Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
What Voiceover Mic should be used to complement indoor dialogue
  • I'm shooting a scene with indoor dialogue - and I'm planning on using a Audix SCX1/HC to capture that conversation. However, later on one of the actors in the earlier scene has a voice over. Should I use the same Audix SCX1/HC (in a sound room) to do the voiceover - or should I choose a mic that is designed for voiceover work? Initially I thought I should use the same mic because that way it would record that individual's voice the same way - but now I'm not as sure.

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Why not? Just use good mount and pop filter.

• Mostly because if I look up the "best voiceover" mic's - I see a non-overlapping list compared to the best "indoor dialogue boom mic" - so that made me think that perhaps an indoor dialogue boom mic wouldn't be a good fit. Sounds like it should be fine.

• Mostly because if I look up the "best voiceover" mic's - I see a non-overlapping list compared to the best "indoor dialogue boom mic" - so that made me think that perhaps an indoor dialogue boom mic wouldn't be a good fit.

Large diaphragm mike can make you better sound, yet your mike must be totally ok.

• Your mic is hyper cardioid, very suited for indoor work. Perhaps not the first mic I would associate with VoiceOver, but as VK writes, setup correctly with pop screen or foam muff in a studio it would be fine. Main advantage to using same mic is same sound profile, less post work.

• Depends on what you are looking for. To blend dialogue with overdub use same mike as regular dialogue (in same room hopefully), ala ADR. For a clear separation between voice-over and dialogue use a broadcast mike or other large diapham condenser with a pop screen in front.