Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
"The End" - Patch for GH2 Hack
  • 66 Replies sorted by
  • apefos wrote: "google it, ebay it... these are filters from the film photo era."

That's how I found the filter 85B which is definitely orange (warm), not cold. I've never used color filters.

I thought you use the combination of the filters you mentioned, that's why I asked you for a video test with them if possible for you.

• five fallback options for people choose how the patch will handle the noise.

lower fallback is better for low iso texture

higher fallback can handle high iso noise better avoiding artifacts

denoise fallback helps to clean gross noise

patches (stable or high datarate versions included):

catharsis = no fallback, same as main matrix

climax = fallback low increase

denouement = fallback mid increase

epilog = fallback high increase

the end = fallback denoise

do your tests

five_fallback_options.zip
  • That's how I found the filter 85B which is definitely orange (warm), not cold. I've never used color filters.

My guess for the confusion over the filter might be different manufacturers using different descriptions of the same thing. It is a warm colored filter but it's designed for shooting in cooler colored light. This would be the filter used on all manner of film cameras so that tungsten balanced stock could be used in daylight settings. I've not looked at the exact equivalency but you can likely make your own in a pinch with some CTO, either a single density that matches the 85 or layers of different density.

Rumor has it Adam Greenberg mistakenly shot a roll of tungsten stock without the filter on Terminator 2 and Cameron liked the look so much the rest of the film was matched to this look. Even if that's not true, the Michael Douglas section of Stephen Soderberg's Traffic was intentionally shot this way for how cold it makes the footage, to place his narrative at opposition to the Tijuana arc with Benicio Del Toro, which was shot with a heavy tobacco filter.

• The good news is yesterday I tested 720p epilog vs moont8. Epilop has much better 720p. Moon has lots of artifacting, Epilog is clearer. I will assume 720p is good in the other patches as well.

Today I tested catharsis, climax, and epilog in 24p. Climax has the most detail of those, although still shows loss of detail in flat areas when compared to Moon. Catharsis even though it has no fallback, it is showing more loss of detail.

Here is example of 24p Moon vs Climax showing flat area example. 640 iso, 40shutter. Each link has four frame shots you can click through.

http://imgbox.com/MY7qdAys

http://imgbox.com/xlueFxjg

• This is "The End" patch with 6 (six) levels of NR (noise reduction) in stable and high datarate options.

The NR6 is the default The End patch with highest denoise.

The others (from NR1 to NR5) have lower denoise amount.

Denoise increases from NR1 (lowest denoise) to NR6 (highest denoise).

Probably one of these will have a best balance between denoise vs. mud/macroblocking. I mean good denoise avoiding mud and macroblocking.

It is recomended to do tests with manual white balance in 3100k in isos 320 and 2000 to perceive subtle differences.

The-End_NR123456.zip
  • There is something important to consider: the patches I develop try to get the best image under a datarate and gop which can keep camera stable. The other developers push datarate and gop more than the camera can handle stable. Due to this other patches can show better results in some image areas, but these patches from other developers can stop recording or freeze the camera. My goal is to get the best possible and keep stability at same time, no stop recording, no camera freeze.

Moon is 150Mbps GOP1 in 24p

The End stable version and it's derivations is 96Mbps GOP3 in 24p

The End high version and it's derivations is 104Mbps GOP3 in 24p

you need to choose: Moon for less mud in flat areas or The End and it's derivations for more stability without stop recording or camera freeze.

I will not increase datarate or lower the gop, I did attempts on this before and the camera hardware cannot handle this stable.

Try to see the image in playback or slowmotion in a confortable distance from screen as your audience will see. Or take the risk using unstable patches which can frezze or stop recording and lose the shoot... Pick your poison.

• I use incandescent setting for wb, which is probably around 2800k?. I'll try manual 3100k for The End 6 level testing.

• Either way your 720p is great. So not all is lost for those who want highest image quality in 60p. And at 24p Climax does look great at full screen. If I uploaded to youtube, without upscaling to 4k to save more detail, you would think Climax/Epilog/End is superior to Moon. The image is very clean. I look forward to see what 6 levels can do for the small detail/mud issue.

• Ok, guys, give me some time and I will change the ini files for 24p GOP 1 and extreme high datarates. I will do correct maths, but I will not do tests in my camera, it will be experimental. 720p cannot change anything.

• I'm still reading and sorting through other people's patches to compare in 24p. @icp has shown on page1 that Valkyrie might have advantage over Moon.

• Also The End NR3 looks best of the 6.

• avoid these patches, wrong settings, see better patches in post below.

qp10_96-3_104-3_120-1_144-1.zip
    qp10_96-3_104-3_120-1_144-1.zip
  • Wow that's a lot of settings.

I just tried END NR3 144. Something wrong, most of flat area is now mud. It seems actual recorded bitrate is lower than NR3 gop3. I'll try some of the others tomorrow to see if any better or same effect.

@apefos Do you have no interest for yourself with 24p or do you just not have fastest card? I would be willing to send a card if you need one for testing 24p/HBR.

• Maybe this is due to I did not change the 24p GOP Tables.

• avoid these patches, wrong settings, see better patches in post below.

qp10_96-3_104-3_120-1_144-1_goptables.zip
  • Well there are plenty of other 24p/HBR patches that I still have to compare. So maybe a new 24p table is not worth it right now.

Edit: Nevermind I thought you mean you had to make new matrix.

• I think the matrix are ok for 24p gop1

In this last upload I used same gop tables as moon t8 for 24p

for hbr I used the same 24p gop tables

moon is using another gop table for hbr

also the gopx2 settings I typed 2 for hbr, moon is using 4

It seems that there is something related to the Encoder Settings also to make gop1 to work, and I do not know how to do.

To be honest it would be good idea @driftwood take a look on these 120 and 144 versions, he knows better how to set the gop tables, gopx2 and Encoder Settings for 24p and 50i when using gop1 intra.

• I have the 95MBps card, but to be honest I am not willing to develop intraframe patches... it is beyond my knowledge, unless I get some advices/tutorial from the "masters of hack".

• Wow, you're quick @apefos. I'm interested in the new NR versions (different denoisers) and the GOP 1 24p patch, I'll try to test it asap.

• I changed the Encoder Settings in the 120 and 144 versions to "Encoder setting 1 1080i/p=1" in an attempt to make the 24p intraframe to work properly after reading some old topics about it, gop tables seems to be correct also:

I do not know if the FSH, FH and HBR PAL will work ok in the 120 and 144 versions because when 24p is gop 1 the 50i is also gop 1, both share same gop... If things are correct 60i NTSC must be fine in gop 3.

qp10_96-3_104-3_120-1_144-1_gt_es.zip
  • @Manicd @icp last uploaded patches should be fine, time for your great tests!!!

• Here is a quick graded test of "THE END NR3 stable" patch:

Every clip shot with ISO5000.

Watch in 1080p !

• Now the gop tables seems to be correct for hbr 30p ntsc in the 120 and 144 versions.

120 version can be a good option for people who likes intraframe gop1. It is 5:1 compression ratio in 24p.

qp10_96-3_104-3_120-1_144-1_gt_es_ipp_30p.zip
  • @producer nice results in your images!

• Tested NR3 144 gt_es.zip in 24p. All detail is captured. No mud. Noise is there but is similar to other high quality patches. Now I can check more 144 patches for image differences. This patch is interesting because for my test scene the average bitrate recorded was 143 with max of 151. Moon was average of 89 with max of 153.