Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sigma 30mm 1.4 (not art) or Nikon 35mm 1.8 (G) for GH2?
  • Hi folks. Anyone have experience with this two lenses (maybe with speedbooster too)? Which is better for video or ,,filmlook´´? Thanks

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • The Sigma is better for your purposes although the Nikon is optically the better lens. The Sigma has more pleasant out-of-focus characteristics (aka Bokeh) and, on top of that, a much better focus ring (long throw, good grip) for video. The 2/3 stop extra aperture is nice but not so important.

See also this:

• I don't like the Sigma 30 1.4. To much chromatic aberrations. To much astigmatism and coma.

• I like the Nikon f1.8G, I use it with a Novaflex adapter (with stopless aperture control. Aperture control is needed on any adapter). It's really lightweight (plastic) which is a bonus I think. The bokeh wide open looks a bit choppy, and as you close it down a stop it ceases to be an issue. But as the video says it's sharp.

Its funny, I have photos I took with that lens in the same place as in the video, Tai O village.

• So..i bought both. Sigma stays. It is one of the best lens on GH2 what i ever had. I tried RJ lens turbo on both. Sigma is little vignetting, but i thing there is a less distortion, than at nikon 35mm. (sry for english)

Nikon’s 35mm f1.8 G ED is a lens that won’t excite those us that always reach for higher hanging fruit, but it will surely satisfy the appetites of those that are looking for a fairly affordable 35mm prime lens. Best of all, this lens is designed for full frame cameras as opposed to the last one which was for APS-C DSLRs.

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/06/26/review-nikon-35mm-f1-8-g-ed/

v149.jpg
    679 x 452 - 92K