Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Freely refocusable camera, Lytro
  • lytro.jpg
    522 x 559 - 39K
    lytro1.jpg
    800 x 530 - 85K
  • 68 Replies sorted by
  • Another video about the Lytro and with some more info in general about light field cameras

• What is your guess when this technology will be ready for serious video work?

• The Lytro Light Field Camera is a rather unique digital camera with an impressive feature, that of being able to re-focus the images after you have taken them. It's managed to produce this in a compact, but strangely shaped, digital camera with an 8x optical zoom lens with a bright f/2.0 aperture.

The ability to choose your focus and have the rest of the image out of focus, gives the subject excellent separation from anything else in the frame, producing quite attractive results. However, using the camera, it feels as though you have to deliberatly setup the scene and shot to produce the correct effect, otherwise, you may as well be taking the photos on a standard camera, as the low resolution images of the Lytro are quite disappointing. Even when viewed at the full resolution of 1080x1080 the quality is quite poor, and although a firmware update improved image quality the images are still very low resolution.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/lytro-light-field-camera-review-20354

• Lytro, Inc., creator of the world’s first consumer light field camera, today announced that it has raised a $40 million round of financing from new investor North Bridge Venture Partners along with existing investors Andreessen Horowitz, New Enterprise Associates (NEA) and Greylock Partners. Jonathan Heiliger, a partner at North Bridge Venture Partners, will join the company’s board of directors.

“The opportunity to build a new set of creative tools for 21st-century storytelling is monumental and we’re excited to embark on the next phase of our journey,” said Jason Rosenthal, CEO of Lytro. “This additional funding will help fuel Lytro’s continued growth and the expansion of Light Field photography with new products and audiences.” Founder Ren Ng added, “We're thrilled to continue our momentum unleashing the full potential of Light Field Photography and living pictures.”

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20131120005223/en/Lytro-Raises-40-Million-Funding-Expand-Picture

• Since Lytro needs something like an 11 megapixel sensor to create a 1 megapixel image, I think it'll be a long while yet before it's ready to create a 32+ megapixel 8k image, much less do it at 24 frames per second. :)

• Lytro makes obsolete all photo/video skills...................................GO.

combine Lytro technology with 8K,RAW, and a 5 axis stabilizer, and yes.....need for skill will basically be obsolete.

Is this the same camera/technology that was being shown off maybe 2 years ago? The demo video was footage of several people in a room and the cameraman was walking up to each person then showing the "focus in post" ability.

• Perspective shift

• Also it looks like Nokina is not too far from making such things

Today Nokia has announced the completion of its acquisition of technologies, developers and intellectual property from Scalado. But why should Nokia fans be excited? Well: the precise details of the deal are secret. And will probably remain so until they emerge into products.

Via: http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/07/24/nokia-boosts-imaging-know-how-with-exclusive-technologies-brains-and-ip-from-scalado/

• I have not personally taken photos with one of the Raytrix camera models, but I attended a presentation they did when they received the "CHIP award". Unlike Lytro, they were pretty open regarding exact specs, pricing and so on of their products, it's all published in here: http://raytrix.de/tl_files/downloads/products.pdf

Besides the industrial clients, there is one guy known who actually uses Raytrix cameras for artistic work, Martin Häusler, he published some stuff on his page.

• @karl

Thanks for link.

Do you have some personal expirience using this cameras?

• I wonder why plenoptic cameras have only recently been hyped - is that just because Lytro announced to sell a toy version of them?

If you want to buy a decent plenoptic camera, with much higher resolution, decent software, just visit the Web pages of Raytrix, a company that has been selling such cameras way before Lytro even announced one.

Unlike Lytro, Raytrix targeted its offerings primarily towards industrial applications, which can actually make good use of the plenoptic feature (while for private snapshots, this is a just a gimmick for an hour, IMHO).

• The wait is over. The Lytro Desktop Application is now available for Windows too. The Lytro Team has been hard at work on behalf of PC owners and can’t wait to introduce you to this new way of taking and experiencing pictures. To celebrate the new software, we’re offering free shipping on all camera orders placed this week

Via: http://blog.lytro.com/news/windows-is-here/

• I wish they had shutter release built in. What a wicked time-lapse could be achieved with this :)

• @Roberto, I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I am not very technologically inclined in the world of lenses.

• There are some cameras already out there that do mimic the shallower depth of field of larger sensor cameras. It is achievable by software automatically, the success of it depends on the composition. For video, to do it via software I would forgot about it, maybe when our processing power is 100 fold

• @mee, @Vitaliy_Kiselev

but am I completely wrong in believing lephoto lens and software?

you are wrong. It'll take enormous time just for one photo. And result will be not really good.

Although not achievable at home, sounds like a perfectly valid place for somebody to start experimenting and lodge a patent for their own rival camera technology.

Progressive thinking, @mee !

[sorry, a late post here, done without refreshing the thread] I see some good related responses above.

• @Vitaliy_Kiseleve and @alcomposer

Thanks for the responses.

hmm, so maybe one day we can play around with space telescope images using this tech.

• people rarely need anything more than 1080p fo real viewing. Most of the people I know stopped printing photos long time ago.

Good point! Maybe very soon 'still' photos will be 'old fashioned', more like Harry Potter moving photographs. Oh well, you can't use flash with video... yet.