Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic G7 topic, 4K castrate monster or GH4 for poor
  • 719 Replies sorted by
  • @dapdap Thanks - cool - will probably try this camera out - glad video is safe. Hopefully stills issue is fixed.

• 100% crop , taken at 1/125s on a tripod. It's less obvious at other speeds.

@matt_gh2 mecanical shutter works only for stills, video is safe ;-)

Electronic shutter 125e.jpg
    800 x 600 - 83K
    Mecanical shutter 125e.jpg
    800 x 600 - 72K
  • @dapdap Is this for stills only, or does it affect video?

• I've got my G7 for one week now and I confirm Dpreview findings : there's an issue regarding the mecanical shutter at some usual speeds. It's not as subtle as they say though ...

Can you show specific examples?

• I've got my G7 for one week now and I confirm Dpreview findings : there's an issue regarding the mecanical shutter at some usual speeds. It's not as subtle as they say though ... Rather obvious actually. Fortunately, there's plenty more to be happy with :-)

• G7 uses GX7 sensor and GH4 LSI.

• No, it's a PAL model, and yes it has the 30 minute single take limit on all video modes.

What is this???

G7 uses same sensor and Venus engine as gh4?

LSI is same. As for sensor, I think not, it is GX7 sensor as I remember.

• G7 uses same sensor and Venus engine as gh4?

• @LiquidAlpinist

No, it's a PAL model, and yes it has the 30 minute single take limit on all video modes.

• I would like to know as well because this is the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on buying one.

Well, use that is present now and that is working (as for now it is few bodies). Or do not use :-)

I do not know any other cheap good quality m43 4K body without time limits.

I can not say anything that will happen with any new firmware (as it is Panasonic actions, so no one knows).

P.S. No sales talks here, all this go to PM, it is camera topic.

• I'm confused now too.

• I would like to know as well because this is the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on buying one.

• Could you elaborate on the unlimited recording available thru this deal only? If an update for this camera comes out and we install it will we lose this special deal feature??

• So if I buy a NTSC version from B&H or any US dealer, 4K, MP4, & AVCH has unlimited recording time?

No.

• So if I buy a NTSC version from B&H or any US dealer, 4K, MP4, & AVCH has unlimited recording time?

• Wow even unlimited 4K??? I may just have to upgrade my G6 then!

• G7 kits are available in PV deals

http://www.personal-view.com/deals/cameras/panasonic#panasonic-g7

Note that it is both NTSC and PAL bodies, PAL do not have 30min limits in AVCHD only.

NTSC bodies are unlimited (including 4K and all).

sales11.jpg
    800 x 506 - 41K
  • @Energy80s

Glad you like yours! I still like my venerable G6. Since you have the G7 in your hand, I'm assuming it's NTSC, does it have the 30 minute limit in every video mode?

• Well, I like mine! Coming from the GH1 and then GH2, this is a major step up. Yes it has a very light, plastic body, but I see that as a bonus as the last thing I want to do on holiday is carry a load of heavy camera gear about. Image quality is very good and 4K does downsample well. Not overly happy about the built-in colour profiles as I see very little difference between most of them (Standard, Natural, Portrait - all very similar, and Vivid, Scenery, CineV - very similar). As I don't grade, i'm not interested in a flat image, but instead something that looks good out of the camera (we call it Good Ungraded in the BBC) so will probably settle on Scenery with a half black pro mist running at 4K for most of my work.

• @ Vitally_Kiselev +1. Still, reading the review, you do get a whiff of that Canon fanboy aroma. The reviewer takes the view of how the camera fits in against its competition. For those of us looking for a solution to the conundrum of image quality/video features/price, that is not so useful.

• Now a camera having a lot of touchscreen and manual controls is considered a defect for a midrange camera.

Well, considering journalists level now, it is not worse thing they could do.

• Solid low light test

• Dpreview one: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8149199759/panasonic-lumix-dmc-g7-review-posted

Now a camera having a lot of touchscreen and manual controls is considered a defect for a midrange camera.