Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Live Streaming Solutions
  • Ive got a major live event to film end of this month and wondered what the best solutions to use with a GH2 would be. I'm thinking using the HDMI out to an SDI conversion but would like to know people's experience of using / connecting upto a laptop which is using IP to upload to either a point to point or dedicated streaming server to client end.
    The GH2 needs to be roaming so no fixed cable can be used. So wireless transmitter to receiver would be required, then something to get it into the laptop and then using ustream, telestream or whatever to live encode.
    Any thoughts or suggestions would be well received. Many thanks.
    Nick
  • 50 Replies sorted by
  • I worked an event recently at a church and I plugged into this transmitter which they had setup to feed TV's in the cry room:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-wireless-hdmi-video-transmitter/

It seemed to work fairly well. Of course it requires a wall outlet to plug into ...

• Hi all, just seen this thread which goes over exactly what I am trying to do - use my new 2013 macbook pro to show live video, and images if possible that are being recorded/photographed live from my GH2.

This thread is obviously a couple of years old now, so, I'm hoping that over the last 2 years, the tech options have moved on too. My macbook has thunderbolt, which, from experience connecting macbook to tv, works well with hdmi, but haven't tried it the other way.... although as thunderbolt connectivity can be used to transfer data from a hard drive back and forth, it must be a 2 way connection.

I am relatively new to this and am trying to gather information, as this forum has been so informative in the past, I wanted to ask you guys what you would do in my situation? I would appreciate cheaper options if possible, and, wireless as well as wired options.

Can you help?

Thanks, Rob

• when there is some small movement in the mini hdmi connector is disconnected live view, my GH2 is new, there's someone with the same problem?

• @Blackout The GH2 outputs HDMI only thru 1080i so you may as well use 1080i setting on gh2. Setup the blackmagic card to utilise 1080i and give it a whirl. I know the Matrox 02LE works well.
  • Well I have been fiddling with it for two hours now downloading all latest updates and drivers and software for usb 3.0 and the blackmagic card, but it is just not seeing or putting through the gh2 hdmi video. It recognizes the black magic card but says there is no device connected to it no matter how many times I try and whatever settings I am using and connecting disconnecting the hdmi cable and hitting record on the gh2.

Very disappointing... unless some miracle happens or I figure this out, it's going back to the store.

• Ok, well, I am here next to B&H and the good news is, the laptop is accepting the blackmagic device nd saying I have a fast enough usb 3.0 and computer, so I have it connected, I am about to connect the mini hdmi to hdmi in on the black magic shuttle. What I need to know is, do I set the camera to any certain mode first, or does it not matter for hdmi out? Do I set it to cinema 24p, (23.97) or 60p (59.94) or 1080i 59.94....?

If you can guide me through the menus that would help as I am sooooo used to the GH13 I am having a little learning curve on this.

I am going to try it out and see if I can go live with it on http://blackout.com as soon as I figure it out

• So your friend has a hacked GH2? (Good to know that the virus is spreading!) :P

It has been documented heavily on many forums that you need to record 'in camera' for HDMI to be best quality- I think that it switches from a ycbcr to rgb (or the other way around- I forget).

Your HDMI device should see the camera before you press record- so connect everything together. Then when you are ready to start testing- press record- (you should notice a large difference in colour) then get to know your streaming software.

I have not had experience with the software you have chosen or the Blackmagic USB3 device. Suffice to say that if I were testing this I would be using a MacBookPro with Thunderbolt and using the Blackmagic HDMI Thunderbolt Capture device. But this is neither here or there- this is simply what I would use to do this. So even if I was doing this I would not be able to help you out.

Other than that there should be no dramas -- work out how much of a big deal de-interlacing will be, most HDMI devices unfortunately work this way any way- and when live streaming there shouldn't be that much of an issue with SUPER HIGH quality.

Let us know how you go!
  • Well... I am not going to hack it yet.. I'll just try it as is and see what happens, but you are saying definately hook it all up, and hit record on the camera then hope blackmagic card is recognized by procaster and if it is there is a deinterlace button. Then when I get more of a firm grip on the latest hacks I'll hack it. I was getting some stunning results on my friends GH2 at about 75mbit avchd with sharpness turned all the way down to avoid the aliasing and better match my gh13

• @Blackout the GH2 HDMI has not yet been hacked completely. The current PTool to my knowledge does not change the behavior of the HDMI output. VK is working on it- however it is very risky as the HDMI hacking can brick a GH2 very easily as many of the HDMI code needs to be re-written. (this is my understanding). However- VK has re-written a large chunk of it- and sent it to the Strike Team- however there was no clear 'break through'. Then again - this whole process is not about that- it is about incremental improvement. I do believe that the HDMI will be fixed- however the built in SD recording is getting better day by day- and this is where the action is right now. Currently the highest settings have surpassed ProRes422 quality (at least in a 420 colour space).

