Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 Firmware 2.3, V-log for $99, Epic Panasonic marketing fail
  • 1451 Replies sorted by
  • @cls105 it has nothing to do with software- only license key. If panasonic run out of the printed cards then yes there will be a shortage. This doesn't make sense but there you go. It would be very cool to send you code in email- but they wanted to use carrier pigions.

Maybe there is a hand written apology letter in each kit: "Sorry v-log took so long! Please buy the GH5 when it comes out"

• I know I know it is still early but I want to be prepared I use filmconvert on some scenes with their LUT profiles for my GH4 but besides that I don't know much about LUTs so now the new firmware "transforms" the VLogL footage to V709 but where do I go from there? What is V709 and what would be the grading workflow for that?

• Seriously, pre-ordering software is completely useless. Is the internet going to run out of copies or something?

People really are mad about consumerism.

• Can people post the contents of their serial.lst file? I am trying to find some pattern in the list, because it certainly is encrypted :(

• There is a kit lens 12-35mm update too!

• Does anyone have the previous version of firmware so I can do a binary diff?

• The firmware update is now up, for those of us that want to explore the code... or at least try to.

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/index2.html

• Firmware is up but no V-log kits shipping yet. The recommended lut from Panasonic is the same lut as used for the varicam 35.

• but the question remains: will they ship it digitally, too and can I buy the German firmware and apply it to the US model?

It is physical card. As I know it apply to any camera.

I hope we will have on deal option for electronic delivery for long time members.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev you are right, of course! but the question remains: will they ship it digitally, too and can I buy the German firmware and apply it to the US model?

• I was probably getting overly excited! I just figured it would be a global launch, I'll be patient :)

• Where to preorder the update outside of the U.S. :)

Why preorder it at all? As all will be available you will see lots of links.

• Where to preorder the update outside of the U.S. :)

• @Umii

What you can not see?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I can't see it, all I can find for UK is this link and there is no way to place an order on this page yet that I can see. http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/cameras-camcorders/camera-accessories/others/dmw-sfu1gu.html

• @olli66

It is not firmware at all, it is just code. Must work with any camera.

• thanks but the question is: will the German firmware work with my US camera?

• @Umii

I think if you go back, actual price in EU is 49 EUR as they have some promotion.

• @olli66 my German not great but I think this is where you can order it direct in Germany http://shop.panasonic.de/DMW-SFU1GU/DMW-SFU1GU,de_DE,pd.html

The UK link won't let you order yet that I can see

• so...I live in Germany, bought the GH4 from the US to NOT have that stupid 29 minute limation. I paid much more with shipping and taxes than the German model would ahve cost me and now they release in Germany a GH4 without the limitation? and Panasonic does not ship the firmware update (I just assume I have to byu it from the US?) to Germany? why can't the code be just sent by email? when I order from b+h I pay nearly $ 200 for the firmware update. epic fail: yes.

• @discomandavis

Like you have stated, 10-bit will always be better than 8-bit , but hopefully 8-bit won't be that much worse than 10-bit.

• I wont know how I really feel until I can run a series of tests, but from what I have seen, I don't think I will be disappointed with V-Log in the 8bit container, that may just be a case of managing my expectations well, 8bits will never be 10 bits, just like 10 bits will never be 12 bits.

Doesn't mean 8bit is bad, its a Good, Better, Best situation. An external recorder will be my next purchase, though I wish they would make more compact 4k recorder, like a Shogun Star or whatever they want to call it.

• Modified S-Curve version of the last three clips of the original movie. Redesigned for slightly better shadow information. I was going the replace the original with this one and relink this on page 17 of this thread , but I can no longer edit my original post. Vitaliy, if you want to remove this, that will be fine.