Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 with Livestream for live webcasting?
  • Guys, has anyone tried using the blackmagic intensity card with Procaster from livestream?

Procaster is free software on windows or mac and I use it for webcasting live events. I am thinking it could take the 1080 50i and deinterlace it and you could livestream at 25 progressive.

I am going to buy the blackmagic intensity and test it out..... http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

So do I need to hack the camera first or does it not matter?

Do I need to hit the record button or does it not matter?

Any help on this ASAP would be appreciated as I have the event Sunday. I have backups should the gh2 / blackmagic to laptop into procaster livetsream software not work.... but I would love for it to work.

I want to set up the gh2 with the 1.7 pancake lens for a wide live stream and the jump around with my gh13 for actual coverage. I'm still very new to the GH2 and make some boo boos where as I know every crevice of the gh13 like my ex girlfriend.

ps to give you an example of what is capable with livestream: this is a live broadcast in hd with webcams and the gh13 prerecorded footage cued and played live from a laptop:

pretty f-ing impressive.. make sure you full screen it.

http://www.livestream.com/blackoutsbox/video?clipId=pla_66eed6b7-7047-414c-b985-c98269389846&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb

- Blackout

• 50 Replies sorted by
  • anyone tried the Teradek cube?

• We ended up using a 5n for running and gunning (imported the footage into premiere, quick edit and then imported into wirecast (on separate macbook pro with wirecast).. and a canon xha1 that was live all the time, kind of like a station for interviews, overview... e.t.c. So basically we created a small studio in the centre of the main area. Obviously I would have liked to have another cam live, but there were problems with the matrox mx02 and the PC I managed to find to run it.. With time running out and almost nothing falling into place we just had to do it as easy as possible. We had a bunch of laptops that we used for shooting lectures around in other rooms, (clips from those might go into the final edit).

For similar events in the future I'd go all out to find a pro wireless broadcasting unit, and have one mobile live cam... A couple of static IP cams would have been nice also. For overview and change in perspective..

The idea with a strategically placed studio / editing suite was great though. Being in the centre of where people had to pass / hanged out certainly did help to make it interesting enough and those out running and gunning had quick access wherever they went.

The major contributing factor to the success of our work was the two reporters we had, doing interviews, tours and sparking up the events and contributing with their local knowledge and experience. (These reporters were two students who volunteered to do it)

Whilst the live broadcast was a bit guerilla action, I think the edited version will be a very nice display for the University in the end.
  • Pleasure! What cameras etc did you use in the end?
  • @Mark_the_Harp: Cheers for your help! I ended up using wirecast because I ran out of time.. and had no more time to test stuff. Learned lots and even though the live broadcast was a bit messy, there's lot's of nice material to edit down..

:)
  • IP cams: IP camera is another source you can choose then just enter the IP address. You get to IP camera in the same dropdown as "screen capture". Some IP cameras don't work with Vidblaster so see the Vidblaster forum if you run into problems with specific brands. If you have problems, again use an application that shows the IP cam on your machine's screen, then use screen capture to pick that up. That way, you can get most stuff into Vidblaster, whether it's a local IP cam or Skype or anything else.
  • @RRRR Hi there - in Vidblaster, I used "Screen Capture" and then defined the screen area. Where you have more than one participant, just use another screen capture for the each. You could, in theory, do this on a dedicated machine, then stream to virtual device (I think that's it, but I'm away from my Vidblaster PC at the moment) and pick that up on another machine (possibly). What I did was stick to the one machine and record the Oovoo interview locally while the interviewer and interviewee were in other cities. Basically, get them both talking while you get your end recording, then ask the interviewee to start the interview. It's probably not worth risking doing screen capture type stuff AND streaming live at the same time!

Audio for Oovoo interviews on Vidblaster is fine, but I think you have to experiment with the audio source to get the right one. Hope that helps even if (being away from the machine) I don't have the exact words right. Again, for audio as well as screen-capture reasons, it's probably better not to risk trying to stream live at the same time. Record it locally and then either play out the completed interview locally, or upload (which is what I did) and play from the Livestream studio - then you get a breathing-space to set up your next live event.
  • @Mark_the_Harp or anyone who knows.. - how did you manage to bring Oovoo streams into vidblaster? Or did you record them?

Any walktrough on using IP cams would be greatly appreciated aswell.

