Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic GX80, GX85, or even GX7 Mark II in Japan
  • 417 Replies sorted by
  • GX85 with Panasonic Nocticron and SLR Anamorphot 1.33x.

• 12-32mm only.

• 12-32mm and 35-100mm Lumix pancakes.

• Thanks. That façade shows the value of good 4K.

• @Mark041 great shot of the Cathedral facade.

• Does this camera (automatically?) stabilise Olympus zoom lenses?

• @markr041

Cool video, Mark!

• I discovered a minor issue today that spoiled my plans. I had a client who wanted to preview still images on location as I shot them. I thought no problem I'll use the HDMI out and just like video send them to a video village monitor. Slight problem when you plug in the HDMI cable it locks the camera in 16:9 mode even in stills mode you can't change it it's greyed out. I found no way around it if someone knows how to force it to 4:3 while using HDMI out for preview please share.

• GX85 + 12-32mm + 35-100mm pancakes:

• Will the 14-42 3.5-5.6 work with the dual IS? I got contradictory information from Panasonic. The chat person said yes, but the compatibility chart said "with lens firmware update". There is no firmware update listed for this lens (H-FS1442A, the later version).

• Like I said, any extraordinary consumer. You heard me, right?

• Hey, I am no ordinary consumer, I am an extraordinary consumer! :)

• When I see something like this, I have to step back and realize how far technology has brought us. Back in '05, I volunteered at SXSW, which allowed me full access to the latest stuff. I had been hoping for years that video technology could get close to film. In '05, it still had not. Except for a touch of moire' in one shot, this video demonstrates that an ordinary consumer can now shoot motion pictures of a quality previously available only to cinematographers working in 35mm film.

• GX85+12-32mm or +20mm f1.7:

• Just grabbed one of these as my first 4k camera. How a quick test to get a feel for the stabiliser/rolling shutter etc. First section of the following vid was shot handheld on a canon fd 50mm lens ! Super stable considering, also used a tiffen black pro mist 1/4 and a low con for that part. The second (football) part was a canon fd 24mm with the pro mist but without the low con. Shot using natural with only sharpness and noise reduction changed to -5.

I'm happy with the footage (light grading using filmconvert) but not yet sure if I will film my next short on it or will pick up a blackmagic micro cinema camera.

I found the stabiliser very effective for mimicking a tripod and small movements, (better than Sony) but a bit jumpy with some pans and larger movement (more so than Sony)

• Focus stacking works great. There are some artefacts, but that is to be expected. You can export individual frames and restack them, if desired. In a traditional stack, the lemon would be problematic--round, with a diffuse color on the edges. Difficult to photograph with just a plain image. Here the lemon is handled very well, there are some edge problems with the origami elephant and the slight curve of the stamp roll. These objects test any kind of camera, and this is a really tough scene to stack, so the quick and easy stack did a good job. You can see some smearing of the bricks above the lemon, but the sharpness is impressive and competes with professional focus stacking software.

Smurf auto stack.jpg
    3104 x 1908 - 658K
  • Must be not released for now.

• if anyone can find the exact site (file) for new firmware, please put it here... i cant find it!

• New firmware

Panasonic today announces a free firmware update (v1.1) for the LUMIX DMC-GX80, further enhancing the camera’s performance by adding the Focus Stacking function.

Taking a single macro photo with specific areas in focus can sometimes be difficult. Focus Stacking enables users to take multiple images of the same frame with different areas in focus, then combine all or selected focus areas into one image.

The firmware update also adds other improvements to enhance the operability of the LUMIX DMC-GX80. The Focus Bracket menu now has a Sequence function, which allows users to set the bracket images to be shot farther and closer from the initial focus position, or farther away. Also, Flash Mode can be set to forced-off when using a built-in flash.

The DMC-GX80 firmware v1.1 is available for free at the LUMIX Customer Support website:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/