Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 with an external recorder vs Blackmagic for greenscreen?
  • 30 Replies sorted by
  • Vitliy You know RAW is better for VFX and green screen YES its heavier but its better.

• 2k raw över 4k h264 any day of the week.

Do you have any actual tests?

• Thank you very much for both your replies and advice. I am a total noob as far as green screen goes. I haven't bought a GH4 yet I just wondered how good it would be for greenscreen. I was under the impression that an external recorder might mean it could output at a higher bit rate that would enable better keying (probably totally misunderstood that bit). If i just wanted the camera for greenscreen I guess the blackmagic option would be best but I need something a little more multi-purpose.

• Nothing beats raw in VFX. 2k raw över 4k h264 any day of the week. 4:2:0 can really ruin green screen material, no matter how good it is. But if you plan on mastering in 2k/FullHD, I say go with the native 4k in camera unless you got the Shogun that can actually record the 4K externally, other recorders so far is 1080p only.

I don't know how much you know about shooting with green screen, but as usual: Keep the screen smooth, no wrinkles. Even lighting and keep your subject away from the green screen so you don't get any spill.

In after effects I have found the primatte tools he best. CC also have few new tools compared to CS6 like an alpha cleaner and a better version of the refine edge tool. With compressed sources I usually split it upp to do different keying on different parts of the subject. Hair is one, the body is the other and combine the two layers for best key.

• For green screen resolution is very important. So, you better key in 4K and later downscale for delivery.

Why you need external recorder?