Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 Firmware 2.3, V-log for $99, Epic Panasonic marketing fail
  • 1451 Replies sorted by
  • @chef - I see Balazer_GH4_log_LUTs_v0.1.zip doesn't work but Balazer_GH4_log_LUTs_v0.11.zip does, is that the current version? Oh and thanks! I do have a request - is it possible to have a Cine-D to Log profile for 16-255 source levels, as that is the default so more widely used?

• @aaronchicago show us 8bit vs 10bit plz :) Maybe I will buy a extern recorder too.

• @Dr_Jon, yes, v0.11 is the latest version of my LUTs. It is possible to build a LUT for 16-255, and I hope to be able to do that. I support just 0-255 now because that's how the camera was set when I profiled it. If you or someone could record a second or two of video of the GH4's internal ARIB color bars at each of the luminance range settings (16-255, 0-255, and 16-235) in Cinelike D, I could establish the relationship between them and perform the mapping. 0-255 is only available in MOV recording. It would be great to have a raw+JPEG still of the color bars also.

• I just tried to order the VLog activation from B&H, but it shows it as a pre-order.... What did I miss? Lol

• I could do that, well except I don't know how to get the still image with the colour bars displayed as it ignores me, but 0-255 is certainly selectable with mp4 as the format. Whether it does it or not is, of course, another question. mp4/4k: http://we.tl/LOKcBaV6jl mov/1080p: http://we.tl/jC3BYkzT6t

• (Should have said, Cinelike-D, all 0s.)

• Thanks, Dr_Jon.

I've made a new version of my V-Log LUT calibrated for the colors of the GH4's V-Log L output. The colors in V-Log L are different from V-Log by a surprising amount. With calibration, V-Log L now matches Cinelike D more closely.

Cinelike D:

V-Log L with calibration:

V-Log L using Panasonic's V-Log/V-Gamut transform (no calibration):

• @ Balazer: First of all, a lot of thanks for these LUTs. I have some questions for you:

1) Is this V-Log Lut, capable to avoid magenta and cyan macroblokings from original V Log footage? 2) Is this V-Log Lut optimised to apply it to an external 422 10 bits recorder? (As Atomos Shogun) Thank you.

• Hi, @paglez.

No, my V-Log L LUT doesn't fix magenta and cyan blocks in 8-bit recordings. But with the Cinelike D LUT you can get very similar dynamic range and color, minus the colored blocks and banding.

The LUTs should work equally well for internally recorded footage and externally recorded footage, provided that the externally recorded footage has levels mapped the same way in your video application. It shouldn't be too difficult to check the levels and remap them if necessary.

• @balazer - were the second set of files okay? Any use? Good luck either way as I like your approach.

• I know this is a stupid question, but I gotta ask somewhere. What does anamorphic mode actually do to the video that's captured?

It seems to me that, if I were to shoot video using the basic settings with an anamorphic adapter, the image would be squeezed, and I could simply un-squeeze it in post. But wouldn't the pixel-stretching be visible? What does this anamorphic mode do-- increase the horizontal resolution, so the pixel-stretching is minimized? Or does it just enable video capture in different aspect ratios?

As I said, i know this is a stupid question

• Tjabo has a good question: I've been trying to find a source to buy the Vlog enhancement, but B&H, Panasonic, and Adorama are all out. Anyone know where it can be purchased now? Or when the next batch comes out?

• @Dr_Jon, yes, thank you. I got the files and they are fine. I am working on new LUTs now.

@Brian_Siano, I can answer that. All the firmware does is enable video capture in a different aspect ratio. If you shoot with an anamorphic lens you do have to unsqueeze it in post, and yes, the pixel stretching is visible, at least in a subtle way. The rendered image can have up to twice as much vertical resolution as horizontal resolution. It's part of the aesthetic of the anamorphic process.

• @Brian_Siano see post below for my Vlog test with 4:3mode and 1.5x anamorphic. http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/206623#Comment_206623

• @Brian_Siano, I spoke with a guy at B&H today so I could ask what is up with this weirdness, and he said the upgrades are expected to be available to ship on October 26th. I don't get it, since this would ordinarily be something that could be bought and delivered online I would think... But it seems that Panasonic is sending an unlock code in a box or something odd like that. ?

• I apologize for the question about anamorphic mode. I hadn't intended to ask that. Thing is, that text was in my buffer from months before, and for some reason the site posted that before I could write my question about v-log availability- which is what I'd intended to post.

Again, apologies.

Glad to know that October 26th is a look-to date for V-log. I have a project where it'll really come in handy.

• @Wenen, I guess I should have followed that guy's lead and ordered my paper in a cardboard box directly from Panasonic somehow... Oh well, live and learn I guess. I just hope there ends up being SOME benefit from actually paying for it instead of just running the "custom" picture profile.

• @tjabo The histogram works better.

• @Soupertrooper, is that really all there is? Haha, oh well... :) I guess maybe that could be a very useful thing when trying to expose a log profile correctly. I currently rely too much on the zebras and overall look of the image on the display or viewfinder with the other picture profiles.

• @Tjabo Zebras work better too lol.

• Do I miss something here? is there a new firmware version from Panasonic coming up October 26th with enhanced Vlog ? And is the magenta macroblock problem solved?

• @Gerondo where did you read this?

• Tjabo asked: "I just tried to order the VLog activation from B&H, but it shows it as a pre-order.... What did I miss? Lol" and Brian_Shiano answered: Tjabo has a good question: I've been trying to find a source to buy the Vlog enhancement, but B&H, Panasonic, and Adorama are all out. Anyone know where it can be purchased now? Or when the next batch comes out? I guess my English is not very good....

• That's brilliant work @balazer gonna try your stuff out this weekend. I believe there will be more news on V Log soon.