Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
DJI Ronin-M
  • Dji Ronin-M gets a price $1399

Even though I haven't used this product, for the price and features I think it will be great. I used the original Ronin before on a rental shoot and by biggest problem with it was the weight and size. This one seems to have lose weight and shrunk in size with the same features. I certainly will be getting this at some point. This certainly puts the stabilizer gimbal market at a interesting point.

• 60 Replies sorted by
  • Ronin M vs KVS P4

• @jclmedia

I am sure you can read that it was lighting deal, very short. Just ended.

• actually $1400

• got my ronin m today, attempted to balance my gh4 12-35mm and it seemed to be good, the Motor Power on the app looked fine, what are some good settings tho that everyone else uses with this lens? Thanks

• dont know why im posting here , cuz my last post no one has responded in over 3 months lmao.

What you meant in your last post - "what lenses can you use"?
    People are good at helping you if they understand.

I want to get a Ronin m hopefully soon, has anyone ever done that FlexShop on Adorama ? I can pay $64 a month and pay one off, is that worth it or just buy a new one?

It is simple economical calc, if you have a job to do with it and no money to pay fot it without credit plans - you can be better getting it.

• dont know why im posting here , cuz my last post no one has responded in over 3 months lmao.

anyways.....

I want to get a Ronin m hopefully soon, has anyone ever done that FlexShop on Adorama ? I can pay $64 a month and pay one off, is that worth it or just buy a new one?

Thanks for any advice.

• what lenses can you use?

• DJI Ronin M calibration and balancing

• @MikeLinn Thx for sharing the run test shot. What settings did you use to minimize up and down shifts?

• According to the specs on BH the URSA mini should fit on this... am I nuts?

• I've found that doing a "Calibrate System" can really help, especially when changing environments (going outside to inside, etc.) Humidity, temperature, etc. seem to throw it off sometimes, so if I can, I turn it on and let it acclimate on the stand near where I'm going to shoot. Then I calibrate and auto-tune.

• @HillTop1 You can check the firmware in the iPhone app, it should tell you the info about the hardware there but you need to plug into a computer to upgrade the firmware.

I've never had an issue with the motors. With the Ronin off, I balance the cam so it stays in any position I put it in. Then I turn the Ronin on and do an auto calibrate with the iPhone app. Then just check and make sure the motors are close to 0 power when the camera is still. Unless you're doing something crazy, that should give you good results.

• After upgrading the firmware and shooting for 3 hours today, everything looks good. The roll shift is gone and everything stayed level for the entire duration of filming.

If you have a Ronin-M, you should definitely take the time and update your firmware

@Xenocide38, is there a way to check which firmware the ronin-m is running? The new firmware that's posted on 2015-08-06 on dji download page, is that the latest one or where is the new firmware? I am getting a rental unit and I wanna make sure I am not gonna have same problems again.

Also with the unit I had last time after doing a really good balance, a couple of times the motors in unit went to "la la land". The gimbal became shaky and I had to power it off and put it aside. Did you or anyone else ever experienced this? I still wanna own one, just wanna make sure.

• @Xenocide38 thanks for the heads-up.

• @alexuwa After upgrading the firmware and shooting for 3 hours today, everything looks good. The roll shift is gone and everything stayed level for the entire duration of filming.

If you have a Ronin-M, you should definitely take the time and update your firmware.

• @alexuwa I got the firmware updated and will let you know how things go. DJI claims they've added a periodical "roll check" to the firmware so we'll see if it holds up.

For anyone looking to update the firmware on their unit, you HAVE to use the supplied USB cable that came with the Ronin-M and you NEED to use the Ronin-M assistant computer application NOT the regular Ronin version. The Ronin-M software is different than the Ronin software.

I tried for quite awhile to get the firmware upgraded but my computer wasn't recognizing the device until I used their USB cable. I'm not sure why there is a difference but my standard micro USB cable was not working.

• Yeah, would be good to have your Feedback.

• @alexauwa I'm planning to update it tomorrow and see if that fixes the issue. Fstoppers seemed to have a similar issue:

They say they fixed it by re-tuning it but I think that was just a temporary solution to their problem.

• @Xenocide38

Did you update to latest ronin-m version? Did you lose smoothness? Did the roll axis issue has been fixed?

• @kellar42 thanks for the tip on firmware, will get mine updated and hopefully that fixes the issue.

I like the look... in moderation. Just like sliders, drones, timelapses and jibs, if an entire project utilizes only 1 tool, the ultimate product can be a little "meh" I like the variety that comes with using all these tools together to create compelling content.

• @kellar42 you talking about Firmware 3.0? In dji forum I just read about causing problems.