Cheers!
  • @RRRR Sounds fun! Very best of luck with it - I can't think of any more suggestions except I think your laptop / webcam idea, via WiFi, might be good if you have networks around the place, as it should look pretty good.

Good luck on the day!
  • @Mark_the_Harp thanks a bunch! Results look great!
    The event is @ a University - open house with many activities going on simultaneously.. The idea behind the cast is to bring the event to those who cannot go, so while we can't cover everything - access and simplicity will guide our decision-making. Time is really, really short so I doubt we'll get as far as you came for this event. It will be good in terms of experience, anyhow.
  • Great! Glad it's useful. Definitely think about what you could prerecord - for example, something about the day, or why you're doing it, purpose, outcomes etc, from participants / sponsors (I'm assuming its based in an organization of some sort) and get anything you can in the can. If you set up 2 cams / webcams and if possible a mic connected to your main pc and vision mix it as it's being recorded you can get amazing amounts of material in almost real time, straight to the hard drive and ready to play out. Even live tv networks have a lot of recorded stuff. Plus it's a good way of getting familiar with the gear.

That aside, the more you do in advance, the more buy-in people have and the more they know about the event.

For an example of the types of things you can adapt to your own event, see these examples of different types of things I did for a 2- day harp festival (all unpaid, naturally, but huge learning, and I hope it inspires some ideas). Just wait for the irritating 30sec ad to finish first!:

2 firewire cameras - but could have been webcams - local, mixed live and recorded to hard drive: http://www.livestream.com/harp/video?clipId=flv_09bc25ad-f23d-48c3-8f1f-36f605fcaca6

Interviewer in another city, interviewee in another country, on webcams and mixed by me in a third location and recorded to hard drive: http://www.livestream.com/harp/video?clipId=flv_3c44c145-8c9d-4633-80a4-ae9fcc76b42f

Behind-the-scenes trailer (shot on DV, played out on a loop prior to the event): http://www.livestream.com/harp/video?clipId=flv_dcb02163-f8bd-4e19-806f-c4c6b072d384

Live concert (3 firewire cams): http://www.livestream.com/harp/video?clipId=pla_f037c90c-61e9-4a87-acf7-da8adae032e4

People also emailed me videos as "greetings" to the audience - done on their own video cameras or webcams: http://www.livestream.com/harp/video?clipId=flv_d0a3d308-de73-4e85-9b58-9d8fcfb2b252

What also helped me on the day was that I'd prepared logos, straps and text graphics so I could create consistent titles whether live or over the top of a pre-recorded item, and they matched the branding of the channel itself. That's quite important especially if you have a load of mixed video sources - it ties the whole thing together visually.
  • @Mark_the_Harp cheers! I was thinking along those lines but I didn't know how complicated it would be to get it to work.. Glad to hear it can be done!

The main issue is time, really. There is money (well, not unlimited amounts - but enough to get what's necessary).
  • @RRRR If it's a no-budget cheapie and low res is OK, one way to do it is to use webcams on machines around the building, bring them up on your pc and then use a software mixer like Vidblaster to do separate screen captures and bring them up on different channels - and you can then mix those live. It's quick and dirty but it works. Even with my wonderfully crappy connection here in Cheltenham UK, I vision-mixed (live) an interview where the interviewer was 200 miles away and the interviewees were all over the world. It worked a treat (using Oovoo as a way of getting multiple video / audio feeds to my machine).

I'm sure you can do better if you throw money at it but it just depends whether you have money and time, and if you want it totally live or not. You could also stream live from mobiles using Ustream and bring that up on the screen and put that into vidblaster too, or there are other ways. I've used wired and wireless IP cams before and you can bring those straight into Vidblaster as inputs. You can also play recorded sources into it, and it copes with most stuff you can throw at it. And did I mention vidblaster is free? With the scenario I mention you don't even need any sound / capture cards as long as you stick to webcams, so you could have 2 or 3 webcams attached to your machine to do a main studio bit, and use a decent mic (if you have one) on the audio channel. You can even vision-mix a spot, record the vidblaster output on the hard drive and then play it out later as part of something else.

You can use the chat channel to get people watching to put questions to interviewees etc - really your imagination is the limit.

