Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 NTSC Limited FHD MP4 record time?
  • So I was shooting a live speaker event yesterday and wanted to try out FHD mode with a lower bitrate (20mbps) in MP4. I noticed it only gave me 27 min of record time and read the manual which it stated: "when the motion picture size is set to [FHD], [HD] or [VGA] in [MP4], you can continuously record a motion picture up to 29 minutes 59 seconds". I have an NTSC GH4, is there a reason for this? So basically if I want a lower bitrate, I'm stuck with AVCHD if I need the clips to span? This was the first time I've ever tried the lower bitrates. However, the manual states on page 60: "When the motion picture size is set to [FHD], [HD] or [VGA] in [MP4], you can continuously record a motion picture up to 29 minutes 59 seconds" or until the file size reaches 4gb. - Since the files size becomes larger with [FHD], recording with [FHD] will stop before 29 minutes 59 seconds." I tried a 32gb, 64gb, and 128gb card...same thing. It will span at 200mbps but not 20mbps? Weird

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • I live near Monterey Bay, California I have never shot in a mode that did not record continuous 4GB segments until the battery runs out. Typically that is over 3 hours of unattended Video.

Are you sure you do not have a PAL camera made for Europe?

• Nope, I purchased from Texas Media Systems when it first came out . I always shoot 50 or 100mbps and just wanted to try the lower bitrates. It states it clearly in the manual, however I don't understand the reasoning. I tried it out and sure enough, after 27 min on all my cards (32gb, 64gb, & 128gb cards) it stops recording, as it states in the manual. In AVCHD, the files span just fine at any frame rate.

• I think that's the way it is, and was with the GH2 too.