Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
How Today's Online Social Revolution Is Dividing, Diminishing, and Disorienting Us
  • 36 Replies sorted by
  • Serious professional filmmakers have gotten their big break from internet/YouTube videos.

What exactly is "big break"?

As for other things, I am just tired to ask to first READ book. Guy is wrong in many of his points, but some of the facts and points make your think.

• I did discuss his ideas with facts and arguments. Maybe reread what I wrote. Plenty of facts and arguments. I didn't insult the guy either. I made observations. Fact) Serious professional filmmakers have gotten their big break from internet/YouTube videos. Fact/argument) YouTube has more to offer than just cat videos. Fact)The guy is degrading YouTube yet the only way his opinion made it to most of us is via YouTube.

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• @Stylz

It is more like personal attack, and worse it is made before you ever read that he wrote.

You can discuss his ideas with FACTS and ARGUMENTS. If you want just to call someone such and such - get bottle of vine and pair of friends and od it in your backyard.

• Could this guy be anymore smitten with himself and days of past? He is mad because the status quo he used to feed off of has been dismantled. I agree with his opinions about cat videos, but to single that out as the sole representation of what the internet has to offer is dishonest at best. He separates the "serious" filmmaker from the internet when in reality if you are a serious filmmaker you will have no problem using the internet and taking advantage of it to succeed...and if you're good you will succeed. How many professionals got their big break from the internet? Many! The guy is a bitter elitist. I also find it ironic he is getting his message about his disdain for YouTube/internet content out using YouTube.

• The biggest channels on YouTube grew rapidly over the past year. In January, YouTube's top 100 channels received more than double the views that they were seeing one year earlier, growing from just over 7 billion collective monthly views to 14.7 billion views, according to analytics from OpenSlate.

Top guys feeling good.

• One interesting example of that official system can do with amateurs (actually they are not amateurs, but from official POV - they are) if they step on their interests and big money are at stake.

• @JuMo

Stop telling "he, he, he". Just think, read, make your own conclusions. Do not use dogmas told by large corporations. They are not doing good thing for you.

• Oh totally, but anyone can find and present data that can help push their agenda, that's basically the tunnel vision I was referring to as a pitfall of taking on the role of curator, either public or personal. You find what you are looking for and look past what you are not. It's our nature, we don't have the capacity to absorb everything at once.

In my opinion, common sense is the best bullshit detector, just as long as you have some common sense, lol. If someone tells me that something is a certain way as a 'fact', I may or may not be inclined to believe them depending on a number of factors, but I will try to never marry myself to a conclusion, especially not an adopted one. At best they set me on my own path to my own conclusions, which may or may not be challenged down the road, by others or even myself. So, I am consciously self-curating this guys perspective and agenda from my sphere of influence because my common sense tells me his perspective is disoriented (hell, he practically admits it as a symptom of modern society). He can present all the data he likes to back his claims, all that tells me is that in the information age, he has taken enough time to find the data that suits him. I'm confident that someone with equal abilities and time could present an equally strong apposing case. Am I going to take that time? No. Common sense is going to save me the trouble on that battle. He is theorizing about how it will affect us in the future based on data he is gathering to support that claim. We're not going back to the way things were now, so we'll all see how it all comes out in the wash.

• @JuMo

Thing with this guy ideas is that you need to research some of them and data behind them and think a little.

On many things I do not agree with him. But you need to think on other ones. Nothing is made in stone and everything has it's good and bad sides. Thing is - mass media and internet giants want us to think that something is only good and other is bad or old or outdated.

• Certain types of people will always be more comfortable and even gravitate towards the almighty coveted gatekeepers, with their superior understanding of what we should know or not. They will defend their importance and attempt justify their control because it is a safety blanket for deferring personal responsibility. Other people do not accept this model willingly and will challenge any form of information authority, instead seeking information through personally developed peer networks. Both have their blind spots and can succumb to the same pitfalls of ignorance and shaped perspectives, but one scenario leaves someone else to blame if things go wrong (and someone else to shape your perspective), the other scenario leaves the blame only on yourself, which, to someone who spends their life deferring responsibility to structure (which is a large percentage of people); it's just not in their nature.

