Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • And here is an article in German computer magazine "Chip" speculating on the GH5. They claim their information is based on some business reports from Panasonic.

The list of rumored features they name in the linked article:

• same 20MP sensor as in GX8
    • 6k video recording (no indication of frame rate)
    • 4k video at 60fps.
    • announcement in September 2016
  • RottenCarcass, You misunderstood or I failed to explain.

I want the option of buying a GH5 without IBIS. Others would want a Video or stills Camera option, I prefer the Hybrid GH4. Only thing the GH5 needs for me to upgrade is clean ISO 6400-8000.

Part of why I sent my A7sII back was a bloated menu and a lot of other things like IBIS that I do not use. They could have fixed the menu problem by adding "My Menu" where I could add only the items I use. Nikon & others have this.

• "option NOT to have IBIS." I'm sure you can turn it off - so if you are on a tripod, you can turn it off and it should not affect battery life. You turn it on only when you need, and never otherwise. IBIS may add to "size and weight", but the A7sii is not very much bigger than A7s, only a little, so it can't be that much. From my point of view, I'd rather have the option of IBIS that I can turn off, than not have the IBIS capability at all.

• I wish there were an option NOT to have IBIS. I have an A7s and returned the A7sII partially because IBIS adds size, weight, and heat + burns through batteries faster. It may be great outdoors "Hand Held" but of negative value on a TriPod.

• I think the GH5 should have some additional internal stabilization because the A7 series has IBIS and the Panasonic lenses has jitters.

• GH5 could use that SteadyXP idea by using its accelerometer and higher than 4k pixel readout (maybe 5k) and stabilizing 4k video moving that 5k frame according to accelerometer info. I think that G7, GX8 and some Sonys does that by moving and cropping fullhd video.

Just go and buy some small stabilizer.

Electronic stabilization is good idea and even most advanced ones sometimes can do erratic things (in camera ones, idea to move it to postprocessing is actually good one).

• GH5 could use that SteadyXP idea by using its accelerometer and higher than 4k pixel readout (maybe 5k) and stabilizing 4k video moving that 5k frame according to accelerometer info. I think that G7, GX8 and some Sonys does that by moving and cropping fullhd video.

I still dont know how the OIS and camera accelerometer could co-operate well. Is it the idea of dual stabilation in GX8?

• It would be nice if Panasonic integrated in the new GHx a real video stabilization as SteadyXP

Let's do without link to kickstarter.

Almost every Panasonic body (and many lenses) already have hardware to record orientation changes, same as this box that is extremely cheap inside. And it is not, huh, real stabilization. Real stabilization are steadicams or gimbals, or OIS or anything like it :-)

• It would be nice if Panasonic integrated in the new GHx a real video stabilization as SteadyXP

• Not a miracle, just better bitrates, a flip screen, better battery life, better ergonomics, way less rolling shutter, and maybe h265 and 4K60.

• Panny will need a miracle to beat A6300 feature-wise especially if the price will be more than $1k.

• You would think with the announcement of Sony a6300 that they would speed up the announcement of a new GH cam

• Yeah, just read about that in another article too :(

• It is CAR sensors, one with unspecified date (most probably never) and another approximately 2020.

• Panasonic have a big shoes to fill here with the next GH camera. Well they can just make many necessary upgrades on the GH4 many of which have already being well articulated in this thread. Add good clean low light to at least ISO 6400 or better and in body image stabilization and I will be happy. I didn't buy the GH4 but I rented it a few times and use and their next HG camera will determine if I sell all my Panasonic related gears or stay.

• it would be cool if panasonic can make(or borrow from leica) fullframe sensor that can recognize lens and adapt crop,for m43 lens it would be croped and for full frame and manual lenses it would read out from whole sensor

• If Panasonic can still manage GH5 FW details, then please:

-make the camera show exposure numbers during video recording

-make all important video menu items possible to assign to FN

-give us auto iso in M with EV adjust

-make AF lock work like it should: on-off-on-off etc.

-play button to right side (at least with FN option)

• If Nikon can surpass the low light capability of their latest FX camera (D750) with the D500, there is hope for the GH5. MFT is not a lot smaller than DX and they could even put a DX Sensor behind the MFT mount.

My GH4 is so handy for hiking and trips that I doubt I would let it go soon.

• Too late, I couldn't wait anymore and am in the process of selling all my GH4 bodies and M43 glass. I was forced to as I needed something that can deal with extreme low light, this is one and only reason as I loved everything else about the GH4.

I'm trying to be more flexible in the future so I've moved to the A7S II and went back to EF mount glass. An expensive lesson as I went from EF to M43 and back to EF.

In the distant future I'm looking something in the FS7 price range so I would be interested to see if Panasonic will have something between the GH5/DV200 and the Varicam systems. I'm still looking forward to seeing the GH5.

• The newest Panasonic VariCam will be announced Feb 10th. We will soon see what they are capable of. I hope it is a lot better than the AG-DVX200PJ (and the GH5 is a lot better than the GH4) or I may sell my Panasonic stock

• @Tron @caveport I understand where the market is right now and what the industry is capable of, and especially what filmmakers want. But these companies are just not going to give us this stuff in these small inexpensive packages when thats exactly what they offer in their top of the line stuff. I just cant see it happening yet. I would LOVE it, but knowing how they operate, its a "fat chance" to me. I will be pleasantly surprised if we see this in the next gen cameras.

• @joethepro "By heavy post production, I assume you mean green screening? 10 bit could also be said to only be used for heavy post when you are pushing the footage alot and need it not to cause banding..."

It's not just about chromakey or heavy post work. 10 bit is critical for log footage.

We were desperate for 10bit way back in the early 1990's because we were having issues with 8bit digital in std def! Nearly all recording formats were 10bit after the original D1 8bit format started to fade away. I find it pretty shocking that we are STILL having to deal with 8bit codecs today. Back in the mid 1990's the standard professional digital spec. (Digital Betacam etc.) was 10bit 4:2:2 YUV. The modern 8bit 4:2:0 YCbCr has really evolved from consumer spec. DV formats that were all about writing speed and storage size.

For a GH5 I would like to see 10 bit 4:2:2 and timecode that can set itself to the internal clock whenever it is powered on. To have to set timecode to internal clock EVERY time the camera is powered on creates post-production issues if the operator forgets to set it.

• @joethepro The GH5's real competition isn't a "pro" cinema camera, it's the A7S II. Panny will never match Sony's sensor size so they have to exceed it in other specs... higher frame rates, more resolution, better color space, etc. Inexpensive 10 bit monitors and TVs are now in cheap abundance, so are cheap/fast SD cards and more efficient recording codecs. It makes no sense to continue producing 8 bit cameras unless you're a company on a mission to please camera sceptics and cynics - but we'll see soon enough.