Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Nikon D750 topic

Specs

• FF 24.3Mp sensor
    • EXPEED 4
    • 3.2" 1.2M dots monitor, tiltable (like Sony)
    • Improved mirror and shutter
    • 51 AF areas
    • RGB sensor, 91k pixels
    • Burst rate - 6.5fps
    • Video at 1080p24/25/30/50 / 60p
    • Manual control of ISO, shutter speed, and aperture
    • Integrated stereo microphone
    • Sealed body
    • Exposure preview and aperture control in Live View mode
    • Wi-Fi
    • Uncompressed clear HDMI at 8-bit 422
    • Size - 140mm x 112mm x 79mm
    • Weight - 751gr

• Nikon D750 body price is $2300 or 2,149 EUR

• Nikon D750 kit 24-120mm f/4 price - 2,699 EUR
    • Nikon D750 ki 24-85mm f/3,5 4,5 price - 2,699 EUR

Available at:

sigma25.jpg
    689 x 600 - 51K
    sigma26.jpg
    665 x 435 - 33K
    sigma27.jpg
    642 x 487 - 39K
  • 97 Replies sorted by
  • Nikon D750 FX-Format Digital SLR Body Only Camera - Refurbished, $899

https://www.adorama.com/inkd750r.html

• Nikon D750 Firmware Version 1.15

• Fixed an issue that resulted in over-application of distortion control in pictures taken with an AF-P DX NIKKOR 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6G VR lens at a focal length of 10 mm and with FX (36x24) 1.0x selected for Image area > Choose image area, Off selected for Image area > Auto DX crop, and On selected for Auto distortion control in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU.
    • Fixed an issue that resulted in photos shot with non-CPU lenses being overexposed when taken by pressing the shutter-release button all the way down in a single motion under the following conditions: the standby timer off, On selected for Custom Setting c1 (Shutter-release button AE-L) in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU, and lens information specified using the Non-CPU lens data option in the SETUP MENU.

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/318.html

• I also think that it is always worth having a good camera at hand for such moments. However, most often I take photos on my iPhone. There are so many useful tips that I also want to buy a new camera. Thank you!

• Dont fix if is not broken :) Is there any known way of downgrade Nikon firmware? I did the one above and my Sigma 135 AF is gone now. Calibrating does not help. I was on secend last one before this one and could not complain at all!

• New firmware version 1.12

• Added support for the following features of AF-P lenses:
      • If the standby timer expires after the camera has focused, the focus position will not change when the timer is reactivated. *In manual focus mode, the focus indicator in the viewfinder (or in live view, the focus point selected in the monitor) will flash to show that infinity or the minimum focus distance has been reached by rotating the focus ring.
    • Fixed the following issues:
      • When pictures were viewed after shooting with Overflow selected for Role played by card in Slot 2 in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU, the camera would sometimes display the second-last picture taken.
      • Microphone sensitivity would sometimes not be correctly adjusted when movies were recorded with Auto sensitivity > Microphone sensitivity.

http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/245.html

• NOTICE TO USERS OF THE NIKON D750 DIGITAL SLR CAMERA OF NEWLY ADDED AFFECTED PRODUCT SERIAL NUMBERS (UPDATED)

In July 2015 and with an additional notice in February 2016, we announced that the shutter in some Nikon D750 digital SLR cameras manufactured between October 2014 and June 2015 does not function normally, sometimes resulting in shading of a portion of images. Since that time, further examination of the issue has found that the same issue may also occur with D750 cameras manufactured from July to September 2014 and from July 2015 to September 2016.

Therefore, any D750 manufactured from July 2014 to September 2016 is eligible for inspection and repair of its shutter. Please follow the instructions in the “Identifying affected products” section below to check if your camera is affected.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

Please direct inquiries regarding this issue to your nearest Nikon service center.

• Thanks @ironfilm Ive got the camera already amd it is actually 10 minutes in 1080 50p

I did test other sigma lenses 135 f1.8 and 24-105 f4 both works well in live view AF. Older 50 f1.4 and 18-35 f1.8 does not work. Can anyone confirmed Id like to know if it is samething wrong with mine or user error. Thanks

• ...So it is 10 minutes

Nope. It is either 20 minutes or 30 minutes, depending on the quality setting you select.

