Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Field monitor (only) with features like Atomos Shogun
  • Hi!

As I browsed the web on the advantages (or lack thereof) of using a Shogun with my GH4 I realized that I'd really like to have all those software features on my field monitor. Since I am not going to need external recording I was a monitor-only solution comparable to the Shogun. 1080p would be nice also.

Any ideas, anyone? Thanks!

Edit:

@Vitaliy_Kiselev Here's a list of my desired features (could have thought of that myself...):

• Custom frame guides
    • 1080p
    • IPS display (or whatever technology bright enough for outdoor usage)
    • normal HDMI port (not mini or micro)
    • waveforms, RGB levels and histogram would be nice but are not a necessity.
    • focus peaking
    • 7 or 8 inch
    • a nice user interface

It doesn't have to be cheap (it couldn't be).

• 11 Replies sorted by
  • Can you provide list of all required features?

• SmallHD DP7 or AC7

• That 1080 monitor/recorder/video Assist for $500 USD from Black Magic looks promising… https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicvideoassist

• The BMD Video Assist is what I'm holding my breath for! Likely I'll get it as soon as I read a few reviews on it.

• yeah, if it was just a little bigger. I looked and couldn´t find any reviews so far.

The SmallHD options all have 1280 resolution.

• Video devices PIX-E units look promising. But they're not yet available.

I guess I am going with a Shogun afterall. There's a 300$ offer if you buy it together with certain cameras and it will hold up for a few years and cams to come.

• If weight is a concern, the PIX-E7 might not be your best option anyway. My E-5 is like a little tank, both in terms of build quality and weight. The 7 is going to be a monster.

• Although having a recorder's great, I really am looking at the TVLogic 058W. 1080P and lots of advanced function is great for someone like me who DP, camera op, and 1st AC on various productions.

• Jack, have you used 8 inch monitors before? I reckon 5inches is just ideal and not too unwieldy.

• @IronFilm Yes I have. I don´t really see myself running around with the shogun mounted on my Ronin. I have a 5" on there. The shogun would go on a tripod or on a neck strap for the assistant with the follow focus.

• If you don't need SDI inputs, the newly announced Atomos Ninja Assassin might fit the bill: http://www.atomos.com/ninja-assassin/

It's basically a Shogun without the SDI connectors and audio breakout cable (no XLRs, etc). But it sounds like otherwise the firmware should be similar to the Shogun. Weighs a bit less than the Shogun as well.

Pricing is $1295 which seems reasonable for a 4K recorder, but might be a bit expensive for just a monitor.