Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Microsoft Surface Book, 4K output, USB 3, and Nvidia GPU
  • 13 Replies sorted by
  • Well done Microsoft!!! Was thinking this sounds great, but was doubting it would have a backlit keyboard, which is pretty important for me - though sure enough - even a backlit keyboard! Looks well designed, very capable, and super portable!

• Was going to buy one until I went to the store and saw the price!!!

$2699 for the model I thought would be $1499...

Sorry, I bought your Surface 3 Pro for $1299 on pre-order, but this is $1000 way off for an oversized premium PC Tablet convertible without at least a 4K Display and pair of Thunderbolt 3 or USB 3.1

• Gotta' wait to see what GPU and processor specifically are included to know whether it's priceworthy, but it does seem odd that this guy is 2700 loaded when a similarly-specced 13" macbook pro (i7, 16G, 512G) is around $2100. 600 seems like a lot for a touch screen and a mobile gpu... but if the i7 in the high-end Surface book turns out to be quad-core, that'd make a big difference!

• @NickBen

Well, $2699 is for now and for top i7/512G version.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I guess the $2699 Price is only justified if I could get it in Pink... ;-}

• @NickBen

Looking at the income charts of top 2-5% I still do not understand why they ask so little :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev You nailed it perfectly, a PC for the "1%" !!!!!

HP, Dell Bless Microsoft Surface Book, Welcome The Competition In Laptop War by Steven Burke and Matt Brown on October 7, 2015, 2:11 pm EDT

CRN article

Hewlett-Packard and Dell, which helped build the once-undisputed Windows operating system monopoly by partnering closely with Microsoft for years in the PC market, are now publicly welcoming Microsoft's Surface Book as their newest competitor in the intensely competitive laptop market.

"Microsoft’s announcement will help establish a super-premium segment for Windows PCs," said HP in a prepared statement provided to CRN. "We think it’s great that Microsoft is investing to build an underdeveloped segment. Today, less than 1 percent of the total consumer PC industry is Windows PCs over $1,500, and Apple dominates the premium segment. If Microsoft invests in building that segment, it is good for HP and creates opportunities for us to expand our high-end business. " ...

• @NickBen

More than 1%, but idea is such. Saddest thing that it is stupid and quite poor monkeys who want to look like rich and trendy ones who buy most of costly laptops and gadgets.

In cameras market same trend became very clear this year. Margins are rising on exponent.

• Seems late in the game to turn your brand around and point toward the stars. But hey, Datsun did it so why not.

• @brianl When you have billions in cash on hand to tinker with it's not very far-fetched.