Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Contact - The Humpback Whales of Tonga
  • My 2016 video of humpback whales, using 2008 footage.

I tried to convey some of the sense of awe I felt swimming with these magnificent animals. After colour-wrangling, I deinterlaced my 30i HDV footage to 60p (using QTGMC), slowed most of it down 50% (to 30p), and sharpened it a little. There is still life in the old formats if the content is interesting.

Any feedback, positive or negative, is welcome.

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • I've holded a camera freediving.. and it's soooo difficult! U waste most of the time in getting in the right position without using the hands and then.. your oxygen is over and you have to go up. Great job Nick!

• Magnificent. Really well done. I was fortunate enough to swim with whalesharks inMarch, so I can understand the feelings when diving with these animals.

• Gorgeous shots of these truly majestic beings; congrats Nick... with a pinch of healthy envy ,-)
    The footage could be interchanged with the ones in the beginning of this trailer

• @NickHope: Great pictures!

Is it intentional that the "The Humback whales of Tonga" title script bounces a little up and down, or is this some de-interlacing artifact?

One thought: The first scene where a human is visible, providing a "scale" for the many not knowing how big such a humpback whale is, is shown ~50s into the clip. If you want to catch & keep the attention of today's smartphone-ADHS-stricken audience, I would recommend to place a first "scale" providing scene right after the intro.

At 02:12 there's some serious color banding around the nearby fluke - I guess this is due to Youtube's excessive compression (to 4.3MBit/s for 1080p30), and probably not present in the original material, right?

BTW: I'm planning for a Philippines trip later this year, and interested in any must-see location recommendations for underwater videography, there.

• Go to Oslob, southern Cebu, Philippines. There you can dive with whalesharks. We hat 4 when we were there in March. 3 around 8 meters long and one "baby" with about 4 meters

• Thanks for the comments. @karl Thank you for your feedback and so sorry for the ridiculously slow reply. I thought I was subscribed to this post, but obviously not!

The title had a little jitter added in the NewBlueFX titler. I just liked it at the time. Not sure I'd do it again.

Good point about showing the diver nearer the start to give the scale. Didn't think of that.

I don't really see significant banding at 02:12. It might be that YouTube has started delivering the video with the superior VP9 codec rather than H.264 since you commented. There is a kind of a white "glow" around the fluke in the original footage from my old Sony Z1 HDV camera.

As for Philippines dive sites, I suppose you've already been. I only know Anilao, which has pretty nice macro. I want to go to Romblon and Dumaguete, which I hear good things about.