• What???? Iraq, Iran, Georgia, Libya, Ukraine... Are you telling us that the established western media have been providing accurate and unbiased reporting on these issues? And that no journalists independent of these instutions have been able to provide alternate sources of info? If this is what you are suggesting you are completely out of touch with reality.

• @VK I may be missing your point. When I think of "local journalism", I think of newspapers that focus on small area. We have a town "Gazette" newspaper that covers a few neighboring towns. It's always been worthless, other than seeing which high school teams won football games or finding out when the next town pie baking sale will be held...or maybe some debate about a local law that is pretty petty. The issues that affect people tend to be state and national politics/taxation/legislation, and big business practices. Those issues were better covered in this area by the Washington Post, and are even better covered by "the internet". Am I missing your point (if so please explain as I'm interested to hear what you mean)?

• In terms of a "real sample", I'm not thinking about local small town newspapers, but rather the national news about politics...the reality of money and power.

And I am telling about local things, where journalist make huge amount of work, where they had been real power. This is the area where destruction is most serious and where elite was fighting their main war.

They injected strange and absurd idea that some people working for free in their free time without any skills, rights to be on the place, any skills working with data and documents will replace professional institutions. People are huge help and bloggers and such could be big asset, but only as small addition to professional institutions. Institutions that must be on the peoples side of the war with big corporations .

• @VK I see your point re internet companies displacing local shops (we lost a good camera store here locally). I will need to research and think on this more to see how this affects the larger economy as a whole. It's an interesting point.

@VK In terms of a "real sample", I'm not thinking about local small town newspapers, but rather the national news about politics...the reality of money and power. My example is CNN and NBC...vs the internet. You tell me "who do ya trust?!"

@VK I agree that truth alone is not the solution. The society/mechanics need to be altered for change to occur. But 1st step is truth. Will humanity take 2nd step?...I dont know.

• my question is why do you think the internet has helped to increase this trend?

All big internet companies are doing this for sure, as their owners and most workers belong to this top class, at same time their are destroying local shops, media, full time photo/music/video workplaces. You can find plenty of facts.

..and I think a lot of people do...thus the internet beats mainstream media when you want detailed truth.

How about real sample? What can do more good - few real newspapers in small town with their journalists and normal people influencing that they are doing, or absence of normal press and TV and pair of strange bloggers working most of the day and one or twice a month telling you horrible "truth"? Truth by itself has no use until you have society and real mechanics to fix issues standing behind it.

Not to say things are good now, but I believe is paints a misleading picture of how it "used to be".

He has right to paint any picture he wants. His point is that road that we take has alternatives contrary to that big corporations and rich elite are telling you.

• This guy suggests a fantasyworld of years past where artists somehow made a comfortable living. What planet was that on? Not to say things are good now, but I believe is paints a misleading picture of how it "used to be". There's a bit of "get off my lawn" in this guy's attitude.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I understand rich are getting richer and poor and middle class are getting poorer, but my question is why do you think the internet has helped to increase this trend?

@kurth You are right regarding truth and media. It's obvious - who's going to tell the raw truth about govt/big biz/money and power...Wolf Blitzer and Brian Williams, or the internet bloggers? Lol. Yes the internet has a mass of information that can be confusing for some, but I too had the experience of learning to sense what is BS and what is true on the internet. ..and I think a lot of people do...thus the internet beats mainstream media when you want detailed truth.

• But I'm curious, which charts are you referring to (I'd definitely like to look at those)?

Browse back, you will find many charts how income changed in last years for top ones and the rest.

but among the bloggers that do, some of these bloggers still express their opinions 100%

Such thing does not exist, they can say loud words, but always adjust that they write.

He believes that the controlled media system was superior and truthfully informative, while I believe that the "industrial media ecosystem" was the problem, not the solution. That's his premise, stated plainly for anyone to hear.

He said very compressed version that you understood wrong.

He is talking about professionals doing their work. Yes, it also involves editors, tasks and doing many daily repetitive things. Exactly normal media is being destroyed by cheap copy past news and infortaiment from one side and unprofessional Internet things from another .

