Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Are all POWER OIS lenses unsuitable for handheld shooting?
  • 143 Replies sorted by
  • "...the issue is in video only; even then most people seem to not notice the jitter anyway..."

• excuse me, there was wrong shutter speed - 1/500s (thanks to RickPick, it's a jello and not jitter)

tomorrow i will try it again

• I have found that my 14-140mm II OIS jitters less when I use left hand grip in objective hood instead of holding my hand in zoom ring. Especially zoomed to 140mm the hand position in the hood is much steadier. With 4k video the image crop helps not to shoot own fingers.

• I hope this jitter will end with the Gx80/85 dual is. Can anyone test , when the cam is available?

• 14-140mm II vs FZ1000 jitter at 140mm:

14-140mm II hand held. Awful:

• Thanks Vesku for reminding how useless these pois lenses are for handheld video. Too bad Panny don't do anything about that.

• Not all POWER OIS lenses has that OIS vibration. The new 12-60mm looks good. Panasonic 14-140mm v2 Micro Jitter problem VS Panasonic 12-60mm:

• @Vesku

Is there any definitive consensus on whether the micro jitters is fixed on the 35-100mm 2.8 SPECIFICALLY with the GH3?

(It appears different cameras get different results. I have the GH3 and this jitters thing is the only thing stopping me from buying the 35-100. Any help would be greatly appreciated!)

• I have no 35-100mm 2.8 but I think it is quite OK now but not perfect. Much depends how you hold the lens. My 14-140mm II behaves better when I use my left hand taking grip of the lens hood, not zoom ring.

• I have the 35-100mm 2.8 and the micro jitter of Power OIS is better with v1.3 on GH4, but still not acceptable to me: I must still apply SW stabilization in my NLE (which works very well). It's a shame - otherwise the lens is excellent. The Power OIS does work very well for photos.

• @v10tdi thanks for your reply. Is it noticeable then? If I'm using the OIS in conjunction with a shoulder rig or steadicam would that prevent the issue, or would it still add jitters on top?

• The latest FW update for 14-140mm II makes no difference for OIS jitter. I tested. It just enables dual OIS. When using dual IS (OIS+IBIS) the result is good.

• Has anyone tried the 14-140mm II with Dual IS 2 on the G80/85? I would assume there's no jitter, but it would be nice to confirm.

• @kieranvyas

Is there any definitive consensus on whether the micro jitters is fixed on the 35-100mm 2.8 ?

I recently tested the Panasonic 35-100mm f2.8 (lens firmware 1.3) on a GH2 and compared its OIS jitter and panning behavior to several other Panasonic lenses:

42.5mm f1.7 Power OIS

30mm f2.8 Macro Mega OIS

45-150mm f4-5.6 Power OIS

50-150mm f5-5.6 Mega OIS

14-50mm f2.8-3.5 Mega OIS (Four Thirds)

These lenses all exhibit OIS aberrations at the end of a horizontal pan. After a brief delay, the image frame will drift back in the opposite direction to the pan, in order to re-center its OIS tracking mechanism. With a well-behaved lens, the delay interval is long enough for you to edit out the backtracking footage, and you'll get a smooth finish at the end of your panning shots. A lens with jittery OIS will wobble and/or drift at the end of each pan.

35-100mm f2.8 Power OIS - wobbles and drifts back and forth at the end of each pan

42.5mm f1.7 Power OIS - short delay after end of pan, followed by a single backtrack, no jitter

30mm f2.8 Macro Mega OIS - short delay after end of pan, followed by a single backtrack, no jitter

45-150mm f4-5.6 Power OIS - immediate backtrack after end of pan, no jitter

45-200mm f4-5.6 Mega OIS - wobbles and drifts back and forth at the end of each pan

14-50mm f2.8-3.5 Mega OIS - long delay after end of pan, followed by large backtrack, no jitter

For both handheld and tripod usage, I found the 42.5mm f1.7, 30mm f2.8, and 14-50mm f2.8-3.5 behaved well enough for panning. The 45-150mm f4-5.6 was marginal, while the 35-100mm f2.8 and 45-200mm f4-5.6 were unacceptable.

• What about the OIS behaviour of 12-35mm f2.8 mk 1? Is the behaviour the same when using GH1, GH2, and the recent generations?

• Some firmware update plans

sample456.jpg
    697 x 382 - 73K