As you can tell I've done a fair bit of Livestreaming. The main issue is not a technical one so much as coordinatinng it and keeping it all going. It helps to have a few pre-recorded idents or short trailers online that you can play out when you need a break or when you're waiting for a local event to start, so have these prepared and uploaded before the day.
  • Broadcast transmitters are the shit but I'm afraid It's too little time to get it sorted..

Maybe it's one of those occasions when it simply has to be done differently, or more simply.
  • WiMAxwith a good pipe. Or use something like we did such as Broadcast RF wireless transmitters (hired but worth it with guaranteed pro features).
  • Maybe someone would have suggestions for how to solve the following scenario (mind, there is not much time until the event): A whole day broadcast from a building with plenty of rooms and preferably outdoors.. There should be a good wireless internet connection troughout the building. Preferably there should be one or two moving cams with wireless signal transmission that are brought into one editing station along with some static cams.

The complexity of the building / walls seems to count out cheap wireless video transmitters - maybe there is a way to make use of the existing w-lan? (stream video into the editing machine).

Available cameras (to be on the move) are a bit grey at the moment, possibly an EX3, possibly a GH1 or a Nex5n.. And I might be able to dig up some other cameras as well.

I had the idea to mount a couple of static cams using laptops + webcams only. (improve the sound with mics if necessary)

Will a video card be of any use?

• @Blackout Last month, I had Livestream running beautifully off a EX3 with SDi and a GH2 using hdmi with a Matrox MXO2 on a lappy. Worked really well. Livestream pretty darn good, plus Telestream's Wirecast - live producer.
  • @Blackout, as VK says for testing, always check one thing at a time, and take it slowly, and don't get worried, just work through every combination.
  • Ughhhh all this and I am finding out I had a faulty mini hdmi to hdmi cable... so now I don't know if the damn shuttle really worked or not.... might have to buy it again, but now I have the pci card.. but I had to shuffle around my three 5830 graphics cards (take one out and get a longer crossfire cable.... so IF it was the cable.. the shuttle would be a better fit becaiuse I have usb 3.0 on my desktop and laptop

• It's weird coming to the GH2 when I have been entirely used to the GH1 workflow. First off, on the GH1/ GH13 when you went to creative movie mode you were in full manual mode, on the GH2 you are still in all auto mode and it took me a while to figure that out and how to change the shutter and iso to my liking. There is DEFINITELY difference in 1st gen stock from the cam I just bought at B&H.

• @SuperRoach: what do you mean by "agc is active"? if you think the gh2 regulates the iso when you dont want it to- it doesn't. :)
  • For those of you who missed it, here are the tests, and they are exactly what the live broadcasts looked like, no re-encoding

Replays of the live GH2 broadcast tests:

Test One:
    http://www.livestream.com/blackoutsbox/video?clipId=pla_8cca219a-c374-4985-949e-8c742e44d04e&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb

Test Two:
    http://www.livestream.com/blackoutsbox/video?clipId=pla_568a61aa-7786-45a2-bd28-61229b58ed01&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb

Test Three (posting on this board)
    http://www.livestream.com/blackoutsbox/video?clipId=pla_95ac4653-e5f1-42e1-96e4-2e14ef48035c&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb

Test Four: (audio doesn't work from GH2 cam - used mackie onynx blackjack USB and solve the delay issue)
    http://www.livestream.com/blackoutsbox/video?clipId=pla_541fcf8e-57ee-4a91-a90c-a2fa7e387e91&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb

Note: battery died on that one and it kept going and I changed batteries and came back on live without stream going down. impressive.

Enjoy and be sure to FULLSCREEN! amazing quality at 1.5 mbit 4g up.
  • @blackout wow. it's really working. you are singing with a girl.

what was the issue you had? how did you solve it?
  • Yeah - when I did my 3 camera gig I was stuck on 0.36mbps so that was the big limit for us. I'd have loved to have had something better than that but here in the UK you don't get that outside the cities. Where I am now the upload speed is still 0.36 which is pretty frustrating as I'll love to do more of this Livestream stuff and make use of my gear. I had three capture cards too which made it all work fine, just a bummer about the upload speed really, particularly if you're coordinating with material being played out online / from elsewhere as you have to monitor that and it all adds to the load!

We did persuade Livestream to give us a free month's service (ad-free) for our event, which was a plus.
  • 1.5 mbit need 5mbit to do hd, sd, & mobile at once
  • Nice!! Fullscreen is really great. Bet you've got a good upload speed going there.