Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Freely refocusable camera, Lytro
  • 68 Replies sorted by
  • We'll see how it goes. And I think cameras will have necessary resolution pretty soon, as people rarely need anything more than 1080p fo real viewing. Most of the people I know stopped printing photos long time ago.

• I believe at some point the same tech was being trailed with 'standard' DSLR's by simply placing a multi lens filter in front of the imaging chip. Thus one could use 'any' lens and create the Lytro effect. I believe its the same people as Lytro that were experimenting on this. Only thing is you need LOTS of spare resolution... I believe they used a Phase One or similar.

• but am I completely wrong in believing much of the effect could be achieved with a standard telephoto lens and software?

Yes, you are wrong. It'll take enormous time just for one photo. And result will be not really good.

• OK, please excuse me if I sound dumb. I am sure the technology is legit, and will shape the future, but with this specific product, other than the ability of shifting the angle which I will admit is cool, would't you be able to create a product that does similar things (to the eye) simply by having a very long depth of field and then using software to change what is in focus and what isn't? I am not saying it would be the same, and perhaps the biggest difference is that this lens having a larger F-stop would be brighter which is obviously worth something, but am I completely wrong in believing much of the effect could be achieved with a standard telephoto lens and software?

• Oh Gawd... Now there is a TED about it... It must be big now... ;-D

So @VK... when are you booked into TED X Russia...

• @joesiv

With lightfield 3D is 100% possible. Adobe is also working on this tech as well, (not with Lytro however...)

This tech will shine when we have < 8K sensors.

• They have said that they will in the future release an SDK, hopefully they do that sooner than later, so people can really start digging into the files and I think we'll see some very interesting things.

Imagine a video raw file with this technology, where you can pull focus after the fact? Sounds great! 3D conversions might also be possible from a single lens.

• @alcomposer

They claim it to be 1080x1080. But it is all so shady, and, as I understand, camera implements new approach to shooting by demanding you to upload raw data for processing and storing photos on company server.

• Yes VK, however doesn't the resultant image (array->rendered image) look more like 300x300? It was very small in many examples... Unless something has changed?

• I would think resolution is a large issue for Lytro, as the tech is not really there yet...

Resolution is their smallest problem, as 1920x1080 is absolutely fine and we'l see it in the next model already.

• Light field cameras are not going to become mainstream until sensors are 10x resolution then they are now... (or a completely different approach to sensor design).

And then other things come into play...

I would think resolution is a large issue for Lytro, as the tech is not really there yet...

• @lenuisible

I don't see anything about "weren't very much confident that it will arrive any time soon" in your link.
    All I see is good description of "hampsters marketing" used by such startups.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev you see, sometimes you're too much skeptical :) the first time we spoke about this technology here (http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/269), you weren't very much confident that it will arrive any time soon. Now it's here, not perfect of course (and useless for most of us), but promising

• Nice that there are people who do not need to earn :) They could sell like crazy this item...

• The lytro sellings has started..

Let's properly rephrase it.
    They started shipping few first cameras to people who ordered very long time ago and expected shipping about two months ago.

• The lytro sellings has started..

• There are plenty of papers on the internet which describe the concept and fwiw, the "original" was implemented using a modded Canon DLSR. The basic idea is you capture a light field which is in essence an array of images constructed using a coded pinhole/aperture array and from that you can reconstruct a final image using some algorithm. Stanford University have an uber camera array which basically accomplishes the same thing. Its pretty interesting stuff. It also allows you to "see through" objects ;) Search for computational photography and you'll get a load of results.

• The image sensor board (in image: Lytro4-5) looks very Elphel... ;-)

• I thought they got aliens technology!!!

• Btw this guys still keep talking and talking and not presenting actual product to masses. Months after months. Looking at photos above we can see pretty standard cheap compact base. Nothing fancy.

• Lytro inside (from FCC report)

lytro.jpg
    767 x 571 - 74K
    lytro1.jpg
    765 x 572 - 93K
    lytro2.jpg
    765 x 572 - 64K
    lytro3.jpg
    764 x 567 - 72K
    lytro4.jpg
    763 x 572 - 104K
    lytro5.jpg
    765 x 572 - 98K
    lytro6.jpg
    762 x 573 - 123K
    lytro7.jpg
    766 x 571 - 71K
    lytro8.jpg
    765 x 571 - 99K
    lytro9.jpg
    766 x 567 - 104K
    lytro10.jpg
    762 x 572 - 105K
    lytro11.jpg
    762 x 573 - 87K
    lytro12.jpg
    761 x 571 - 103K
    lytro13.jpg
    762 x 566 - 79K
    lytro14.jpg
    765 x 571 - 72K
    lytro15.jpg
    764 x 571 - 106K
    lytro16.jpg
    765 x 574 - 96K
    lytro17.jpg
    765 x 573 - 105K
  • @Meierhans I just heard from Jim Jannard---it's been pushed to 2040 and the price was doubled...