Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Xiaomi Yi Action Camera
  • 122 Replies sorted by
  • raw stills from this cam are great, I use it a lot for timelapses! the video mode can be improved quite a bit via scripts. removing the sharpening and getting lots more detail in highlights, plus disabling noise reduction and pushing the bitrates, makes this quite a nice videocam aswell. especially when you disable the sharpening/coring!

• @morbil - its quite impressive toy - especially when using custom fw or some improvements (and people still work on it). Even with a stock firmware it competes very well with GoPro

• Any scripts worth recommending? My problem is a lack of detail in my video footage

• First of all refocus your lens - if you haven't done it yet. For any scripts browse the Dashcamtalk forum. Attached here is one of the best for video - written for FW 1.2.6, so check your FW version first.

yimax-movie-1-2-6.zip
    895B
  • any difference between these two?

• I'm using this script to record as flat as possible and it's realy great what could be done with this little gem.. I'm using customised fw 1.2.11d2 and this script (without bitrate change lines as I've set bitrates in fw). I'm recording in 2K

yicam2k45mbps01.jpg
    2304 x 1296 - 718K
  • any difference between these two?

No, just sent it twice, but can't delete...

• No, just sent it twice, but can't delete...

Fixed

• @ JOFO - great quality! By the way - how did you set higher bitrate on fw 1.2.11d2 ? By editing bitrates table in AFT, as usually? I've done it on previous firmwares, but it seems to not work for me this time :/ My camera reverts to poor, stock bitrates, even when I have updated it with customized firmware with modified bitrates table to 35Mbps.

Edit: nevermind, got it already to work at 2K & 35Mbps.

• Slomo 120p

• AFT works on all fw versions.. 2K bitrates are index 6-8 I've set 2K bitrates to 45M 35M 25M.. Shooting almost everytime on High (45M). It just needs fast card.. I'm using Sandisk Ultra (95/90M) and it seems to be sufficient :) I had Kingston 90/45M but recording was crashing and at 2K it could record only few seconds (20-30secs) and camera was freezing.

• 2K bitrates are index 6-8

Thanks JOFO, I realized that later, but had some problems while uploading customized fw. Anyway, it worked finally ;)

• @valdi99 - what sort of distance are you setting your focus to? Thanks..

• @mrbill - can't say... Some people say around 1.2m but it was hard to focus on that distance. So I just turn the lens clockwise, couple of times - but for VERY little amount each time (1mm, or better less), taking pictures and checking it (zoomed on PC screen) on every turn. I repeated that routine as long as my results where satisfying - all in focus, from about 45cm to infinity. I ended up turning my lens for about 1.5mm from stock position (glued there). So remove the front cover, than the glue spot, and turn your lens really "just a bit" - not much and check everytime. After several tries you will be fine.

• I assume you're using stills for this?

• Yes, stills.

• What are you guys thinking about my sample pic.. is it focused well or I needs to refocus a bit?

• Looks good to me, unless you don't plan to film some closer objects.

• My place of work - I think focus looks ok

work.jpg
    1152 x 648 - 516K
  • @mrbil - looks fantastic! Any postprocessing involved? Is it still from video or RAW or jpg?

BTW, there is new fw 1.2.12 to download from http://www.xiaoyi.com/update/sports?lang=es-es with official 2K. However bitrates has to be increased on your own.

• Today I made a small refocus and this is result...

yicam2k45mbps02.jpg
    2304 x 1296 - 547K
  • @valdi99 - no, the still is a JPEG straight out of the camera, then resized in Photoshop - 25% of original size. Does anyone know if there's a listing of changes to firmware? I know the latest version supports 2k, but I'm curious to know what the stock bit rate is...

• Stock bitrate for 2K is poor - 15Mbps. FHD at High Quality 15-25Mbps, as far as I can remember...

• New firmware

• Added Photos folder while taking photo in time-lapse and Burst mode;
    • Optimized the power-svaing mode, in order to increase the camera working time;
    • Optimized the hint sound and LED light, helping to recognize the camera’s status;
    • Optimized the experience of loop video record while SD-Card is full;
    • Fixed no response while controlling Camera via APP;
    • Fixed the image reveral setting don’t take effect while recording video in time-lapse mode;
    • Fixed no preview video in app after reconnecting camera;
    • Fixed duration difference between preview video and the actual video file in time-lapse mode;

http://www.xiaoyi.com/update/sports?lang=es-es

• I can't seem to find a stable high bit rate for this camera. I'd like to use it for long unattended shooting, but any more than 4 clips, and new footage is corrupt. Bit rate also decreases for each clip. I'm using a fast Sandisk 64gb card. Any help would be much appreciated - it's a 22 serial number.