn't necessarily have to be unified in that way, as far as what I am reading so far this isn't something that anyone is looking to make money off of so I think it would be nice that each team should be able to shoot however they see fit, some directors like very contrasty gritty looks and others like very smooth and clean looks. I don't think it would be a bad idea to have a unified look to the film but I also feel that it might hinder some people too, I think they should shoot which ever way they can produce their own best work. In this instance I am reminded of "Paris Je T'Aime" each director in the film did their segment in their own style, the difference being that I think it would be nice to have a stronger central idea instead of just the city of Paris as in the film. These are my thoughts. :)
  • @lolo creative commons will do nicely for this sort of thing, I suppose.
  • Ok, I had this idea for a script:

Headless man (working title)

15 ~10 min short stories where the following parallel stories take place -

In each episode a photography of a headless man figures in post-card size, or inside an envelope which can be recognized as containing the same photo. (same size, similar envelope seen in other episode or whatever - the photo should be easily distinguishable as the same, worn, aged)
    In each episode the lead character finds an object, sort of a ceramics shard piece or something along those lines - it's use unrecognizable by the piece itself - though all objects look like pretty similar.

The events in each short story revolve around time travel or dimension travel (actual, or the want to) - it could be due to topic elements like:

death, sorrow, doing drugs, watching film, swimming, birth, sex, extreme endurance, extreme sports and so on..

In the end the characters gather and assemble the objects they've found - the headless man. Someone takes a photo of it.

---

When I came up the idea I was thinking of a metaphor for this project - I have a weak spot for creations that analyze themselves in some way.
  • @lolo I haven't seen "Babel" or "Gonzalez iñarritu", and looking at an overview of "Babel" it looks like it is very relative to the idea so I will try to watch them in the next few days. The films "Crash", "Magnolia", and "Four Rooms" come to mind for me of course they were all based in the same locations. I think that you are definitely on to something with your ideas though.
    -I also think that the stories and the characters themselves didn't necessarily have to be related to each other but the event could be what tied everything together because it changes everything for everyone, and the completely different characters from different walks of lives were all effected by a single event. This is just a thought to help with brain storming so I take no offense if no one is for it.
    -Over all the biggest thing for us to remember and what I have found in making short films with little to non budget is to simplify, the more we simplify the better.
  • I'm in SLC, Utah. We have some pretty amazing scenery out here, salt flats being one them... If you needed some kind of wide expanse wilderness / desert scene.
  • # @thepalalias about the "Under workflow, the section "_c)Scriptwriting in the cloud", i think that is as subjective as what the story will be, to who the writers are (and theirs cultural, familiar values heritage is, or isnt´, etc....) and what process would that script would take in order to be a movie (i´m mean just look at my post up there concerning Reckless idea), as this is not the classic way of making movies, we can try others tools, i think it is a if the script so requires, therefore i´m changing base on your comment as an alternative

btw your +1 on driftwood´s clouds, means "Aye"?
  • # @Reckless i think you have a valid point, and i like your idea better than my previous one....

developing your idea,,,
    perhaps we could agree among all the teams unfying relations to get

according to your idea, the unifiyng thing can be
    -a global event (event yet to be determined),

i could say that perhaps
    -a choral structure will be the must suitable, something as "Babel" of "Gonzalez iñarritu", with common but distant relationships, between the several main characters,

-perhaps about the characters we could have different lines of conflict, i´m mean, some main characters will be heavy charged towards an internal conflict, others to the inter-personal conflicts, and others with the extra-personal conflict that is the global event, theirs reaction could be different to this event, but in this three groups, so we can have a three global dramatic arches for the editing room, and of course the global event, must be the one that starts the arch and the one ending it

-perhaps what @RRRR of the general and the specific can become handy in terms of the decoration and script global structure

if we can agree more unifiers, or more specific unifiers (what relationships between the characters, a father, a child, a cat, a grandpa, a boss, etc...), perhaps in this way every director could write their own segment
  • @lolo - Definitely, as I think it would really cheapen the experience. OR - you might consider a kind of "stream of consciousness" narrative overlay; where the protagonist recounts his experience at key points during the film. Not necessarily narrating each scene... but something simple, drawing attention and offering a voice where it will be most impactful. This would be done by someone with a good mic / sound setup. Everyone tells me I have an amazing voice for that kind of thing, but don't have the equipment just yet.
  • +1 For Driftwood's cloud storage.
  • @Reckless I think they should definitely write down your idea as a potential approach, but I just wanted to clarify something about the ideas already on the table, too. :)

For my own idea (and I got the impression this was true of several others as well) the reason we are asking where everyone is from is to try to tailor scenes to take advantage of the available locales. I don't think anyone has talked about trying to exclude the available locales at this point (and each participant is free to put in requests for places they would like included before the final scriptwriter(s) start working their magic).

The reason that limiting the more technical part of the "palette" (or at least running ideas by the team) a bit has been discussed is to try to ensure that the film comes off as a unified "film" as opposed to the compilation approach we are taking with the showreels. Nobody was saying that we should use "exactly the same" for almost anything, just that it get approved first. :)
  • I think it would be an interesting concept if the film revolved around a central idea or event, such as the day we made contact with E.T.'s or what not. This would give all of the different teams the freedom to do what ever they wanted. The different scenes in the film would be separate vignettes all connected to the central idea. It seems a shame to me that we would have the opportunity to have so many different beautiful and varied locations available as backdrops and be forced to avoid using them to try to keep it looking the same from scene to scene. I believe it would also give the teams more freedom to show off there own separate artistic expression instead of being locked into a certain lighting scheme, film mode, camera movements etc.
  • Under workflow, the section "_c)Scriptwriting in the cloud, via Celtx Studio (opensource, but cloudservice by subscription https://studio.celtx.com/#/studio/nav-pricing for the rates), "Aye" for the ones that can donate some money (by @atticusd & @lolo)"

I support extensive collaboration at the brainstorming and outlining stage, but think that there should be 1 final script writer, 1 script editor and ... well infinite proofreaders, to check for typos and such. :)

I'm not an exceptional writer myself, but I come from a family of them: practically everyone in my immediate family is published (brothers, sisters, mother, father, step-mother...) and several of them have worked at national magazines or literary journals (American Short Fiction, The Atlantic, U.S. News and World Report, Legal Affairs) and published multiple books.

Heck "screenwriting" was something we talked about when we watched movies long before I ever hit my teens. My step-dad would accurately predict the events in Swedish movies the rest of could understand (but he couldn't, because of the language barrier) based on the structure alone, or my father would talk about the subtext and "un-stated messages" of a given thriller, or my mother would discuss the role of a given event or character in making another character more or less sympathetic. I got tired of hearing "and if they'd followed a more traditional structure, this would be where act 2 begins", but I enjoyed most of the rest. :)

In the decades that have followed, it's been my experience that in fiction (especially in non-comedic genres) collaborative writing is infrequently successful (Casablanca excepted) in terms of its sense of unity and that a writer's "best friend" in that respect, is really their editor, not a writing partner.

That's why I think the role of the collaboration should be to really figure out all the places we want to go and the way we want to do it, but that the writing should have just one stylistic voice in the end. Just my two (or maybe four) cents. :)
  • # silly idea for hack advertisement or partial idea for a (meta) fiction
    (as an ad it would be a lot shorter than a full feature, but would still allow a lot of contributors.)

some Russian hacker "terrorist" produces some kind hack that is quickly distributed to his "evil minions" or partners in crime or whatever, literally seen in strategic positions all around the world.

- if made as an advertisement, this seemingly ominous device in the end could turn out to be the gh2vk (and the video world was never the same - que evil russian laugh)

- if a start to any fiction, the device/hack could be anything really (instructions to blow shit up, assassinate, or something completely harmless), tying the different local storylines together.

anywho, I got a gh2 in Bergen, Norway (or Ålesund/Oppdal for christmas/winter holiday) if you need some footage from here.
  • # @driftwood hahahahh the awesome, where can you shoot something?
  • # @L1N3ARX i think that depends of the script choosen by all of us, your comment is quite similar to this one

GUIDELINES OF PRODUCTION (Restrictions on production if the script so requires)
    1) Production teams have the option of either recording with a pre-determined, inexpensive setup (with chosen settings to ensure tested consistency) or leaving the audio blank so that the voiceover and score can run through the scene. (by @thepalalias)

do i place you as a supporter of this appreciation?

@FGCU where do you live? perhaps later when we choose the teams you could join one near you (if it does exist) as a DP, or make one, or...
  • I can shoot stuff in Amsterdam/Rotterdam if you need some foreign storylines :)
  • Aye to anything you want me involved in. :-)
  • Would this be a non-dialog film, with just a bit foley sound and music to help guide the progression? Cause the one thing that could hamper the overall quality is somebody submitting a piece with crappy sounding on-board audio and mixing that in with well recorded audio. Would be fun to make some kind of art film with a real premise but without dialog. Just something really visual that keeps people on edge.
  • Aye to the donation for the cloud storage idea by @driftwood.