Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Cluster X Series 4:│Moon T8│Spizz T7
  • 691 Replies sorted by
  • I am gearing up for a shoot, and wanted to run some tests before I get into the water. I did this ISO test on the GH2 to check for noise using Moon T8. I was pleasantly suprised, and wanted to share the test.

• @discomandavis, very interesting! It kind of showed me why some of the shots I've done at ISO 1250 looked better than I expected. Do you plan other types of ISO testing to see what sort of noise pops up in the mids? That is where I see more noise with Moon T8 compared to Moon T7 where I saw more in the darks like your test would show.

Was this all with 24H?

• @matt_gh2 For some reason, I didn't get your tag/notification in my email. Hence, the late response. But here's the finished video. I shot an anime convention in Iowa a couple of weeks ago. I used Intravenus v2 per your recommendation with my Bolex Moller adapter and Pentax Super-Takumar 50mm F1.4 as the taking lens. Settings were Vibrant (-2, 0, -1, 0) and shot in 720p60. And yeah, it is a pretty great feeling when you are nailing the look that you want. :)

• @kleo Nice looking video, music working real well as well. Saw you were on Vibrant. If you haven't yet, I'd definitely recommend giving Smooth all-2 with Saturation at 0 a whirl. Really worked magic for my setup. Keep rocking - real nice stuff here.

• @matt_gh2 Thanks! I appreciate it. :) I still have a lot to learn yet. That's an interesting Smooth combo. I will try that on my next shoot.

• Short experimental edit. Moon T7. 640iso. Nikon Nikkor 50mm Ais. May or may not switch back to Cluster X Spizz T5 (My fave hack to date). But I'll be pushing T7 as hard as I can before I decide :)

• More of a 'real world' trial of Moon T7 + old Anamorphic adapter. This could work.

• @Bozzie, WOW!!! That came out extremely nice! How extensive of a grade was necessary to achieve that, and did you denoise it?

• @Tjabo Thanks man. The grade itself wasn't really that extensive. It's a custom GH2 grade I created based around the Kodak Tetrachrome Lut by Visioncolor. What took the most amount of time was the process of levelling out the blacks, highlights, mid-tones and saturation along with finite color adjustments for a balanced, even look. (This was all done to taste).

No denoiser used :)

• @Bozzie Video looks amazing!

Couple Questions:

1) What lens did you use? taking glass?

2) what anamorphic adapter did you use? Stretch Factor?

3) Did you record MJPEG or AVCHD?

4) Colorgrading: How did you create the LUT? Davinci Resolve? Where can i find the Base Kodak Tetrachrome Lut by Visioncolor?

BIG THANKS!

• Cheers, @gth2hfun. As follows:

1) Nikon (Nikkor) 50mm Ais taking lens.

2) Delft Vistascope (Delrama) 8mm Anamorphic lens adapter. 1.5x.

3) AVCHD

4) Lut was created using Davinci Resolve. The Kodak Tetrachrome Lut is part of the Impulz series by Visioncolor. You can check it out here --> http://www.vision-color.com/impulz/.

No problemo.

• @Bozzie Thanks, for the fast reply. The Vistascope has a really nice sharpness falloff (backround blurriness) very filmlike. At what fstop is the sharpness acceptable. THX

• @gth2hfun I'd say you're good from about f4 onwards.

• Such a cool experience :) Moon T7. 24L. 640iso.

• @driftwood what about MOON T9??? i bought a new fz1000 last week.. is there any low light hack available for fz1000.. it gets lots of noise over iso 800..

• This is a video using Moon T8, using basically the Lumix 20 1.7 Lens in most of the shots and iPhone 5S for underwater ones. Even in 2015, the GH2 is proving to be a very powerful camera.

• @marciocons, beautiful image quality in that video! Moon T8 is my favorite GH2 hack.

Did you shoot this in 24H? And what post processing was necessary?

• @Tjabo, I shot in 30 fps. I just added a 70s filter in FCPX, without noise reduction, even for the night shots with ISO 1250/ 1600.

• @marciocons, that is cool to hear you shot it in 30fps! I never even tried the 30fps in Moon T8 because of how bad my luck was using 30fps in Moon T7. I will pull the GH2 back off the shelf and give that a try!! :-)

• One thing I noticed is that, under the same settings and light condition, the files with 24fps were very noisy. When I tryied to shoot in 30fps, I was very surprised by the clean and sharp images. I have no idea of the reason, but the difference is absolutely noticeable. Even having a Nikon D750, I will still keep the GH2, due its light weight and performance, even in low light conditions.

• @mariocons, very interesting! Have you tried the SH mode? I am very happy with it in Moon T8.

BTW, I have a GH4, and I am selling my D750. I think between the GH2 with Moon T8 and the GH4, I just can't really justify keeping the D750. Maybe for a dedicated stills camera, but I'm not sure... The GH4 and even the GH4 even do great for stills with proper lighting.

• Using the Moon T8 at night. I've been able to push the iso till 1600 max. I personally think it has done surprisingly well in low light. The only thing is the dynamic range isn't that wide for grading afterwards. But overall this is now my 1st choice and go-to hack.

• @Tjabo

I did try only the HBR 30fps and I will probably keep this settings in my camera due personal taste. The only thing is that sometimes you need to restart the camera to playback the video at the LCD, but I consider this as minor issue.

• Hey everyone! Semi-noob here. I hacked my GH2 a couple years ago to get the cinema 24 mode which was great. Now I really need to do some slow-motion shooting which I thought would be possible with T8, i.e. 60 fps. I installed the hack successfully but I see nowhere in the menu options to change the frame rate. Help?! Thanks!!

• @allisoncastle, you are looking for SH mode. I find it to be very nice on moon T8. It is 720P though.