Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Get GH4 with Olympus 12-40 OR Panasonic 12-35?
  • I sold my Panny 14mm & 20mm primes as I really didn't care for those lenses. I really want to buy at least one decent native M/43 zoom lens. I would really appreciate some advice in regards to the pro's and con's of each lens on the GH4. So those of you that have the GH4 with either lens please chime in with your thoughts.

I am leaning towards the Olympus due to the build quality and manual focus mechanism but want to make sure I have all the facts first before purchasing this lens.

I have some questions for those that may have both lenses.

Olympus lens questions:

1. When shooting stills and video on the GH4 with the Olympus 12-40 lens does the GH4 correct for distortion, chromatic aberration, etc.
    2. Is there a major difference in color rendition from the Olympus 12-40 compared to Panasonic lenses?
    3. How does the manual focus feel on the Olympus in comparison to the Panasonic?

Panasonic lens questions:

1. When shooting video on the GH4 with the Panasonic 12-35 does the GH4 correct for distortion, chromatic aberration, etc.
    2. Is there a significant difference in focus speed in comparison to the Olympus 12-40?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • OIS really helps for video, especially if you shoot at tele end.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Thanks for the links and input. I guess I can use my Nikon glass with follow focus but it would be nice if I could use my follow focus with the Panny 12-35 as well. I am hoping to be able to use the "Native M/43" lens for still imaging as well so I am thinking that the Panny lens will probably work out better with the GH4. I noticed that today is the last day @ B&H for the sale so I might just pull the trigger and buy it.

• You can rent the 12-40 from lens rentals for $44.00 for 5 days. That is what I plan to do. Also, note that B&H has the 12-35 lens listed at $899 which is an excellent bargain.

• And the 12-35's got DFD! The Oly's don't.

• Get 12-35mm, it is better for video, with stab and very good quality. Of course all is corrected on Panasonic bodies.

Also check two topics:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3283/12-35mm-f2.8-panasonic-lens-topic/p1

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/7881/12-40mm-f2.8-olympus-lens/p1