Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 Firmware 2.3, V-log for $99, Epic Panasonic marketing fail
  • 1451 Replies sorted by
  • @cls105 it has nothing to do with software- only license key. If panasonic run out of the printed cards then yes there will be a shortage. This doesn't make sense but there you go. It would be very cool to send you code in email- but they wanted to use carrier pigions.

Maybe there is a hand written apology letter in each kit: "Sorry v-log took so long! Please buy the GH5 when it comes out"

• I haven't updated yet- can anyone verify 200mbps 4k capture? Or was that stupid typo?

• Stupid typo.. unfortunately, although apart from the activate stuff there is no sign of v-log at all, so could be linked with the $ spend?

I do like the new Fn1 exit from timelapse function - useful :)

• @Matthere Was there a list of changes posted?

• That's it..

gh4 2.3.jpg
    624 x 291 - 149K
  • That's great. Could have used it last night. Makes it easier for the next time.

• @Umil,

After seeing the LUT applied to two of Nick Driftwoods sample clips, I Feel like I was on the right track with my grade:

Here are two screen grabs of clips of my grades of Nick Driftwood footage and the curves I used in Avid Media Composer 5.5.5,and a screen grab of the same video clip with just the Vlog L to gh4 LUT applied in Adobe premiere pro CC.

t008b shp.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 686K
    Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 2.49.03 PM.png
    1680 x 1050 - 1M
    VLogL-SHOGUN_S001_S001_T008b.mov_100.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 492K
  • it's the same as the Varicam35 LUT, and it kinda sucks

• @shian what sucks about it?

• Many years ago.

Dark and rainy day in school. Teacher tired as hell.
    Suddenly small @shian raised his hand.
    - What it is, @shian? - teacher asked
    - Well, sine that you draw on desk sucks! - @shian said
    - Did I draw something wrong?
    - No, just sine sucks. And cosine also!

• ask BMD users what they hate about BMD's stock interpretation LUT... It doesn't do a very good job interpreting the log ProRes data into something that is truly ready for grading... same here.

• V-log is pink
    • S-log does a slightly better job but is a little green
    • Cineon is great, but comes in dark and dense, but with a very quick luminance remap and it's perfect.
    ungraded.jpg
    1838 x 1415 - 2M
    Vlog.jpg
    1822 x 1403 - 739K
    s-log.jpg
    1835 x 1420 - 770K
    cineon.jpg
    1835 x 1411 - 717K
    cineon quick level placement.png
    1837 x 1422 - 2M
  • The Varicam LUT is a tad bit too magenta, but it's alot better than the Alexa LOG to REC709 LUT. Still haven't seen a better option.

• Cineon is better, s-log is better, I'll likely create a few different options for those who are dissatisfied with the V-log to 709

• I agree with shian on this one. It does "suck", from what I have been able to test (which is driftwoods samples, and a couple of other samples people have posted, not any charts), I have had much better luck with arri's lut than varicam's lut. obviously LUTs are mostly for shooting, dailies, and for offline footage for editing. Some colorists will use it as a starting point. Varicams lut gives off funky skin tones, and still looks faded, like it hasn't properly mapped the gamma curve

• How does resolve kodak lut work with vlog footage.

• Cineon looks pretty good. S Log isn't great. I'd rather skin shift toward pink than green.

• I cant read all here, but I have a simple question; with V-LOG the GH4 can get a look near to Black Magic?

• BMPCC has 13 stops of DR and this gives you 12, so depending on what you are shooting and how you record, it should be comparable.

• @estarkey7, thanks for the info. The GH4 have 10 stops?

• Has anyone got an idea why the 2.3 firmware is out- but the v-log code cards haven't shipped!? Maybe they are still being printed? Most probably last minute decision to charge for vlog.

• But in all reality, what does it take to print a generated number, and mail it?

• @shian I bought the ColorGear Pro (Plus?) package from you. Nice stuff! Really hope for a guide/new LUTs for this new firmware and V Log thingy

• @discomandavis it would be even quicker to email! I wonder how many carbon emissions would have been generated by sending a serial number? Or at least saved our time waiting, we could all already have it now. Time is most probably worth more in long run- it is the only thing we really have.

• @shian

Keep this topic ads free, please.