Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sony FDR-AX53 4K 2016 camcorder

Specs

• 1/2.5-inch 16:9 8mp sensor
    • 4K at 30fps and 100Mbit
    • No cropping in 4K
    • 4K timelapse
    • Slo-mo video at 1080p120
    • 20x zoom
    • $999 price
    • Available in March

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/handycam-camcorders/fdr-ax53

The new FDR-AX53 features a newly developed 20x optical zoom lens with advanced aspherical (AA) and Extra-low Dispersion (ED) lens elements that allow it to produce a crisp, high resolution image within a compact size. The lens also has a ZEISS® T* coating that reduces unwanted reflections and flare.

The new camera is also equipped with a new image sensor with large pixels (approx. 1.6x larger than previous model) that is optimized for video shooting and delivers beautiful low-noise images in all conditions including low-light scenarios. These two key components – lens and sensor – work together to deliver stunning 4K video.

The new camcorder also has the acclaimed Balanced Optical SteadyShot image stabilization technology, which ensures that video output is smooth, stable and blur-free at focal lengths ranging from wide-angle (26.8mm) 3 to the extended 20x optical zoom. Additionally, 5-axis Intelligent Active mode compensates for vibration in five different axes to ensure movie footage is smooth and free of jitters or shake in even the most unstable of conditions.

Other new features on the FDR-AX53 include an enhanced AF algorithm that achieves approximately 40% faster autofocus speed and more accurate subject capturing, as well as a new microphone structure that collects sound from five different directions to produce sound with about 40% less noise and clearer than the previous model 4. The camera also has Full HD 120fps high-speed recording, allowing it to create superbly detailed slow-motion movies6. It can capture time-lapse images in 4K for high resolution 4K time-lapse video as well.

For the more advanced videographers, the new 4K camcorder includes an electronic viewfinder for accurate framing plus a customizable manual ring and manual button that can be assigned to key functions like zoom, focus and exposure adjustments and more. The FDR-AX53 is also compatible with time code and user bit functions and can record at an incredibly high bit-rate of 4K 100 Mbps through use of the XAVC S™ recording format, allowing each frame to be filled with astonishing 4K detail.

Post shooting, 4K video content from the camcorder can be played back directly on a compatible 4K television through the supplied HDMI cable, or in super-sampled Full HD when connected to an HD TV. The new model can also ‘trim’ a selected portion of a 4K video frame to fill the screen with Full HD quality. In this mode, trimming size8 can be changed with zoom lever or on-screen icon. Also, with support of 4K still image capture, users can extract and save 8.3 MP still images from 4K movie footage without impacting the impressive 4K video quality.

zebra656.jpg
    683 x 500 - 40K
  • 40 Replies sorted by
  • @sdaudet

Check manual, and set HDMI output to proper option, most probably it is now set to native 4K.

• Hello everybody. I need help ... i got 3 ax53 and i would like to use it for recor in 4k but i need to use hdmi preview in 720 or 1080 but when you push record hdmi switch off . How can i resolme my problem . Hack firmware existing ? Or any other solutions welcome... Thanks

• Thank you!!

• Vitaliy, do you have an on-camera small powerful LED light that you prefer? I have this camcorder, and I agree with you that it seems best to limit the gain to 9dB, and use a light on it. Then it is quite fantastic.

• I really like this camera for its quick universal use:

• New v1.02 firmware

• Improves the stability of image in pan/tilt operation when using a tripod

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-dime/sony-fdrax53-system-software-update-ver102-win/FDR-AX53

• As far as Sony Camcorders go, the ax100 price has dropped very little in the last few years, and the ax33 has dropped like a rock. All things being equal, I think it's far to say no one wants the 33

Drop in price is not because no one want it. Of course camcorders are much less popular now, but main difference is that for consumer products like AX33 you usually see good sales discount around year after introduction.

AX100 still did not get any replacement, and most probably it won't get one in a year even, before we will see 4k p60 10-bit HDR chipsets.

AX33 and AX55 are one of the best things amateur can get. As it is good camera with super compact 2 axis gimbal. For amateur for inside dark things is cheaper to get on camera small powerful led light.

• As far as Sony Camcorders go, the ax100 price has dropped very little in the last few years, and the ax33 has dropped like a rock. All things being equal, I think it's far to say no one wants the 33. One problem here is that even with a one inch sensor these cams are going to look pretty crappy in low light (as I found out...). So ppl may be reluctant to get the smaller sensor even with the added benefit if IS. But a cheap 33 might be a good deal if you are not filming in low light.

• @Tommyboy

None of competitors have similar stabilizer.

Note - Panasonic hybrid stabilizer is good for small movements, but for large it just can't work.

• Point taken, besides the $$ amount wasted is there better "quick" 4K all in one solution?

• I see no difference, really.

But price for AX33 is almost 2 times less.

• Sensor size different.

7.20 mm vs 7.76 mm

AX53:

SENSOR TYPE

• 1/2.5 type (7.20 mm) back-illuminated Exmor CMOS Sensor
    • EFFECTIVE PIXELS (VIDEO)
    • Approx. 8.29 Megapixels (16:9) *SteadyShot" is set to "Standard" or "Off".
    • Approx. 8.57 Megapixels
    • EFFECTIVE PIXELS (STILL IMAGE)
    • Approx. 8.29 Megapixels (16:9)/Approx. 6.22 Megapixels (4:3)

AX33:

SENSOR TYPE

• 1/2.3 type (7.76 mm) back-illuminated Exmor CMOS Sensor
    • EFFECTIVE PIXELS (VIDEO)
    • Approx. 8.29 MP (16:9)
    • EFFECTIVE PIXELS (STILL IMAGE)
    • Approx. 10.3 MP (16:9), Approx. 7.74 MP (4:3)
  • My understanding is that the AX55 has bigger pixels than AX33 hence you can expect lower noise patterns and bit better resolution.

Are sensor sizes different? Or AX55 has lower megapixel one?

• Sure. My understanding is that the AX55 has bigger pixels than AX33 hence you can expect lower noise patterns and bit better resolution. BOSS is only better when you compare it with AX100 but it looks like to be the same for both AX33 and AX55. So at the end of the day it is price vs some slight differences plus I may keep it for the price of AX33 since it is open box deal. I would love to buy AX100 for the manual freedom you get but you can't have everything in one package at least that's what Sony is not putting out there.

• Can you elaborate in more detail on this?

I mean, what is better in BOSS in newer camera?

How much better is noise?

What you mean under "improved resolution"?

• The main reasons are:

• Better BOSS stabilization in 4K

• Cleaner noise from the AX-53 as compared to the AX-33

• Improved resolution

• Thanks VK. I was just trying to justify getting a dedicated 55mm ND filter for it. Seeing is believing so I can't wait to play with it ;-)

• Knowing that you can't set iris and shutterspeed independently. Is there a benefit to put the 55 mm ND filter on especially when filming outside in a very good sun light situations?

Of course, as shutter speed will change.