Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
RODE videomic VS the PRO version
  • I have done some research for a low cost mic for my GH2 shoulder rig and i am very close to order the RODE videomic as i think it has not significant difference with the PRO version. I don't care much for the size, but i do care for the quality. Any suggestions ?
  • 43 Replies sorted by
  • Hi.

@ Vitaliy_Kiselev

"Pro version is smaller and have preamp."

Is the preamp useles, if the camcorder has mic-in-power? For example Sony AX53.

• RODE VideoMic Pro Overview

• It´s good they changed the shock mount on the PRO too - The rubber holders of the original version are slipping off quite easily - AND the mic is always hanging a little bit to the front - Especially with a windscreen attached ...

• VideoMic Pro is updated

• Rycote® Lyre® shock mounting onboard
    • All new capsule with lower noise and higher sensitivity

http://www.rode.com/microphones/videomicpro

panasonic_g16.jpg
    800 x 560 - 40K
  • I'm bringing up this thread up again because I have the same question as when this started, but applied for the GH3. While I know that numerous tests show that the Videomic Pro is much better than the Videomic on the GH3 when turning on the +20 and lowering the input level all the way down, I would like to know if anyone here uses the Videomic on the GH3 and what settings.

I bought a Videomic for my GH2 some months ago. At that time I didn't get the pro version because the +20 was not important in the GH2 camera - according to other tests online. However, I have now upgraded to the GH3 and I can't get the Videomic Pro at the moment. So, I'm stuck with the original Videomic. I tried lowering the input levels all the way down like I used to do in the GH2 but it goes way too low, I am thinking maybe somewhere around level 10 would be similar to the GH2 all the way down. Anyone has test this, or anyone has the Videomic on the GH3?

• @peaceonearth Once you get it working, I'd love to hear what you think of the Pro vs the Rode Stereo. I tried a Rode Video Mic about 4-5 years ago (it was probably the Rode Stereo) and didn't like the quality, so I'm curious if you're seeing an improvement. That Rode Video Mic from 4-5 years ago was noisy as hell.

• @matt_gh2 thanks for the hint. I don't think it's the camera settings as it works with the rode stereo mic and it's the same fault on two different cameras.

• @peaceonearth I'd contact Rode to see what they say. Maybe first check the camera menu or camera manual to see if there's a menu setting to select audio source (might be a choice of on-board mic, versus the mic input) - just a guess.

• I ordered a RVM Pro for the BMPCC as it's the only small DSLR mic with a 20+ db boost. Unfortunately it does not record audio neither on the BMPCC nor on a Canon. I can hear the boost of the noise when switching to +20db and knocking on the body too - but no recording audio. I tested two batteries also another mic on the cameras which worked. Is there a possibility that I made a mistake in setting up or is it just dead on arrival?

• @JCVD

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3583/2.5mm-to-3.5mm-audio-adapter

As they are quite cheap I can recommend buying as many various as you can get and test them all. I got one here from amazon Germany.

• Hello guys!

I need help!

Since there is 2.5" jack connector on the GH2, I ordered a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter to connect my Rode Videomic with it.

I was pissed off when noticed GH2 is not able to handle the mic, not even recognize it.

I am sure GH2 needs a special 2.5" to 3.5" adapter.

Can somebody show me an ebay link to a simple adapter which works with the GH2 properly?

Waiting for your help guys!

• @fosterchen I'm not real excited about that. It looks like a videomic Pro glued on a squashed H4n. I'd rather have the component items....I guess it depends on the price

• Still waiting for the premiere of the Videomic HD in 2013..

• Thanks! It'll be here Friday.

• @peternap

http://www.mxlmics.com/microphones/field-recording/FR-300/

Yep, it is very good mike, it is sensitive and quality is good. Plus price is really good.

Feedback from guys at comments at:

I have this mic and have had surprisingly good results for the price. Very surprising. I also own a Rode NTG-2 and a Sennheiser MKH-416. In side-by-side tests of the this mic against the Senn ($1000 US) I was blown away. The MXL has a virtually identical sound quality and timbre, but slightly more self-noise. Is the Senn $850 better than the MXL, in my opinion no way. The Rode is noisier than both so I never use it anymore.

It is all about 304. For me, it is too long, and not sensitive mike.

http://www.mxlmics.com/microphones/field-recording/FR-304/

With small recorders we use you need most sensitive mikes, as recorders preamps mostly sucks.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Your recommendations carry a lot of weight Vitaliy. I have the Rode video mic and am not unhappy with it but want a balanced mic for the AC160 and the H4N's.

Amazon has the MXL FR-300 ten dollars less than ebay. http://www.amazon.com/MXL-FR300-Inch-Shotgun-Microphone/dp/B0029YPGQ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347496547&sr=8-1&keywords=MXL+10%22+inch+Camcorder+Shotgun+Condenser+Microphone+Mic

Do you still like the MXL for an inexpensive mic?

• @MikeDax - i had that problem with the Pro version, and ended up using really small tie-wraps to keep rubber bands in place - works great now

• any shoot with a sound mixer and boom op is not going to have an onboard mic to mix, Period

• @kazuo - who TF mixes an onboard mic with a wireless and a boom?

• I bought the regular VideoMic because the Pro version looked a bit flimsy, and I'd heard of the rubber bands coming off. I've never had any problems with the regular one, even running with it on a glidecam it's never detached.

• @mrBill

Actually you are wrong too. If you're a capable location sound recordist you would have three: a lavalier (wireless), a gun, and onboard mike. Then you mix :)

• NTG-3 *highly recommended -Mirror match for the Mkh 416 (industry standard)