Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Capitalism: The only moral system
  • 30 Replies sorted by
  • @paulhouston

In his divine wisdom, Pope Francis says that "inequality is the root of all evil", "unbridled capitalism is the 'dung of the devil'", and that "poor countries should not be reduced to being providers of raw material and cheap labour for developed countries". I have to agree with him

Well, I have to agree that Pope lie, as usual. That his is fully immoral guy who is formal head of old rusty tool in the hands of capitalists all around the world, tool that each day help to keep horrible inequality.

• "Capitalism: The only moral system"

I think this topic title is just flame-bait.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev You can do better than this. ;-)

• I think this topic title is just flame-bait

It was title made by Austrian guys :-) not me.

Of course they can do better, stop writing stupid things at first.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev - actually, we are awash in cheap energy compared to the 1970's. Back then, we had to wait in line to buy gasoline. What changed was the regime of deregulation and economic war on the lower and middle classes. The New Deal paradigm worked quite well from the end of WWII until 1980. It was the political breakup of the New Deal coalition that ushered in suppression of the working class. As far as idealism in my head, it's a long discussion, but I know from actual experience that attempting to quantify intangibles such as worker's performance at the individual level is a fool's game. The scientific-materialistic paradigm tells us a lot, as with Evolutionary Psychology, but it cannot even come close to providing anything more than a gross guideline to any kind of wicked problem. Were this not true, we would have solutions to problems such as educating the criminal underclass, and dealing with potential adversaries with radically different world views. It simply does not provide enough real knowledge. That's why we have extended arguments about this kind of thing.

• actually, we are awash in cheap energy compared to the 1970's.

I have lot of good posts here in blog, as just won't waste my time here.

Back then, we had to wait in line to buy gasoline.

And that was period of time. Interesting time, if you read about it it'll also add few bricks in your picture.

It was the political breakup of the New Deal coalition that ushered in suppression of the working class.

Again, it is idealism. Your poor capitalists in reality just did that was in their interests of the time in accordance with changed reality around. Remember - none of them care for ya.

As far as idealism in my head, it's a long discussion, but I know from actual experience that attempting to quantify intangibles such as worker's performance at the individual level is a fool's game.

Well, yep idealism took his throne in your head and killed all other nestlings.

Let me just rephrase to extreme to understand whole issue: "but I know from actual experience that attempting to quantify and scientifically explain such things as lightning is a fool's game". Almost all of the people not long ago shared this view.

Some things are hard to understand and some are hard to measure, and some are impossible today. Does not mean it won't be done if needed.