Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH1 Firmware Hack FAQ
  • 71 Replies sorted by
  • Hi gurus,
    I have another question related to above. I have a JP GF1, and I am trying to figure out how to format the SD Card in camera using japanese language menus and manual. I have not been successful. Any is greatly appreciated.
  • First, your file name is just wrong. Look at original firmware file name and look at one you cited.
    Second, you do not need to format SD card if it is hard to do, it is enough to delete all files.
  • I have the Gh1 "extreme" hack loaded on my camera. I loaded it via a Transcend Class 10 card (had problems with it), now will be upgrading to a SanDisk Extreme. When I get the new card, should I format the memory card on my GH1 first and then follow the same steps from the beginning again?
  • I can't verifying with MediaInfo if my MJPEG video is 4:2:2...or 4:2:0
    Aufnahme1.png
    477 x 491 - 10K
  • I checked version increment by 2, want see if body version change too but nothing happen the body version remain 1.0, why ?
  • @zscream
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. Just got few questions regarding changing the hacks.
    If I want to carry all three patches on three different cards and change the hacks depending on the suiting conditions, what version numbers should I give to different patches ?
    Also wondering if that version incrementing applies only when you want to go back to panasonic factory settings or also when you want to change the hack type say from Turbo to extreme?
  • Numbering strategy for different firmware hack versions

Just give them each a unique number, like 1.37, 1.38 etc. I have those numbers with a short description behind them on my hard drive. Of course, I have to lose the description on the SD card for the firmware to be accepted. But keeping different numbers allows you to at least recognize each individual hack by something.

The suggestion is to always check the Prevent Version Compare check, which resets the firmware version in the camera to 0.0. So you won't be able to recognize the firmware version in the camera itself, but it allows you to always overwrite the firmware by any other version, which includes the original firmware. Be aware that the original firmware does require a version number higher than 1.32 to be accepted as an upgrade because the original firmware always performs the version check.
  • This weekend I re-hacked my GH1, applying the the 50mpbs (the blackout?) version as i wanted to shoot at 720p60fps this weekend.. it crashed ALL THE TIME due to write speed. Before I left on the Friday, i had put the 75mbps hack on, but got the same error when testing in the garden.

I can't find much explanation for this, other than the memory card? I admit, it was a camping trip and I was shooting in the forest... it was sunny too, so it may have just been a perfect storm? In almost all situations though, writing to camera failed, and failed even when i stopped down exposure. I am using transcend class 10 (32GB) in my GH1. It has always been absolutely fine with the 100mbps hack on 1080p24fps,, so i don't think it's a dud?

Do others have this problem? I have seen LPowell say that he thinks all failures now are due to the cards, not the hack.. but then i see plenty of folks saying they are using the transcend's without problem...

Any advice would be great!
  • Yes, I have the same problem when shooting 720/60P, as do others-it's not a card issue. Change from SH to H, and you will be fine.
    The max you can get out of 720/60P is around 30mb/second. So, you can go into Ptools, and manually edit the H setting for 3000000(I think that's the right amount of zero's), and it won't crash-done.
    I've noticed that when 720/60P footage approaches a highly detailed scene, at around 34mb/sec, it crashes every single time.
  • @havasuvideo thanks, appreciate the tip, i will make the change in ptools.

So when people talk about the 75mbps (or 50mbps) being reliable at 720p60fps, that is in fact not the case?
  • It depends on the scene you are shooting, and the exposure.
    I've not seen any footage go over 34mb/sec in the 720/60P mode, without crashing.
    Keep in mind that when they say "75mb/sec" patch, that is the theoretical maximum limit that you could achieve. For most scenes, your footage will be around 44mb/second, with occasional spikes higher, and that's shooting in 1080/24P.
  • @havasuvideo right, i understand that 75mb/sec is the theoretical maximum.. but the patch is reportedly stable at 720p60fps http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/334/75mbps-gh1-peak-reliability-patch-v2-update/p1. Seems on my camera to be pretty unusable at 720p60fps, that's the only reason I was asking if it could be the write speed of the transcend card.. Is there really that much variability between cameras?
  • Hi masters, I bought a used GH1, how can i verify the hack version and what options are updated.

Thanks.
  • Hi,

What do you think about the safety of these settings? Is there a risk for the camera (gh13) ?

Native 24p/25p=Checked
    Video Bitrate FHD/SH=90000000
    Video Bitrate H=74000000
    Video Bitrate L=74000000
    Overall Bitrate=116000000
    720p50 GOP Size=10
    720p60 GOP Size=10
    1080p25 GOP Size=1
    1080p24 GOP Size=1
    Preset bitrate=1160
    Preset bitrate 2=1160
    Overall Bitrate 2=116000000
    Constant for 1080p=3888000
    Constant for 720p=466560
    Video buffer=84.000.000
  • @ADE
    It's tough to say. You could either ask the person you bought it from or just install a new hack. If you install a new hack, just be aware of how to get to the language settings before you rehack it. A friend of mine got a GH1 from China with the hack already on. He wanted to update to a newer patch, but once he did everything was in Chinese and we had to reference my GH1 to get him to the language setting where he changed it back to english.
  • Thanks @Brian202020 what hack or hacks do you recomend me, i have 2 class 10 16Gb, i want to film interviews and panoramic shots.
  • @ADE
    Since I got my GH2, I no longer own my GH1, but the patch I used until I sold it was the Blackout-Powell Native 24p patch v2. It was the most reliable 24p patch.
    http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/184/blackout-powell-native-24p-patch-v2-updated-for-ptool-3.55d

Another good one is the 100Mbps Max Latitude Patch v2. This one is a little less stable for native 24p, but will more than likely work 99% of the time. It's really geared towards 25p.
    http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/162/100mbps-max-latitude-patch-v2-updated-for-ptool-3.55d
  • Hey guys, I'm having trouble saving my firmware for my GH2. I'm running PTools3.62 and using firmware GH2_V10E. In PTools I have version increment checked and set at 1. I've tried renaming the file GH2_V11 and all variations that I can think of, but each time I get the error "Bad file name, Camera won't be able to read Such a file". Any ideas?
  • @The_M
    First off you posted in the wrong topic, this is a GH1 topic. But to answer your question, make sure there is 2 underscores in between GH2 and V11 so it looks like this, GH2__V11.
  • @Brian202020
    Sorry about that and thanks for the info!
  • Closed. All useful things must be moved to Wiki.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions