Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Fast and small zooms
  • After checking out some 1" and micro 4/3 point and shoots with very compact f/1.8-2.8 zooms, it makes me wonder why it is apparently so hard and expensive to make similar zooms for interchangeable lens cameras. I mean look at the lx100 lens. Its really freaking small and has a wonderful f/1.8-2.8 3x zoom range. Why cant manufacturers make the same lens for $500 or less for their interchangeable lens cameras? It makes no sense to me.

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Remember that lx100 lens is covering a bit smaller sensor compared to native m43 sensor.

• Still, look at the relative sizes and prices of even constant 2.8 zooms for m4/3 compared to the lx100 lens which is even faster but might cover a slightly smaller sensor. I just dont get it.

• @joethepro because the fixed lens is optically quite bad, but the camera has software to correct that. The GHx cameras have something similar with Panasonic lenses, but with interchangeable lenses you can't go as far as with a fixed lens (especially if you have any manual controls on the lens).

• If sigma can make full frame and s35 fast zooms for less than a thousand, someone should be able to make a m43 zoom at f2 at least.

• @Psyco I disagree. I think it is because historically interchangeable lenses have always been big and expensive, and companies dont want us to know that we could be buying them much cheaper and smaller. There are ways, Im absolutely sure of it, to shrink them down and still maintain decent quality. I dont care if they arent Canon L series quality, Id take kit lens quality just with an f/2 or f/2.8 aperture. I like the way Sony did its 16-50 kit zoom with one ring and the rocker zoom. Unique, kept it small, and it works. It is doable, they just have no reason to do it because we keep paying lots of money for the big lenses.