Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Digital Storage Solutions
  • 4 Replies sorted by
  • good tips, i too have a solution im thinking of doing with only very important files and that is to backup to BluRay DATA disc...50GB max per disc. Now that blank BD's have dropped in price over the years its now very affordable to backup to BD-R....Why? because BD-R just like DVD-R DL will outlive any hard drive....and can survive Water damage (Under water like in a flood), Extreme cold, extreme heat, Strong Magnetic fields, dropped from 10feet, X-Ray, Fungus, it may be going back a step or two but i have DVD-R's from over 10years ago with family xmas videos and the data is all there. Either i will swap out my DVD-RW drive on my sony Vaio fit (my HD editing Machine 64bit) for a BD-RW drive or get a USB 2/3 external BD-RW drive. A recent wedding i shot on my GH4 in Cine 4k + 4k to HD H264 files + music files/audio + some Gopro3 files + adobe project files =140GB, i could put that on 3 BD-RW's.....i still have a few external 2TB drives as back up but the BD-RW is my next step.

• Any data that you actually care about should be backed up to more than one location.

I'd suggest that instead of what he's suggesting that one invest in a decent home NAS with RAID-6 support (or maybe a Drobo - I hear they're nice) and fill it with 4T (or larger) NAS drives for capacity. Then sign up with a decent online backup provider and back up to them. I use Crashplan and have around 6-8T backed up to them now. If you don't want to pay their monthly fee, you can back up to another computer across the Internet for free using their software so you could also set up a second system at a friend's place and back up to it (maybe you could trade backups). The software also lets you put in your own encryption key to help your friend avoid temptation to look at all your private stuff!

• @eatstoomuchjam : is their software free for download?