Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Nikon Hacks, D7000, D7100, D3100, D3200, D5100, V1, V2, J1, D4, D800 and Nikon Tool
  • 336 Replies sorted by
  • thank you man.
    I just thought, that You or someone have the software, or the manual how to recover boards like mine...
  • @teufel you are not alone :D, i broke two cameras like you becuse don't know exactly what am i doing or know nothing... Fully agree, just don't do it.
  • Hi !

I just wanted to know what are the current progresses on the D7000 hack. Is there any news ? Thanks for the work you've done so far.

• to me please

• by neogene "My only missing for d7000 is the lack of ability to change aperture during video recording"

sadly this is mechanically not possible due to how the d7000 aperture operating mechanism is constructed, it is not a firmware fixable thing, you better get some manual aperture lenses, or get a manual aperture ring

• @swfree: this is not a mechanical limitation. The new D4 has the same mechanical aperture arm actuator and works fine with video (or at least during live view, which if unlockable would still be an improvement!)

• @ Micah: the mechanical limitation is how the aperture arm is operated, on the d7000 it is using the same motor used for the mirror up/lock function. thats why you have to disable and re enable live view , to get the mirror down, so on the way up the new aperture setting takes effect, they did not do the same for the D4, the D4 is not the D7000, it has a dedicated aperture drive not connected to the mirror. its nothing you could fix with the software.

• ok I read every post, but I don not come to understand or are the D7000's hack, and especially if there are already what is new in the video function

thanks

• mikus, no hack.

hack is possibly possible, but uncertain if entirely doable.

check again next year :p

• What There is no hope of, c is really a shame to condemn him

• @mikus : check your pm for the explanation of an hack process, in french.

• @swfree I really don't think that's a physical limitation because while on aperture priority mode, on live view you can record video and also change the aperture value, if it was in did a physical limitation as you suggest that wouldn't be possible at all.

• @el_guero In Aperture Priority Live View mode on the Nikon D7000 and D5100, you can turn the dial and the aperture setting on the LCD will change. However, the lens aperture will not actually be changed until you leave Live View mode or snap a photo. This is a long-known pitfall of Nikon's Live View mode and it's good to hear that it has finally been fixed with the D4.

• Lpowell, this is true, nikon took its time, even though ive never really needed a feature like that because im using manual lenses with aperture ring on the d7000 like the quite awesome fully manual Rokinon/Samyang/Walimex Pro AE 35 mm 1:1,4 http://www.amazon.com/Rokinon-Angle-Nikon-Automatic-RK35MAF-N/dp/B004X1SFTA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326481509&sr=8-1 i say if you want live view aperture control , the chances that you are a dslr film maker are good, so you dont really need auto focus, but a nice, smooth and long manual focus for your follow focus setup. just get manual lenses

• Any updates?

• @xztraz

Personally, I am too busy now with Panasonic cameras.

• Shame you're too busy.

I'm looking for a longer Exposure Delay (currently 1-2s) and introduction of "proper" RAW. Rather than the bastardised Nikon NEF format. :)

• rename nef to raw, problem solved

• Any idea when we will get a hold of 60fps in d5100 or any hack for that matter?

• @osmar92 When you create it.

To everyone who is posting comments asking for things they want:

Please consider that you are only creating noise on the internet, and you make it more difficult for people who are actually competent to collaborate to do so. If you can not be constructive at this time, then please just wait until there is some announcement.

Don't worry, if you are interested in something and you keep an eye on the relevant sites then you will not miss it if and when it happens. Please spend your time meanwhile doing something productive instead of nagging for your most desired feature.

Many thanks!

Personally, I will look at how to up the video length limit on my D3100, because it's a silly arbitrary limitation, and because it makes it impossible to use the camera e.g. for recording a conference presentation, lecture or any stage event, which it would otherwise be able to do just fine in many conditions. Like anyone else who is halfway competent I don't have free time for this at all, so it can take a long time and it may never get done at all. See above. Get excited when something is finished, get working on your own until such time. If you can't help, then simply wait. It is really irrelevant how many millions of people are unhappy with the products they have bought. If they can organize they need to take it up with the producer, not with individuals doing technology research for fun.

Many thanks to Simeon, Vitaliy and others who share their work.

• my comment is not abount naggin but to have the idea of timeframe. So I wondered if anyone had any clue as to how long it may take for thing to happen.Otherwise I can buy another camera with 60fps.

• 2 maybe 3 more years. i say check back 2015, or try to learn writing your own firmware. nikon firmware has clearly no priority right now, and i guess it could get quite expensive. when you write custom firmware, you gonna brick several cameras in the progress from trying to get just the basics to work.

maybe you could donate a camera or two

• How long will it take for a hack?

We are hunting for small clues, in our spare time, for the fun of it. As far as I can tell Vitaliy has his hands full on the GHx work.

Why is it not being doing here?

This site seems very focused around the good work being done on the GHx hacks. We didn't want to distract from that, or have the established community questioning the progress, when we are much further behind in the understanding curve, of how our firmware works.

I really like Stuge's post above, we are not lacking it idea's that we can't already do. Once we have cracked open the Rubik cube, and start getting some win's then we can talk about what other people would like. But honestly, until that point in time, I couldn't give a hoot what other would like done. Help sure, and by help I don't mean ask how you can help. Just out right help or don't help.

So yes, 2-3 years sounds about what to expect. Aka, buy the camera you want to do what you want now, and if somebody works out how to give you more for free at some time in the future, then that's awesome, but base your actions on what is currently available, as there is no promise that anything will be done.

• @swfree, about the aperture arm: not true that they are hard interconnected mechanically. see: aperture preview.

New D800 has "stepless" smooth aperture adjustment. It doesn't appear to be truly stepless, but it does change smoothly. Even the ability to change not smoothly would be an improvement.

Oh, and as further proof that the mechanisms aren't connected, you can adjust aperture with lenses with aperture rings that lack cpus on the D7000 during video. This means that the aperture arm has the ability to move around, even when the mirror is up. (it has to move to allow the aperture pin on the lens to move)

• Sorry for my question, but I have Nikon d5100 and what can this tool add into functions of my camera,заранее спасибо.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions