Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GoPro Hero4 cameras official topic
  • 186 Replies sorted by
  • Hey @filthy I did get a $2 cable that plugs into the gopro and the video feed part of my FPV system and it works like a charm. I left the power coming out of the drone and go from the Gopro to the transmitter. Pretty capable system, I really like the GoPro4 while I wait for my Inspire 1.

• GoPro was one of the best-selling products this holiday, selling-in an average of 1,000 units per hour for the entire quarter," said GoPro Founder and CEO, Nicholas Woodman. "With this many new recruits to the GoPro movement, we're sure to see some incredible content in 2015."

Summary of Fourth Quarter 2014 GAAP Results:

• Revenue of $633.9 million, compared to $361.5 million in the fourth quarter of 2013
    • Gross margin of 47.9%, compared to 41.9% in the fourth quarter of 2013
    • Operating income of $173.7 million, compared to $70.6 million in the fourth quarter of 2013
    • Net income attributable to common stockholders of $122.1 million or $0.83 per diluted share, compared to $33.3 million or $0.33 per diluted share in the fourth quarter of 2013
    • Cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities of $422.3 million, compared to $101.4 million at December 31, 2013

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/gopro-announces-fourth-quarter-and-full-year-2014-results-300031837.html

• Any idea why they changed the default ISO?

• HERO4 Black update v2.00.00

New Modes + Features

• Adds Time Lapse Video mode
    • Adds 720p240 video mode (Narrow FOV only)
    • Adds 2.7K60 video mode
    • Adds Auto Image Rotation
    • Adds 30 photos/6 seconds Burst rate

Performance Improvements

• Changes Protune default video ISO to 1600

Usability Improvements

• Adds Reset option for camera Wi-Fi settings
    • Displays Night Lapse shutter time on the camera status screen

LCD Touch BacPac Improvements

• Delivers the ability to add HiLight Tags during playback
    • Adds new gesture to display the last photo or video captured
    • Automatically locks the display after the camera goes to sleep

General Improvements + Bug Fixes

• Night Lapse stability improvements

HERO4 Silver update v02.00.00

New Features

• Adds Time Lapse Video mode
    • Adds Auto Image Rotation
    • Adds 30 photos/6 seconds Burst rate

Performance Improvements

• Changes Protune default video ISO to 1600

Usability Improvements

• Delivers the ability to add HiLight Tags during playback
    • Adds new gesture to display the last photo or video captured
    • Automatically locks the display after the camera goes to sleep
    • Adds Reset option for camera Wi-Fi settings
    • Displays Night Lapse shutter time on the camera status screen

General Improvements + Bug Fixes

• Night Lapse stability improvements

http://gopro.com/update/HERO4

• A GoPro 4K test video with macro lens attachment:

Spot meter, ev -.5, Protune color, auto WB. No alterations in post.

Here is the lens attached to the camera:

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab56/markr041/Close%20up%20lens_zpsizy7oq2b.jpg

• Snowing slo-mo (1080 120p) and time-lapse:

• What a disappointment. Both in the quality and that GoPro allowed this to be one of the first leaks.

• includes a time-lapse.

• "Apple has been granted a patent for a wearable camera that could possibly challenge action cameras made by GoPro."

http://recode.net/2015/01/13/apple-gets-action-cam-patent-gopro-shares-tumble/

• Thanks @filthy, the USB cable does indeed seem to be the workaround pathway.

• @kellar42 - Sounds like you have the V.1 H3-3D that plugs directly into the back of the camera. I recall reading somewhere that the Hero 4 doesn't output 4k from there. Are you getting any feed in other resolutions? If not, then it's clearly to do with the updated firmware in the 4 that doesn't play nice with DJI stuff anymore. Both of my Gopro gimbals (1 of them H3-3D v.2) output video from the USB port with no issues. I will say that the ribbon cable DJI is continuing to use for that connection is the worst and very typical chinese sourcing and manufacturing with no thought about actual use or longevity. I broke the first 1 after two days. The second one lasted a week. Now I wrap them in gaff tape and always carry a spare. There's surely a workaround for this. Just need to do a bit more research. My other gopro gimbal (Arris CM3000) has proven much more reliable and with ability to tune PID's which DJI doesn't offer. They're very "Apple" in that way and it's really irritating.

• Static shots in stiff wind, walking while shooting, and following a pedestrian up a hill using this handheld gimbal.

• There will be a February firmware upgrade of the Hero 4 Black, so it can do:

"720p 240 fps video - Record ultra high frame rate video at a staggering 240 frames per second for liquid smooth slow-motion playback

2.7K 60 fps video - Capture cinematic, high-resolution 2.7K footage at an impressive 60 frames per second."

Also:

"Time lapse video mode - Capture Time Lapse videos automatically—no post-production needed. Showcase a sunrise, road trip or family gathering as a short, sharable video.

30/6 burst photo - Introducing a new way to never miss a moment. Capture 30 photos in 6 seconds—perfect for longer duration fast-action activities like surfing and snowboarding.

Auto rotate - Automatically adjusts capture orientation to right-side up when the camera is mounted upside down."

The latter three updates apply to the 4 Silver as well.

http://gopro.com/news/unlock-new-camera-possibilities-with-february-firmware-update

• @filthy I'm running a phantom and zenmuse with DSLR pros FPV kit. They told me the black doesn't send video out the back the same way the 3 does, but I'm not sure that is 100% true and/or it can't be overcome.

• @kellar42 - No issues here with video out on the 4 black in 2 different aerial setups. What's your setup and what issues are you having?

• So far I love the image quality coming out of the 4 Black, but unfortunately it isn't working with the FPV on my quadcopter...yet.

• How good or bad does the 4K @ 60 Mbps holdup when the camera is moving on on car, ATV, dune buggy, etc? Is it better to go with 2.7k for that type of stuff?

High bitrate is required for fast movement and lots of details. I think you need to test it for your tasks.

• How good or bad does the 4K @ 60 Mbps holdup when the camera is moving on on car, ATV, dune buggy, etc? Is it better to go with 2.7k for that type of stuff?

• @Rambo

I do not see why someone need to buy overpriced GoPro for copters. DJI approach is much more sane. Camera must be very small and light.

• Very likely not a rumour VK, when DJi double crossed GoPro and brought out their own camera also refused to fix the USB port issue for av out ( dirty power also injected) the partnership disintegrated.