Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 Issues topic
  • 300 Replies sorted by
  • I thought of that as well, but I posted a photo of an export from lightroom 6. and it comes out in the export even with the highlight turned off ( the highlight clipping turns red not pink)

I tried importing into photoshop as well to use camera raw but same issue there too.

With that raw file even when bringing the exposure down to 0 you didn't see pink highlights? That seems like it might be a software issue on my end then?

• Might want to take further discussion to PM or separate thread.

I definitely see a slight pink cast to the highlights in the "white water" at the upper left.

What white balance setting are you using? LR5.6 (CR8.6) tells me Temp 5750 and Tint +36 (pink). I selected "Shade" WB and that helped, but I still see a slight pink cast to that area.

Are you using any filters?

What lens are you using (no exif data for that)?

• So I've narrowed it down to not being a camera issue as the raw files edited in-cam are fine.

I have no idea how to fix this issue though. It has to be an issue with camera raw as its the same engine in photoshop and lightroom.

• Please someone! I have a wedding shoot tomorrow and I cannot use this camera professionally with these issues.

I have searched all over the internet and it is a problem that comes up with some cameras sometimes but no hints as why it's happening to this one and not happening to anyone else.

• @tylerknight

Make separate topic, please!

• If I were to make a separate topic about this "gh4 issue" you would have deleted it and told me to post here so that's what I did. If you would like me to make a new topic I will.

• So I realized that the video glitches that were occurring were actually just my usb drives on my computer being stupid. This is not my gh4's fault.....

• I don't know if someone tell this before, but in my opinion is frustrating that "custom modes" saves exposure values too. So if you are recording with an exposure values in C1 memory and you change to C2 memory (where you has save VFR settings), you lose this exposure setting with values were stored in C2. It only occurs with C memories, in other modes (PASM or Video Mode) exposure values doesn't change.

I've read the manual and I didn't find any option to avoid this.

Byez

• @Koitz_roller

I like it better the way it is now but the best option would be selectable yes/no. Also I would like to have an option to save the whole camera setup with names like "indoors", outdoors", "sports", etc.

• Anyone else having trouble with the camera saying the memory card is full even though there's still a few GB left? It won't let me record videos anymore, but if i switch to photo mode it will still let me take (a lot) of photos (even though it says "0" pictures left in the bottom right corner).

• The GH4 probably needs 4GB available to record Video even if you use less. With a 128GB class 3 card, I have never gotten to the point of having that problem.

• 3 seconds is the minimum lenght of GH4 video. It is lots of MB to take JPG photos.

• Just got my GH4 today. Sadly within a 150 photos and 10 minutes of 4K video the camera froze twice.

I THINK both times it happened when I pressed the Playback button shortly after shooting something. It went to a black screen and nothing seemed to work. I assumed it could be a matter of writing from the buffer, but I waited a decent bit before pulling out the battery.

Used a 32Gb SanDisk Extreme Pro rated at 95MB/s, which, from what I've read around, should be enough for 4K's bitrates.

Firmware 1.1 (will update a bit later to 2.0).

This saddens me. Thankfully I'm well within the local store's return period. More tests after I recharge the battery.

• @LunyAlex Make sure it isn't the eye proximity sensor on the EVF - just your body in front of the camera can turn off the external screen if it's set to the higher sensitivity mode (which is default). Go in the settings and drop it to low sensitivity or turn it off completely and go manual on the EVF selector switch. The screen blanks out on me frequently when my thumb moves across the evf to hit the playback button.

• I was shooting the other night and I noticed that when the card was almost full the camera locked up whenever I tried to go into preview mode of the footage and photos I shot. turning the camera off didn't shut the camera off, had to pull the battery. After doing this it would lock up every time I would try the same thing.

• New 4K photo mode not saving exif data to the stills.

• Would be great if Panasonic adds the following features in the next firmware update to improve the GH4 even further: - Bug fix: Manual white balance in video mode always uses the mechanical shutter, even if the electronic shutter is turned on in photo mode. - enable 1/3 ISO steps in video mode. At the moment you have to adjust this setting in photo mode to get it for video. - improved autofocus

• I'm hearing rumors that Panasonic may be announcing this patch at InterBEE which is November 19th-21 with the actual patch being released shortly afterwards, again fingers crossed!

This posted by Patrick from Atomos on their Shogun forum, in relation to release of a firmware upgrade to fix HDMI output issues

• If you turn on Silent Mode the cam will use e-shutter for white balancing.

• I have been wondering why single focus with shutter half press is so fast and ugly in video mode (Pana lenses). When using continuous AF in video focus shifts smoothly and nice in every situation. There are many situations where single focus is practical. I just want it to work slower and smoother.

Another focus issue is AFS/AFC/MANUAL switch. When in AFC position focus hunts when starting video. First second is usually off focus. User manual should have a warning for that. It took over a year to figure that issue with my GH cameras.

One more. If I shoot video in C3-3 and I want to change video focus AFS/AFC I need 16 button presses to do that. Why video AF can not be assigned to FN-button???

Panasonic should correct these in next FW. Or maybe in GH5:)

• Solutions for video AF issues:

why single focus with shutter half press is so fast and ugly in video mode (Pana lenses). When using continuous AF in video focus shifts smoothly and nice in every situation. There are many situations where single focus is practical. I just want it to work slower and smoother.

I can use focus area set for single focus. it works smoothly. I can do it by touching the screen or 4-way buttons or FN-button. If I use touch focus offset option I can use EVF easily. I can now choose 2 AF speed for AFS: Fast AFS - shutter focus, slow AFS - touch focus.

Another focus issue is AFS/AFC/MANUAL switch. When in AFC position focus hunts when starting video.

Panasonic should correct this by FW update so that AFC-position works like AFS when camera is in manual movie mode.

One more. If I shoot video in C3-3 and I want to change video focus AFS/AFC I need 16 button presses to do that. Why video AF can not be assigned to FN-button???

I can use manual focus position (lever) and back focusing (AF-ON) for single autofocus and switch with AFC lever when changing to continuos AF and backwards.

I am not sure but I think that shutter half press focusing is smoother now with FW 2.0 and 14-140 II lens than earlier.

• I was checking the shutter count on my GH4 and now there's a yellow triangle / exclamation point that appears whenever I shut off my camera. I think it's due to me still being in the service mode because whenever I turn it on again, the ROM BACKUP option is still there. Does anyone know how to get rid of the yellow triangle error, or else how to exit the service mode?

• The motorboat noise is greatly reduced, to the point where it’s inaudible beneath the self-noise and ambient signal of any microphone.
    • On my fixed GH4, with a mono mike connected, the right channel is about 3 dB hotter than the left at any gain setting. In Sol March’s case, the left was 3 dB hotter than the right. Posts on various discussion lists also report a 3 dB imbalance in gains, post-fix. This imbalance only affects the mike input; the 1 kHz tone recorded with the built-in colorbars remains at -12 dBFS on both channels.
    • The fixed GH4 is about 2 dB quieter overall than the GH3.

http://www.dvinfo.net/article/production/audio/the-gh4-audio-buzz-fix.html

• Used my GH4 on a shoot a couple days ago and it froze once, had to remove the battery. The external monitor stopped working half way through the day, I thought is was a cable or battery problem but I'm getting nothing out of the HDMI port now - great just what I needed.

• Hello I've just noticed a green line at the top of the screen on my footage card used is kingston sdxc 64gb u3-1 this is video taken in 4k photo mode p setting ,yet when I filled my card and swapped it for a sandisk 32gb extreme 95/90 read/write card the footage on my Sandisk card doesn't show the green line at top the screen, this video footage was shot using 4k 100 mb 25 p all manual mode ,

In theory the kingston card being 4k certified should be better than the sandisk .

Or is my gh4 having issues with the 4k photo mode ?

Guess best solution is to take more video with both cards in different modes .

Has anyone else had these issues with the kingston card ?

On another issues how do you get the best from your gh4 with mixed lighting ie daylight shinning through roof windows with artificial lamps in roof ,was at the nec in Birmingham uk and it made consistent colours very difficult especially with a blue carpet that reflected a colour cast on the subject .

Also is the 4k footage hard to get good when panning mine looks a bit funky when panning .

Do you require footage to examine issues

ok just uploaded to vimeo it looks like I shot in 4:3 mode in photo mode my error .which in turn when played on my nle gives a green line at the top .