• Can someone tell me how to get sigma lenses focusing in "live view" at list hunting. It does not work at al in fact Autofocus menu is greyed out. On Nikon lens works. Is this Nikon competition way or what Im missing? it works on my d7100.

• ...So it is 10 minutes

• Is there a 30 minutes recording limit in EU version or is there more limited in all version like in d7100 for example to 20minutes?

• Nikon D750 firmware version 1.11

• The WT-7 wireless transmitter is now supported.
    • Fixed the following issues:
      • Incorrect histograms would be displayed for some images viewed in the RGB histogram display during playback.
      • If On was selected for Auto distortion control, distortion would appear at the edges of photos taken with NEF (RAW) + JPEG fine selected for Image quality and Medium selected for Image size.
      • The option chosen for Custom Setting f5 (Customize command dials) > Change main/sub in CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU group f (Controls) would not be saved when Save settings was selected for Save/load settings in the SETUP MENU.
      • Pictures would sometimes not be recorded.

http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/217.html

• Is now back up to $2K, seems it was a very short price drop.

• Nikon D750 Recommended Settings & Tips

• @RRRoger Everyone here knows how I feel about bitrate!

• Or You can wait for the D760 and D820 They will both have higher ISO and 4k Video

• In general, I'd agree that the D750 is currently the most refined 1080p hybrid DSLR Nikon offers. Like all Nikons, however, the D750 has a few crucial limitations that impair its usability as a video camera:

• 4GB maximum file length limits each video to less than 30 minutes.
    • Lack of focus peaking makes it essential to use an external monitor.
    • Primitive iPhone/Android app limits usefulness of Wifi remote control.
    • Resolution and video detail limited to 1080p at 24Mbps.

For my purposes, a Nikon full-frame DSLR fills a video niche that would otherwise require a Sony A7s: high-ISO low-light shooting. Neither the Panasonic GH4 nor the JVC LS300 produce acceptable noise levels above ISO 1600 (and even that requires Neat Video in post). Both of those cameras are otherwise excellent choices, with none of the above limitations of Nikon DSLRs. But for ISO 1600+ Nikon is a better choice, with a full-frame sensor and image stabilized lenses far superior to Panasonic OIS zooms. On the MFT side, the SpeedBooster option is indeed useful, but IME shooting video at effective apertures wider than f2.8 often produces a painfully narrow depth of field. I much prefer to shoot in low-light at f2.8 at a higher ISO.

With that context in mind, there's a video alternative I still prefer to the D750: a Nikon D800 with a Mosaic Engineering anti-aliasing filter, hacked to use a 64 Mbps bitrate. This combination of third-party enhancements eliminates video moire and captures the highest quality low-light shadow details of any DSLR short of the Sony A7s. (While the A7s is superb in low-light, its proprietary lens selection makes it impractical for my purposes.) Here are links to the third-party D800 developer sites:

Mosaic Engineering: http://www.mosaicengineering.com/products/vaf/d800.html

Nikon Hacker: https://nikonhacker.com/index.php?sid=1257e1f5cafd972a325cb7d868b55048

Of course, the D800 solution requires additional camera preparation and enthusiasm for custom firmware hacking. As one of the more prominent hackers of the GH2, that's not an issue for me, and I've tested Nikon Hacker's firmware upgrades to my complete satisfaction. IMO, 50Mbps is the minimum bitrate needed for fast-motion and low-light video shooting at 1080p. Unfortunately, the D750 doesn't meet that spec, and Nikon Hacker has been unable to increase the bitrates of Nikon models beyond the D800. For that reason alone, I must regretfully pass on Nikon's current generation of hybrid DSLR's, in spite their improvements in overall usability.

The following video samples show the difference 64Mbps can make in fast-motion videography on the D800. To clearly see the increase in video detail, I'd recommend examing the frames at 200% resolution in a video editor. The original footage can be downloaded from my Vimeo site.

• Wrote up a kinda lengthy comment to a friend about why to get the D750 for him, but then thought I might as well share it here in a post too as well, just if anybody else would like to refer to a lengthy summary of why to get a D750:

Go with the Nikon D750, it is a killer general purpose FX DSLR especially in low light. Read this reviews, including lots from people who have been lifelong Canon shooters but now the D750 means they can no longer deny the compelling case to ditch Canon for Nikon:

http://www.rossharvey.com/reviews/nikon-d750-review

("The above image, imported into Lightroom with the exposure pushed +5 stops, is below. Mind boggling detail recovery! The depth of detail in the dark shadow areas seems to defy logic, they are essentially black in the original image. Stunning.")

