Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Samyang 10mm F2.8 EF Mount+ Speedbooster or SLR MAGIC 12mm T1.6mm mft
  • I have a GH2 and will be getting a GH4 soon. I have the SLR Magic 12mm lens with me which is a 24mm equiv on the GH2 and will be 28mm on the GH4 in 4K mode. The samyang with the SB will be wider (14mm on the GH2 with SB & 16mm on the GH4 in 4K mode and will be a F2).

Which out of the 2 is the better lens? I have the option of selling the SLR Magic to a film maker i know and the Samyang costs roundabout the same as what i am selling the 12mm for.

Kindly advice.

P.S- I have been recommended to go for the Samyang compared to a Tokina 11-16mm (EF) as they said It's sharper and has better CA control. Views on this.

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • @club_irate if one lens is 28mm and the other 16mm equivalent on the GH4, the horizontal field of view for them is about 105 degrees vs 65 degrees I think. Use this simulator from Nikon http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/simulator/ pick an FX body and slide the lens focal length between 16 and 28 to compare. They will give you very different looks. So @Vitaliy_Kiselev is saying that your asking which is better, beer or wine, hiking boots or running shoes. similar purposes, getting drunk or protecting your feet, but not used for the same thing. Hard to say which is "better".

• @vitaliy Not sure exactly what you mean.

I just wanted to know user views on those two wide option lenses on the MFT, thats all. So much has changed now with the SB and all those 2x and 2.3x focal calculations when setting up a lens kit for yourself on the GH4.

• Let me rephrase.

You ask, if one 50mm lens is better than another 85mm lens. Well, they are different :-)