Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
The End NR4 - Stable - High - Intra - GH2 Patches - 03/28/2015 - by Apefos
  • 125 Replies sorted by
  • if you get rain problem using the deblocking table from the sharp versions above, try using this deblocking table:

deblockingtable_alternative_sharp.txt
    411B
  • @producer Its impossible to tell any quality of detail when you upload the videos at 720p! Youtube uses lower and lower data rates and more compression as you get lower in resolution. You can export the 720p clip as 1080 or even 1440 (recommended), and youtube will accept it as such as use much higher datarates and keep more detail. Otherwise we are just seeing color grading examples and no patch detail. :)

• Patch The End NR4 24H // SOC - but the last 2 shots // ISO between 200 (most part) and 3200 maybe even a 6400 // Couple of ETCs // Smooth +2-2-2-2 // ha ha handheld, obviously // sandisk 64G 95MBs // lens rokkoa MC 50 f1.4 PG13 // before last 5dtoRGB and last one 5dtoRGB + Hybrid + (homebrew) Alien_H-01 LUT + 4K grain from some Kodak film taken somewhere sometime ago // tomorrow I'll try to upload a proRES to my neighbor's goat shed

proRES-LT (3GB) download, direct export from MTS timeline

SOUNDTRACK - Colin Stetson - The Stars In His Head (Dark Lights Remix) //New History Warfare Vol.2: Judges - 2011 LP

Okay now that I spat all the thorns, the feedback. Despite I was doing a pie with Mr. Drift Moon T8, I got info that a friend was giving a concert in some dark place, so I took your The End NR4 120 patch for a ride. It is by no means a proper test (manual lens and no extras) but I'm also not a proper person... some they say my father was a handsome orangutan.

So as I did not do stability stress test... image quality is superb, par with Moon T8 on lower ISOS, seemed marginally better at high ISOS. With "better" I mean easier to clean, with "clean" I mean good results even within hybrid... but I have still to do my pie with M T 8. Colors shine through, pleasant ISO 1600 texture.
    BUT, if you look at RITZ shot 2'30'' at the upper right corner you'll see some red dots... these are not stars or Venuses :P
    Though these were visible in the EVF, I thought must be micro droplets but it is some sort of misbehaving gang of pixels that come and go without a pattern that I had found. Haven't seen this happen ever before, off course further investigation will be done to exclude voodoo causes or internal camera failure.

BTW it is very difficult to follow you @apefos too many itinerations (versions) of too many slightly different patches. How can people even properly test them? Maybe I'm slow or like to do a widespread battery of tests after the first fun ride, but nevertheless that's how I feel. These days Jimi's words were never truer "there's too much confusion"... I'm just talking in general

Also important feedback: VALEU BRAÇO!!! Thank you Apefos and keep up the good work (educate your children) =)

Some loose notes while early testing (only noise and IQ related):
    24H at ISO 6400 worst than MOON T8, but at ISO 3200 noise is less intrusive and a pinch more organic.
    At ISO 1600 is clearly better, same at 800. BEST 24h ISO 200 of all tried patches.
    Cleaner HBR at ISO 200 than MOON, at ISO 1600 HBR not so good.
    720p ISO 800 and below finer noise pattern than MOON. Above, MOON seems better

• @apefos Dear friend, I am working at Gop 1 patches and I'd like to use your 444_02, which seems to have a grey-blue dominant. Which values of the matrix should I correct to avoid that problem?

Thanks.

By the way, I will try later your sharp configuration. But I already have got a very sharp patch in Gop1 (maybe I could match them and let you know).

• @Maxr thanks for the test, the image looks good even with the youtube compression.

@frullaccia I do not have this answer... you need to try. maybe leave the matrix as it is and use the white balance manual kelvin and manual bias can be a good solution. the sharp versions are an attempt to increase sharpness, @producer asked for them so I did, they are experimental.

• two more matrices versions for the sharp attempt:

sharp_04.txt
    sharp_05.txt
  • @apefos: I just tried "sharp_05", don't see it sharper, but somehow it's definitely clearer, i.e. less noise. Obviously GH2 can't give more sharpness...

Also, since you can add or remove the blue/green issue, that means you can change even the GH2 colors a little, right? If there is a least "yes", maybe the greatest ever patch will be if you can change the reds and especially the greens to be little blueish, for example.

• @producer @frullaccia if these matrices (sharp 01 to 05) cannot make image more sharp, so it seems there is no way to do, the quantization is already very low on them. Maybe you are correct, GH2 cannot be more sharp than this...

About color I perceived in all my patch developing work since long time ago that there are two options: first option is when the quantization in color matrix is low and there is the green cast in the image. second option is when the quantization in colot matrix is more high then it helps to clear the green noise and the image becomes grey-blue cast. I think there is no way to increase red using matrices. I myself prefer the blue cast because it is more easy to correct in post production. the green cast / green noise is more ugly, and this green cast shows up when there is more noise/macroblock. the blue cast shows up when the denoise is done correctly. try to adjust the kelvin manual white balance and the green/magenta bias and ambar/blue bias in camera.

The design of Matrix 444 is completely different. It is the opposite of my other patches. The 444 lowers the quantization in color matrix and increase quantization in luma matrix. There is no way to implement chroma denoise in the 444 matrices versions inspired on Valkirye, Intravenus and Smooth Cinema.

The Sharp 01 to 05 matrices uses lower number in DCnumber, 4 instead of 6 and all numbers are lower compared to the the end patches. These Sharp matrices can show a more finer noise and maybe can be more similar to Canis Night, Moon T8, Nebula.

I uploaded two different deblocking table to be used in the Sharp matrices (two txt files). These deblocking tables can also be used in the two 444 matrices versions that I uploaded.

• @apefos: A grading/noise test with "GRIND GRID PINWHEEL V2D HIGH 120 GOP 2-2-2-2-2" SHARP_05 with different GH2 profiles (1080p):

• @producer Does that video show both Pinwheel V2D and Sharp 05 matrix or just Pinwheel or Sharp matrix? Also what iso? Any noise reduction software?

• @Manicd: Yes, both (merged). ISO 1250. The problem is that even I shoot with Canon FD 50mm f1.4 (at f2.8-3) with every GH2 profile with Sharpness at +2, then the result is always soft.

I see no any noise in the .MTS files, really!!! But the little noise above is from Unsharp Mask added and, of course, from YouTube conversion.

I realize once again that Smooth profile doesn't work well with my FilmVision.

• Red dots confirmed to be dead little workers on the sensor ;-(
    Good news is that has NOTHING to do with your patch =)

• @max r How do you know they are dead? Either way the sensor is almost 5 years old, time for a "pixel refresh". Panasonic says to do it once it a year.

• @Manicd I know they are dead 'cause there's a tombstone over their heads where one can read: here lays a pixel, it worked proudly and shined away, R.I.P. I refreshed them as well as washed in isopropilic bath salts, sang some ancient mantras and even try with the reanimator serum...
    Latelly I seem to be crossing a tide of bad tech-luck, anyway, it could be worse... like the joke
    Doc -I've got bad news... you've got cancer... and also Alzheimer
    Patience - Well, at least it's not cancer
    :P

• Did you try pixel refresh with the cap on like 5 times in a row or try it with a light source completely blinding the sensor?

• What auto electronic features really need for shoot video?

• ois, af, ae

• apefos, thank you for firmware I shoot short video. Use g_the-end_nr4_intra120_gop1-1-2-2-2. I found this firmware gives niose picture. What intra firmware give me the best picture and less noisy?

• Hello

I'm a bit lost with all these update. Which one is the last/best STABLE version? I'm looking for the more reliable patch, even if it's not the best of the best image quality.

• Driftwood Moon T5

• Thanks ;)

• Mi reciente Trabajo GH2 20mm 1.7 lumix Patch: g_the-end_nr4_intra120_gop1-1-2-2-2

• @dj5500: The best music GH2 video. A little dirty look instead of the boring thin sharp look of GH2. The post editing was your goal, not only the shooting, right?

• @dj5500 nice editing and picture style - one thing though. I noticed dust prticles or black pixels in the middle of the frame throughout the video - is it just me?

• "GRIND GRID PINWHEEL V2D HIGH 120 GOP 2-2-2-2-2" SHARP_05: