Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Using 2560x1440 monitor to view 4K content
  • Hello all

I was wondering on what do you think guys about using a 2560x1440 monitor to view down-scaled 4K content or video edit ? I know it is not 4K, but would the footage look better on this monitor rather than a normal FHD ? The reason for my question is that I want to experiment with 4K once I get my hands on a Panasonic GH4 but the problem as it appears at the moment of writing this message (29/4/2014) that 4K monitors are too expensive and TN only.

Thanks Damian

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • Thank you guys for you valued input. I will also read along these two threads and get a better understanding on which monitor would be my choice, although I tend to think about getting that Dell.

• I have the Dell U2713HM and pretty happy with it. I have the Dell hooked up to my 15" Retina MacBook Pro and the 4K footage looks great. I have had the monitor for almost 2 years and have had no issues. Once calibrated it looks great, however the build quality is not the greatest but the monitor was cheap and the image looks great so I can't complain.

This is a cheap monitor with very good IQ considering the price. So as long as you are ok with the build quality I think you will be happy with the this monitor. I wanted to purchase the Apple display, but at the time the Apple Display didn't even have USB 3.0 so I couldn't justify the Apple tax just for a better build quality.

• That particular model has an incredible contrast ratio along with some pretty high eval ratings - I can't say for sure if it's any better then a typical 1920x1200 monitor (since I haven't used one) but I don't see why it wouldn't be ideal for 4K editing. It's not going to display your 4K content in its native resolution but as long as you have a decent video card it should look great for editing content. I'm presently using a Dell 3008WFP running at 2560x1600 and it looks extremely crisp to me. Granted it's costly and its price range is comparative to 4K monitors but this is designed to be a few inches away from the screen, not feet.

• I was thinking about getting Dell UltraSharp U2713HM for this purpose, however I have read that there are issues with the IPS panel used in this monitor: backlight bleeding, low contrast, visible cross-hatching.

This monitor or any other you guys would you suggest to serve me both for 4K video editing and 2D design and composition ?

• That's a vague question. If your GPU has good down scaling capabilities I think the footage should look a bit sharper on this then a typical 1920x1080 monitor, but this all depends on who designs and engineers the products as well as the footage used for comparison. For example a Sony HD monitor may look better than a generic first gen 4K monitor with certain content, but not others.