I think instead of constant repeats you better read his books, he has many weak points, but some valid ones. Main being that capitalization of Google and other information behemoths are largely based on the fact that they destroyed normal ecosystem and promoted freebie / cheap solution (that was not solutions, but trojan horses, including close connection to government agencies and selling your private information/data/ work).

• You know I was one of those bloggers...for 13 months...in 2009...while I was researching 911. It was an interesting experiment. I got 130,000 visitors, and besides making some very dangerous enemies who threatened myself and family, and tried to sue me in New york, I learned how to understand exactly what I heard and read....

he says...." the old media world which was controlled from above, the industrial media ecosystem was very good about informing citizens about what was happening in the world. The democratized media of the internet doesn't do that. It creates chaos. "

There's no going off "into third circle" there V. He's saying , in the first minute exactly what is his premise. He believes that the controlled media system was superior and truthfully informative, while I believe that the "industrial media ecosystem" was the problem, not the solution. That's his premise, stated plainly for anyone to hear. The "cultoftheamateur" topic , besides being a hypocrite and pushing his book on youtube, is really a side issue used to push his agenda ...which is, we need to be controlled by some official system. A premise is always stated in the first paragraph.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I fully understand reality of elites having money and power. But I'm curious, which charts are you referring to (I'd definitely like to look at those)? Are you saying that the internet has helped to increase the power/money of the elite? How has the internet made life worse for the masses?

(What I meant to say regarding bloggers, is that yes many have advertisers/sponsors, but among the bloggers that do, some of these bloggers still express their opinions 100%, and some of them change their content to be in line with their sponsors wishes/products etc.)

• Whether that will that lead to an increase in freedom and/or any significant change in politics and economics and power/poverty issues is still unknown.

If you open charts you will see that for now it leads to better and better life for elites and worse life for everyone else. Facts tell this.

Regarding non-political information, such as camera bitrate and lenses and other areas of interest, the internet has obviously increased the spread of information.

Imagine how much better it could be if everyone had special small fund each month (it'll vanish at the month end) from where you could buy information only and only from small/self publishers, authors.

Regarding blogger funding, there are some bloggers who let that influence them, and there are those who don't

Well, few bloggers can survive without direct financing and selling space. Only top ones. Proves the point.

• Regarding news and spread of information, the internet has clearly increased the ability to find the truth regarding politics, big business, "corruption"/influence, money, and power. It's true that ~90% of people still get news from mainstream media and that mainstream media is consolidating. But the ~10% are now becoming more informed. Whether that will that lead to an increase in freedom and/or any significant change in politics and economics and power/poverty issues is still unknown.

Regarding non-political information, such as camera bitrate and lenses and other areas of interest, the internet has obviously increased the spread of information.

Regarding the quality of art/movies etc., the issue of problem of quality getting lost in the sea of content is perhaps real. It also happens to be that in last 2 decades, the quality of movies has gone down. So together, perhaps we see a culture that is less artistically dynamic.

(RT journalists, for example Abby Martin, do a good job of pointing out money/power/corruption issues worldwide. She has also on occasion criticized Russian action she felt was wrong.)

(Regarding blogger funding, there are some bloggers who let that influence them, and there are those who don't.)

• The ptb have always retained the authority to say what is valid truth and who's just spouting trash....until the internet. How long will freedom prevail...with so many attempting to destroy her ?

I think you went into third circle. As I said, his point is completely different.

I really like fairy tale about independent individual bloggers who in his free time is making independent investigations, check and get documents, make photos for all this and such. Reality shows that around 99% of such things are sponsored dirty things, just due to simple fact that people want to eat and need money.

Same thing happens in video, music and other areas. Fairy tales are good for talks. Life is hard and smaller and smaller pie part go to people and larger and larger pie go to few leaders (you can find proof with charts in this blog).

• Yep, when anyone could buy a car, no one needed stagecoach drivers. But that problem is entirely different than dignifying media organizations as certified truthtellers, with everyone else designated as amateurs, who should be burned at the stake, or at least, banned from participation, like galileo. That's where it all started right ? The ptb have always retained the authority to say what is valid truth and who's just spouting trash....until the internet. How long will freedom prevail...with so many attempting to destroy her ?