As for broadcast needing 422- many users here have used the GH2 with the hack for broadcast and it stands up fantastically next to other cameras... tell them you shot on Red... ;)

If you need 25p (as in Europe, Australia etc) then there is a hope that the 1.1 Firmware from Panny will fix that, (hell- it could fix the HDMI- but probably not...)
  • I finally got my GH2 (haven't hacked it yet) and need to do this EXACT same thing this Sunday but
    can't afford those ridiculous teracubes.

2 questions... #1 vitali, after the hack is th gh2 HDMI out stable, and then

Would THIS box work if I don't need to move around much but just want to GH2 as a live source
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/686585-REG/Blackmagic_Design_BINTSSHU_Intensity_Shuttle.html

• @Driftwood Is it up anywhere we can see it? I would be very interested in seeing what it looks like.
  • LIVE roaming cam was my 'ol faithful Sony EX3 with SDI out to Gigawave Transmitter Antennae to Receiver SDI out to Matrox MX02LE SDI IN, SDI Out to MacBook Pro to Wirecast to LiveStream with two GH2's shooting recorded footage. 720p all the way apart from the GH2s on INTRA!!! :-)
  • @driftwood what did you end up using?
  • @HillTop1 I have two Oktokopters.
    You can see my work at www.helivideo.rs
  • I would head for a midclass shuttle pc with cheap BM capture card.
    Been using this with together adobe live flash encoder (free) for an live event some weeks ago.
    Worked flawlessly. 720p is enough for streaming?
  • I believe Matrox has two versions of all their MX02 devices, one that includes their H.264 encoder (which they call Matrox MAX) and one that doesn't.

However ... my understanding is that Wirecast doesn't currently support the Matrox MAX hardware H.264 encoding so even if you had a Matrox device that supported this, you'd have to disable it to get it to work with Wirecast. See:
    http://forum.telestream.net/forum/messageview.aspx?catid=45&threadid=8044

If you're streaming to the internet in less than 1080 (which is fairly common, as HD resolutions require a fair bit of bandwidth), then the Matrox devices can do the downscaling so that the software doesn't have to. The video would be coming in uncompressed and H.264 encoding would happen in software (using the CPU or GPU). Often this isn't a problem, but it would depend on the resolution of the video stream and your computer as to whether it can keep up without dropping frames.
  • Thanks @davedv I'm thinking Wirecast Telestream together with the MX02 LE. The other point is the number crunching done in software or hardware. Does the Matrox do the encoding in realtime to h264 or do we have to use Wirecast Telestream to encode?
  • The Matrox Mini doesn't have SDI input. You would need the Matrox MX02 LE or the MX02 to get SDI inputs. You'd also need to go with it either the ExpressCard/34 adapter and a laptop with an open ExpressCard slot or the Thunderbolt adapter and a Thunderbolt enabled laptop.

The other option I'm aware of is the Blackmagic Design UltraStudio SDI:
    http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/ultrastudiosdi/
    This requires a laptop with a USB 3.0 port. You also need to be a little bit careful here, as some of the early USB 3.0 laptops didn't have enough internal bandwidth to the USB controller to handle the bitrates of uncompressed video. With newer laptop motherboard chipsets, I believe this is less of an issue.

The other thing you need to check if you're planning on streaming the SDI feed to the internet, is that whatever software you're using to do the streaming has support for whatever hardware you're going to use. FMLE, Wirecast and some of the other streaming software has had various issues over time working with certain video input hardware. Some of this may have been resolved with driver updates, but at the very least you'd like to know that other people have had success with the same hardware-software combination you're considering.
  • OK, Someone tell me what to buy - I need a a sdi in box to laptop that will connect the gigawave RF receiver (SDi out) to either a sony vaio or apple mac pro. What should I buy/hire?
  • What is it youre working on @bannedindv?
  • I am working on a professional solution now. might be too late to get it from California to England...
  • @davedv Looks interesting... Ill take a look at what the RED boys are thinking about it...
  • @driftwood
    Have you looked at the Brite-View AirSyncHD:
    http://www.brite-view.com/air_synchd.php

It's a little more expensive than some of the other WHDI wireless transmitters, but claims a little bit better range. Still probably be tough to get 50m range, but you might be able to do 30m. The nice thing about it is it's uncompressed and very low latency compared to say Teradek's H.264 wireless stuff.

I think there may have been some discussion about it on the RED Camera forums, as some of the users there were experimenting with it.
  • @juliand UK, Brighton based. Long term sounds like a good call but I need something for next weekend! DW I'll get summit sorted... always do in the end! ;-)