Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic, series 3
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • @Driftwood
    Once again, many many thanks Nick.
  • @driftwood Quantum patch seems to shoot 1080 24p fine onto Sandisk Extreme 30Mb/s cards. Sweet! I was wondering how AQ4 would affect write reliability. I don't have streamparser (on mac), but... So far so good. Thanks Nick!
  • @shrigg
    Streamparser etc works super on Virtual Box etc
  • Who? 1080p24 AQ4? Quantum leaping!!!
  • @alcomposer I tried and couldnt get it to run, I'm completely windows ignorant. PM me if you have any tips
  • @driftwood Any progress on your mjpeg hacking? does this mean we could have true 4:4:4, or at least 4:2:2 and GOP1?
  • @ivokwee GH2 does not currently have 422 in any mode- that was gh1. GH2 is 420 currently... But what a 420!
  • @vokwee still testing mjpeg, my first port of call is trying to get a decent screen size setting in mjpeg720 to work with Panny's 3D lens - I refuse to give in till Ive exhausted all attempts!!!! Despite everyone saying forget it! Im still learning the other settings which are quite different to AVCHD.
  • I'm using Driftwood latest seaquake. To clarify to those that hasn't use the patch, the audio only jumpy on slow computer. So it has nothing to do with the recording datas. All audio work perfectly. Does anyone know if per frame size, which codec has more data Driftwood or Chris's 66mb? I'm curious because I tested both last night and they are very identical in IQ, color grading, and green screen. Except, Driftwood's is a little brighter. I can't really prefer one over the other. But the intra stuff is nice to know but does it really worth the extra disc space it takes up over Chris 66mb? I'm not noticing any different with the intra patch.
  • @gh2hacked - I have a hard time believing that Brandin's 66mb preserves the same amount of detail when there is movement and plenty of extremes (when long gop usually drops information) in the spectrum. For many uses, however, there is probably no difference.
  • @gh2hacked,
    You wrote: "I'm curious because I tested both last night and they are very identical in IQ, color grading, and green screen. Except, Driftwood's is a little brighter."

True > 66Mb/s AQ2 looks good overall. I've used Chris's 8/29 version. It's probably one of the most solid all around . It produces decent size static i-frames but Ralph_B's tests did show it gives up a bit on the motion vector frames.

Not to long ago I posted here (can't remember the name of the thread) a low light test that showed the difference in low light detail quality. I compared driftwood's reAQuainted against stock and another 176Mb/s GOP3, You can clearly see the difference in macroblocks as the image disappears into the absence of light.
    The higher bitrate settings are less smeared and render finer detail.

This is the reason why some felt there was more noise with these high datarate settings. Ralph_B did a great comparison between several settings compared to HDMI raw RGB. You could clearly see the differences, especially in motion frames. Also you could also see differences in how they handle and reproduce noise. Noise is seen as motion. So using driftwood's SeaQuake GOP1 setting and working with post noise reduction, this setting allows your NR software to make a better model for a more accurate noise reduction.

In the end, it really depends on how much you're into the final output quality. If 66Mb/s is good enough, so be it!

• @gh2hacked to add to @proaudio4 and underline what @RRRR says, INTRA will always look better for motion, and don't forget with pure i frames you dont get so many artefacts; if you do fast zooms, pans, or anything where the pixels rapidly change (ie sudden bright lights or drastic change in highlights) any predictive LONG GOP will have problems predicting what the fuck happened/ will happen in the p and b frames until the next i frame.
  • driftwood, Proaudio4 and RRRR.
    Thanks for the info guys. Just got out today and shots with the seaquake in day light. It is incredible. Image is sharp and so clean! Also, I change the L setting to 100mbs just so I can record longer like "Zaven13" said above. Everything work flawlessly. Thank you all for the hard work!
  • @driftwood Thanks so much for your tireless efforts at making incredible patches! I have been using the amazing reAQuainted. But I've lost track, is seAQuake the current pinnacle of quality for 24p?
  • @ka00 At the moment seaquake is best, but when Quantum is released everything will change.
  • ...and to add to what driftwood and proaudio said, GOP1 motion helps tremendously when you dolly/slider a complex macro shot. I shot his Seaquake settings when using the 45mm Panny/Leica over a box of jewelry (lots of detail) recently and the difference between the footage and that of other 66mb settings I used a few months ago was tremendous.

Cudos to Driftwood and GOP1 Seaquake.

Can't wait for Quantum! (if it is better than Seaquake - I could care less about spanning and video length) Woo!
  • I wonder if there is a way to get more than 10 min of Recording with Driftwoods Settings, already using 32 GB Cards and know that 64GB ones out there.
    But an Adapter or something to Pipe Data from slot to SSD or something would be very Great.
    Anybody knows such a thing? Or do we need to make some DIY thing?

P.S. Hope it's not to much off Topic ^^

Best regards

Dark
  • @driftwood How you coming with feedback on Quantum. I've got to play with it a bit and the 24p H and L worked in the limited fashion I used it. On the 24p in H mode it recorded ok to a Sandisk Extremee 45/mbs 16gb card, but got write error on the Transcend 16gb class 10 card pretty quickly as expected. In L mode, both cards recorded. Let it run and spanned for about 10GBs. Mainly shot low light non action stuff. Going to do some filming from car to further test. Took a still from the quantum 24p H mode in lowlight and was impressed.

That being said, I'm looking for a solid L setting to drop back to for both spanning and lower bit rate when I have to drop back to say shoot some interviews were the higher bit rates are not needed and sdhc cards/capacity are an issue. I"m not sure GOP 1 is needed for interviews, but if I can afford the disk space, this may work. I'm not a fan of loading new firmware while working/shooting, so looking for the combo that Quantum may provide.

If someone would tell me how to analyze/ test cadence, ie, what to look for, I'd be glad to report back as I'm going to spend some time on my gh2's in the next couple days testing for reliability. I have gh13 streamparser v 2.11, but mainly look at it to see min/avg/max in frames mode.
  • @jfro The present L setting in the Quantum beta should be low enough! How low do you want it?!!! ;-) Don't wanna compromise quality. I'm still waiting for @balazer to confirm the L setting as its his realisation that made this happen.
  • I shot a musical performance using the Quantum L setting yesterday, spanned perfectly! Kudos @driftwood
  • I shot for a couple hours 24p H on scandisk extreme 30/mbs 32gig card with not one write error. I didn't test spanning or 720p. 24p H looks and works great.
  • @shrigg could you streamparser one of your Quantum files and upload to me thanks mate.
  • @driftwood I'm still struggling to get Streamparser to run on my mac so I'll just send you MTS files for 24H and 24L, now uploading!
  • Just to add from the other thread, the 64GB SanDisk Extreme SDXC UHS-1 (95MB/s) will span SeAQuake. Tried it using Kae's denser death chart and it had no problems recording. Playback didn't work though.
  • @itimjim have you tried power cycling camera for playback? Sometimes this works...
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions