Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 wired remote focus
  • Hi guys. After using my hacked GH2 for 3 years I just got my GH4, and I'm already in love with it. It happens sometimes that is use the camera on a glidecam or a gimbal and I would like to have to ability to pull focus without touching the rig. Nothing super-precise, I rent a wireless follow focus when I need it, but when I shoot alone a remote focus cable would do the trick. I tried the wi-fi app, but having an assistant with an iPad is not an option :) I can't fin any information on the web about a panasonic/lanc cable capable of pulling focus over lumix. Do you know if there is any? Thank you!

Fabio

• 13 Replies sorted by
  • Oh, I used to pull focus via lanc on BMCC, I wish it was possible with Panny too. Thanks! :))))

• @Lanz1 do you mean with the BMPCC (pocket) and a Pana Lens? I think the mount on the BMCC MFT is passive.

I was asking iBMD if this would work and if I could plug in my Beobob Zoe controller at a trade show. They denied my request. I guess they got it working…?

• No @CFreak i have the BMCC EF and I can pull focus, change iris and start/stop via LANC :) Too bad it's not possible with the GH4 :(

• Is it 100% not possible? , power zoom and start stop def work over panasonic lanc with the gh4 where they did not with the gh3 I was wondering the same about focus and but haven't got anything to test with just the zoom and start stop recording which does work

• I know this is an old post, but the remote port has 2 functions coming in: FOCUS and REC. My question is, can you reassign the focus to something else? I'm using a B4 lens via adapter so FOCUS is not used. I'm wondering if I can assign FOCUS to some other function that would be more useful?

• I do not think it is about focusing, as I understand I is just AF command.

Is this function of new firmware? As I do not remember hearing anything about it.

• bumping, as I am interested as well in knowing if this is a new function in a recent firmware. if we could have focus via remote with native lenses on GH4, this would open so many opportunities. Also, somewhat related, does anyone have a breakout schematic of the contacts on the bottom of the GH4 - the 18 that the GH3 has and shared by battery grip, and the additional 5 that only that YAGH uses and only on the GH4?

• Something like aputure dec might work? anyone tried

• The issue is that traditional Panasonic lanc protocol utilizes the 2.5mm port for recording stop/start and zoom control. Panny utilizes a second port on some camcorders (3.5mm) that controls both iris and focus. You can see the two separate cables and their respective ports here in these product pics: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/855154-REG/Libec_zfc_5hd_Remote_Zoom_and_Focus.html

The GH4 only has the 2.5mm zoom/start stop remote port, so I don't think we'll be seeing anything via firmware unless it is a new remote focus feature delivered through the wifi app (a long shot at best).

• The Lanc I use with my gimbal allows me to trigger the half shutter auto focus for refocusing during shot. Bought cheap one of eBay about 5 quid

• Link please . :-)

• Did any company ever come out with something? The wifi app proves it must be possible just need a better control like a rotating dial.