Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Looking for a cheap m4/3 low light Lens with autofocus
  • Hello, i want to buy another Lens for low light conditions for my Lumix GF3. Currently i have the standard "Panasonic 14 - 42 mm / F 3,5 - 5,6 " I know there is the "Panasonic 20 mm / F 1,7 Pancake" but its quite expensive (~250€ on ebay) , so i wonder if there is any cheaper alternative? I think it can also be another connector (with m4/3 adapter) as long as the autofocus works. Thank you!

• 14 Replies sorted by
  • Well, the cheapest that you could get with AF might be the Sigma 30mm f2.8. However, with f2.8 aperture, you will still end up at around ISO 1600.

• glad i dont live in europe. 250 euros is the price of a brand new 20mm here in the u.s.

There are no other choices. panasonic 20mm 1.7 or olympus 25mm 1.8

• used olympus 45 1.8

• there is no such thing ... you want a good fast lens - you pay the price tag.

• This may be useful to you: http://hazeghi.org/mft-lenses.html

The Sigma 19mm f/2.8 for $200US will be stop or so faster than your zoom lens at the same focal length (not a lot of difference) or you could look at the Olympus 25mm f/1.8 which is around $300US new.

You're probably not going to find autofocus lenses much cheaper than that - and as far as I know, the only adapters allowing third-party glass to autofocus on micro 4/3 cost more than the Panasonic 20mm.

• Thanks for your help. The other option is to have an old lens with manual focus and adapter. For 25€ i can get a YASHICA Lens ML 50mm 1:1.7 and the Adapter is again 25€. Has anyone experience with this?

• I don't have experience with that 1.7, but yashica ML lenses are really gorgeous. They are generally very sharp, even wide open. I really like the look.

• Doesn't help you much: They are too long for MFT, so harder to focus.

Try to find a used Panny 20mm, it's very sharp even WO.

• Thanks everyone. I did it. Bought the Yashica Lens and the M42 to M4/3 Adapter for together 50€

• groan....you were asking for a m4/3 lens......The yashica isn't automatic?

I would of said the 25mm 1.8 Olympus

• @suresure123 I changed my mind when i found out that there is no cheap automatic mft lens. Since i am no professional and i just want to try a little, i dont see the point to buy a lens that costs more than i paid for my camera including lens. Also the GF3 is not the best camera out there. Maybe in the future ;-)

• It is a valid option when you are starting. When I started in photography I've bought a lot of legacy lenses - was good to learn more about focal distances spending less money. And how to use manual focus - very useful until today.