Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
'AF-ON' setting in new GH4 firmware 2.5?
  • If the GH4 already has auto focus in video mode, what does af-on in video mode add or improve? sorry if it's a silly or obvious question, there just isn't much detail about it yet from my searches.

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • I saw this update as well, hopefully someone can test to see what it does or how it works.

• @smoke23 I guess even if it is just a performance tweak to "AF" in general, I would be happy with that, especially using with ronin/gimbals in general. Not that the gh4 af is terrible..but compared to the technology in most newer cameras..it could use an update. lol

• Deleted

• So it's a back button focus for video during recording basically?

• Correcting my earlier post. Yes, you are correct. With AF/AE LOCK configured to AF-ON, the AF/AE LOCK button will engage AF during button press while in MF mode during movie capture. It's a momentary switch (AF engaged only while pressed), and the AF/AE LOCK HOLD function is disabled.

• This function is a fantastic addition, we can now AF while in MF mode and while recording too. This for me is very useful.

• we can now AF while in MF mode

Sorry, yes I stand corrected! If AF/AE LOCK = AF-ON, the AF/AE LOCK button will engage AF during movie capture when in MF mode.

• This AF-ON in M-mode is handy when using slow motion or super slow shutter speeds because normal AF is not working in these situations.

• AF-ON is nothing more than normal AF just assignable to a buttom available in M. It does not work in VFR.

• The AF-ON feature is what I was looking for since long ago. I upgraded only for that, and works fine. Finally. I always shoot in manual focus, but now if I need help I can quickly change focus by pressing a button. Until now all the AF-press-features didn't make the job because you had to use them in AF mode. I will use AF mode only if I leave the camera unattended.