Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • A lot of hacks going on with the nx1/nx500! Let's see what kind of improvements we'll get on this (already good) camera. Since it has a Linux based system, i think we'll have more people working on that... Let's wait and see! Hacking times are coming back (i don't know why i enjoy this so much!)

• I had to take advantage of their customer service to have my NX1 repaired (the power switch became hard to turn and the LCD hinged broke free). I called the 800 number and they gave and an RMA and paid shipping both ways. I'm sure if your product is under warranty they will take care of you. If it's been over a year and 3 month (they extended my warranty 3 months for registering) then all bets are off, if in the future they no longer have the parts to service them, however the may keep some parts on hand even though it is discontinued, I would hope for the next year and 3 months, but eventually they will run out.

• Thanks for the info. I almost don't worry about voiding the warranty considering that Samsung's service support for their cameras is seemingly non-existent or a well-guarded secret at least.

• Follow this tutorial at your risk and peril. Your warranty is now void.

After some more digging through the firmware and way in advance of my ETA

1. Create a text file as follows:
      •file name: nx_dev.adj
      •file content: "smart_camera" - NB no carriage return, no nothing except the string (NB excluding quotes). File length should be exactly 12 bytes.
    2. Place this file on the root of an SD card and put the card in your camera.
    3. Power on the camera.
    4. Make sure camera is on Auto.
    5. Press, in succession: down [for NX1 press on the wheel around the OK button downwards], OK, up, OK, right, press and keep pressed the exposure compensation button, press and release OK, and finally release the exposure compensation button.
    6. You should now see the DEV menu.
    7. The setting referred to in the subject of this post is under SYSTEM PARAMETER, (5) DISABLE MOVIE REC LIMIT.
    8. Do not forget to delete the nx_dev.adj file from the SD card.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3979382

• Okay, can someone clarify how this hack is done? In plain english, that is.

Seems like feature is just enabled (adjustment menu) by special file on SD card. It is not reversing or such.

• Okay, can someone clarify how this hack is done? In plain english, that is.

• Is working perfect!

• Unlimited record limit walkthrough. Best part is that you don't have to run something like magic lantern every time. Do it once and it is set.

• Alrighty, you guys convinced me to give the NX1 a try.

• Look like NX500 still has some problems with the limit
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3979006#forum-post-57441089

Now we just have to wait patiently for a more user friendly release

• Time limit removal, as I understand was just ported from NX300. Not so easy, of course.

• Looks like recording limit removal script is on its way:
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3978604

• You can power the NX1 via the USB power and charge the batter at the same time. My NX1 came with a wall adapter. Also the Samsung and third party batteries last long. You can get close to 3 hours of continuous recording time with 1 battery. Sony will give you like 45 minutes.

If you have manual lenses you'll be good and ate the way to go in general. Samsung does have good lenses and NX1 was the autofocus to beat until the the a6300 came along.

NX1 also has a headphone jack. A6300 does not.

• @Superset, if you are like me and have based your lens collection around Nikon F mount then it doesn't matter what Samsung does in the future and you can go ahead and buy a NX1 without fear

• @SuperSet

If you want support with plenty of accessories for your camera along with wall power (you are stuck with only battery power on the NX1) and an available downloadable flat video profile... go with the GH4 and use Canon EF mount capable lenses with a micro 4/3 lens adapter.

I bought the NX1 and have Samsung buyer's remorse.

• So I'm guessing the A6300 is the way to go now

NX1 is the way to go :-) Nothing dramatic will happen in next few years, may be 20-30% better performance and addition of 4K at 60 fps.

And later you can just buy refurbished FF Sony camera.

• Thx for your response. I just did some more digging and didn't realize until now that Samsung abandoned their NX line. A shame. So I'm guessing the A6300 is the way to go now.

• Any reason to consider the NX1 vs the A6300?

Yes. Much better handling. Smaller size videos. Cheaper and better (in low and mid end) lenses.

• Hey fellas, Any reason to consider the NX1 vs the A6300?

• Samsung NX1 28 MP 4K Wireless Smart Camera with 16-50mm Power Zoom Lens for $1199, few last ones

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V5UDU60/

Body

http://www.adorama.com/ISGNX1.html

• @JohnTollwannabe I wouldn't hold my breath. AFAIK nobody makes one, only the official grip that isn't even properly sealed against camera body.
    You may as well use USB power bank and risk the opened I/O cover. You could use HDMI port dust cover but I didn't find any micro USB 3.0 B plug with a seal.

• Has anyone come up with an AC wall or external battery pack with dummy battery power solution for this camera... or is the fact Samsung isn't supporting their camera department anymore making third party accessories a lost cause?

• Can someone confirm if there is a wired (microUSB 2.0) trigger that works for video recording start/stop. This year old post on DPR seems to indicate that there isn't.