Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks for the info!

• ….and what have Voldermort's people decided to do at this moment…? contact @Vitaliy_Kiselev lol!

• Vitality,

A bunch of people over at eoshd are talking about putting up money to hack the NX1. They're asking for your guidance and opinion.

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/19099-petition-for-samsung-nx1-hack/?page=1

• Samsung has cancelled their booth at the Photokina show and will not be exhibiting.

• You can get a battery grip fro the NX1 as well

Thanks @IronFilm but as far as I know there is only one made by Samsung and it is overpriced with no weather sealing and a substantial gap between it and the body.

• You can get a battery grip fro the NX1 as well

"ND Throttle for NX1 now available."

Great news! A focal reducer would be the best adapter to see happen, but this is the next best news.

• For the life of me I can't find a real number.
    How long does NX1 battery lasts while recording 4K/1080p. I'm interested in moreless continuous recording (manually starting recording every 29:59).
    For GH4 it is about 4 hours, G7 1:40/1:50. I've only found estimated time of 3 hours.
    So how long can NX1 record on single battery?
    I am aware of its capability to use USB power bank, this is actually the reason for my question (power bank capacity estimation with DC/DC conversion loss).

• Rooting the NX1 and NX500 would be amazing, I bet we could push the quality years ahead of what the big companies are likely to deliver. Unfortunately this camera doesn't seem to be very popular and very unappreciated, and the community too small.

• Just tried the 30min limit on the NX1, with the 1.40 firmware (the latest as far as I know), it simply stops recording after reaching the 30 minutes.

This would make it a near perfect camera for me (no crop in 4K and 1080). Hopefully someone will eventually hack the FW but I'm not holding my breath.

• Just tried the 30min limit on the NX1, with the 1.40 firmware (the latest as far as I know), it simply stops recording after reaching the 30 minutes.

Also, has anybody tested the best settings to achieve maximum dynamic range?

• "I can't help but think that if Samsung had removed the recording time limit"

Thought they brought about firmware so that it automatically restarts after 30 minutes? Which seems like a handy way to both avoid the stupid dumb tax restrictions, but also allows you to run for "unlimited" length.

• AP: Before Christmas, there was much press speculation that Nikon had bought Samsung’s NX camera business. Are you able to give us a reaction to the many media reports about this?

DJ: As you learn from the media and also from official feedback that was a hoax. There was never anybody really talking about it.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/latest/photo-news/interview-dirk-jesper-of-nikon-2015-wasnt-a-quiet-year-for-us-67586

• Rumor has it that the camera department has now been integrated into the medical equipment/healthcare section

They did quite similar things with their phones and TVs firmware developers from time to time as far as I know.
    Their management is widely known for absurd moves.

• Samsung cameras were a no-show at CES in Vegas. I have spoken with a friend who has a direct contact to somebody at Samsung. Rumor has it that the camera department has now been integrated into the medical equipment/healthcare section. His advise was to watch for signs at CES. If there was no new camera announced it would be the confirmation that there will be no new cameras coming out in the foreseeable future. So let's grab a few more lenses as they get discounted and keep shooting this marvelous camera for a few years to come... http://petapixel.com/2016/01/08/samsung-cameras-are-a-no-show-at-ces-2016-looks-like-the-end-is-nigh/

• @chauncy

Another huge plus is that you could collect lenses in big discounts already and more soon.

• "As for all this complains, just go and buy NX1 on sale, it'll be useful tool for long long years to come."

I'm all in. Got it and two s lens for 40% off retail. Camera stores seem to want it gone. I think it's a powerhouse.

• Commenting on the decision, a spokesperson for Samsung told ePHOTOzine: "We quickly adapt to market needs and demands. In the UK, we have seen a gradual and sustained decline in demand for standalone digital cameras and camcorders and related accessories. For this reason, we have taken the decision to phase out the sales and marketing of these products. This is a local decision, based on local market conditions."

• @Adam_Mercier

They even have fish eye pancake also and few others:-)

As for all this complains, just go and buy NX1 on sale, it'll be useful tool for long long years to come.

• they have a good panckake already, the 30mm f2

• I can't help but think that if Samsung had removed the recording time limit, included H264 based compression, and also produced something like the Panny 20mm lens, they would have sold those cams by the truckload.