("Stellar performance from the D750! It has kept pace with the undisputed DXOMark DSLR low light king!")

https://www.slrlounge.com/nikon-d750-best-wedding-dslr-ever/

("In other words, people have been saying “it’s a matter of preference” for years, and sure, Canon and other companies do make amazing cameras. However when I tally up the real-world benefits and drawbacks of each camera on the market, the D750 wins by a margin that any wedding or portrait photographer will find hard to ignore…")

http://shotkit.com/megan-allen/

("Interestingly enough, I started out last year on Canon, and shot all my weddings on a Canon 6D and a Canon 5D Mark III.

I started on Canon because it was what the camera store had suggested, however, after the Nikon D750 released, I was impressed by the reviews coming out, and watched many of my friends and colleagues make the jump to Nikon.

One weekend I decided to test the Nikon D750 out, and that was all it took. While Canon was fine, Nikon has allowed me to shoot in a manner I feel is more intuitive to my style, and it’s really allowed me to push my abilities to the next level. So, without further ado, I give you my Shotkit!

Nikon D750 x2: Like I said, I was (and still am) fairly new to the photography world, but switching from Canon to Nikon was like having a pair of blinders taken off for me.

The Nikon D750 is unbelievably light, the autofocus is nearly mind-reading at times, it’s a low-light monster, and crazy sharp. The dynamic range is just mind-blowing, and to this day I’ll look at files and shake my head in disbelief at how much you can truly work them.")

https://hofferphotography.com/2015/02/26/the-3-reasons-why-we-switched-to-nikon/

("If you had asked me 1 month ago, I would have told you that our next major equipment change was going to be when we switched to a mirrorless system. I didn’t want to change.. but these 3 things changed my mind:")

http://www.wirkshopseries.com/why-i-gave-up-on-a-30-year-relationship-with-my-camera-2/

("During a conversation about cameras and gear, a wise photographer said to me: “it’s not the arrow, it’s the Indian.” (Meaning the camera has nothing to do with it. It’s the photographer that matters.)

I believed him and stuck to that motto for years, slowly upgrading my gear only when necessary. The last new camera I bought was two years ago and I still shoot with a 10-year-old camera and even older lenses. Fast forward to a few days ago when I rented a Nikon D750 and found myself doing something I honestly never thought I would do.

After being a lifetime Canon shooter, I am now a Nikon shooter.

Hell has frozen over, pigs are flying, and the fat lady has indeed sung. However you want to say it, I’m amazed that I now have two Nikon D750’s sitting in my studio ready for action.

I have been an avid Canon shooter for about 30 years. The very first photo I ever took was on my Dad’s Canon FTB. I’ve shot Canon cameras since then with unwavering loyalty. So why the change?

It wasn’t easy to make this decision, but all it took was shooting one wedding with the new Nikon D750 and it was lights out for my long-standing relationship with Canon.

I had heard the Nikon D750 was pretty much the perfect wedding camera. Words like “game changer” were being thrown around and most of my friends were backing it. For years I heard how superior Nikon’s auto-focus was to Canon’s, but I wasn’t a true believer, nor did I have the financial resources to make the switch. So I stuck with my Canon gear, fighting frustration with not only autofocus but also ISO quality. There were (and still are) things about Nikon cameras that don’t appeal to me. I have never liked the ergonomics of Nikons; the placement of the dials never agreed with my hands compared to Canon. I can use my Canon cameras super fast and have nailed great photos because of the ability to spin the shutter speed and aperture dials at lighting speeds. That combined with the massive price tag to switch systems never allowed me to consider it.

Until now.

Enter the Nikon D750. Finally, a camera has arrived that makes it undeniably hard to ignore, but more importantly, makes it financially possible to jump ship.")

http://shotkit.com/imagine-photography/

("Nikon D750 x 2 – The switch from Canon to the Nikon D750 was terrifying for us. Why? Because we had been with canon for our entire careers, which for Jo was a 20 year period. We just never touched anything else. I am happy to report that these little beauties have been a godsend. Missed shots due to focus issues? Gone. Soft images? Gone. Heavy body? Gone. We have a keeper rate well over 95% now, and the files are sharp, have brilliant color tones, the high ISO noise is beautiful (almost film-like when done right), the features such as WiFi and tilt screen (which I actually felt were gimmicky when I learned of them) are actually rather helpful and we use the latter a lot during each wedding, and we have way less body ache from carrying the cameras in our Holdfast Money Maker straps during an 8 hour day. It’s been pure bliss from word go. We were lucky to see the cameras 1st hand at WPPI, and the folks at Nikon were more than happy to show us the features and cool bells and whistles of the bodies.")

