Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Moire
  • Probably the wrong catagory so please move it if necessary. I was hoping 4k was going to cut down on moire but it really hasn't. The AX100 gets stunning video but I still have the psydillic shirt (power line, building edge, etc) issue and can't figure how to correct it in post. I'm using cs5.5 mostly. Any guidance.

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • @Peternap so anoying, isn't it? You could try a rockglass filter. We used to use them when the GH1 came out, oh so many years ago.... http://caprockdev.com/antimoire.htm

• What are you diplaying it on? I noticed moire and aliasing dropped down when I got a 4k monitor. Scaling can be a problem.

• Could be scaling but I'm also getting it when I shoot in 1080p. I'm seeing it now on my laptop.

• You'll have to dial sharpness down to -3 to stop aliasing (stepping on diagonals, power lines etc). Moire patterning (the moving rainbows on shirts) will happen with any camera.

• No sharpness settings in the AX 100 mrbill.

• I hate moire. Before I traded in my Canon 7D for the GH1 (GH13) I went to caprock in New Jersey, USA and bought 3 different strength filters. They worked a little but the heaviest filter I bought still made things very diffuse on an already soft image on the 7d. The GH1 was much better and I never used the Caprock filters again.

Today I am very happy. I shoot with the GH4 exclusively in 4k mode and scale it to fit a 1080 timeline in Adobe Premiere. I haven't seen any moire in a long time :-)

• Here's something to check - when working in Premiere be sure the program monitor is set to either 100% or 50%. If it's set to 'Fit', you could very well see aliasing as a result of the non-integer scaling.

• Thanks Ralph. It is set to fit.