https://fstoppers.com/education/how-i-have-my-camera-set-shoot-weddings-73441

("The Nikon D750 is one of the most talked about cameras in a long time. It’s a small lightweight body that packs a major feature set and has even lured Nikon D4 shooters to "upgrade." ")

http://zachashcraft.com/blog/2014/11/20/nikon-d750-reviewpart-1-video

("This has been a strange few months for me. After a lot of thought and a few gear rentals, I ended up selling all of my Canon cameras and lenses. After a brief few months with the Sony a7R and a7S, I ended up here, with a Nikon D750. ")

http://soulphotography.uk.com/rupesh-akshis-wedding-a-brief-review-of-the-nikon-d750/

("I’ve been shooting with Canon cameras for over 9 years & I kid you not, I used to swear total allegiance to the brand. I would even play trump cards with Nikon users going all out to prove that Canon was the better choice of the two. But now having used the D750 on a handful of occasions, I have to admit Canon have fallen behind Nikon by a mile. I have therefore jumped ship & joined the Nikon faithful.")

http://ryanbrenizer.com/2014/10/review-nikon-d750-and-d810/

http://sebastiendamour.com/blog/2014/10/27/why-i-switched-from-canon-to-the-nikon-d750/

http://www.scuffinsphotography.com/cameras/switched-canon-to-nikon-wedding-photography/

The Nikon 85mm f1.8G is a highly rated lens which is very well rated, or the even cheaper Nikon 85mm f/1.8D which is the one I own and use.

If I was going into pro photography( instead of the filmmaking I'm doing now. With only the rare, and low paid, photo gig), then I'd be buying myself a Nikon D750 in heartbeat along with a D7100 as a cheap back up body. (as don't want to ever go to a job with only one body. And especially for live events, such as weddings, you want a second body on you as you don't have time to swap lenses. And the D7100 I rate more highly than any Canon APS-C for photos, and broadly as good as a stock 5Dmk3 for video http://www.eoshd.com/2013/02/nikon-d5200-vs-canon-5d-mark-iii/)

The D750 is a damn fine DSLR for video too, arguably the best there is (if we ignore for a moment the obscenely priced 1D C :-o ):

(D750 vs BMPCC!)

• In July of 2015, we announced that the shutter in some Nikon D750 digital SLR cameras manufactured in October and November of 2014 may not function normally, sometimes resulting in shading of a portion of images. Since that time, we have learned that the same issue may also affect D750 cameras manufactured from December, 2014 through June, 2015.

For those who have already purchased a D750 and would like to have their camera serviced for this issue, Nikon service centers will service cameras as indicated below. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

Identifying affected D750 cameras

To check whether or not your camera may be one of those affected by this issue, click the Check Your Serial Number link and enter your D750's serial number as instructed. . If your D750 camera is one of those that may be affected, instructions for obtaining service will be displayed. If your D750 camera is not one of those to which this issue may apply, rest assured that service to your D750 camera as to this issue is not necessary and you may continue using your D750 camera without concern for this issue.

Resolution

If your D750 camera may be affected, as confirmed with the serial number check above, you will be provided with the necessary information to obtain service for this issue free of charge. Once your D750 camera is received by Nikon, your D750 camera’s shutter will be examined and replaced, and your D750 camera returned to you free of charge, even if your D750 camera warranty has expired.

• You need to buy a good used D750 to really get the price down. Still not positive I will keep it (D500 has been announced) so glad I bought new with money back guarantee.

A lot of Cameras, Monitors, and Recorders use different size HDMI ports. My pile of cables did not include one with a mini (C) plug on each end. The adapter came first so I tried it and it would only work on the camera end. Now, I am using a heavy but good cable with straight mini on each end that can be plugged in either way, I am waiting/looking for a much thinner cable.

Still experimenting with different settings, I expect to surpass the video quality I get with the A7s and 4k recorder in moderate low light (now days that is 4,000 to 8,000 ISO) at f/8.