Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic AG AF100 / AF101
  • Hi Vitaliy,

will there be a hack for the Pana AG AF 100/101? If yes, what could we expect?
    I hope very much, that you´ll have success with GH2 Stalin hack.

BR Uli
  • 141 Replies sorted by
  • Interview segments shot on AF100a with ambient classroom light only.

• Great post @MikeLinn. I enjoyed watching it. I'm guessing you did this and your production company was the slate at the end?

• What lens compatibility issues does the AF100 have?

• I had "Hands On" both CamCorders at NAB and liked the JVC LS300 a lot more.

They also plan good firmware update, so I hope that LS300 will be more popular.

• @RRRoger

Come on Panasonic, you can do better than the JVC-LS300.

Actually, considering Panasonic's half-hearted support for AF100 lens compatibility testing, I think they abandoned that notion years ago.

• But, the DVX-200 does not have a MFT mount. And for my use, it certainly lacks in other ways as well.

I had "Hands On" both CamCorders at NAB and liked the JVC LS300 a lot more.

I personally would not pay over $2k for a new DVX-200, so they will have to do a lot of "Promoting" to sell it.

• Where is the AG-AF200?

If you look at official Panasonic promoters they all promote DVX-200, and say that AF-200 is not really necessary much.

• Where is the AG-AF200?

The AF100 is so old, a much more robust codec is sorely lacking. Panasonic could make huge improvements with just "off the shelf" parts. And there is so much room inside this shell to put in much more than the GH4 holds. Things like dual processors and dual memory cards, much larger battery, even a s35 Sensor if they cannot improve the 4/3 one enough.

Come on Panasonic, you can do better than the JVC-LS300.

• I'm half considering seeing if I can pick up one up second hand at half price (US$1k) for shooting in 2015/2016, would be a good complement to my GH1 multi camera set up for weddings.

• I still use my AF100 on corporate and image film gigs. Good lighting is (as always) the key. I like it as a workhorse camera which takes a licking and keeps on ticking. It's paid for itself many times over. As @firstbase said, it's very good value right now.

• I still enjoy using this camera. I picked up a 100a version for $2599 and use it in a variety of industrial venues when I don't want to potentially soil better equipment. For these kinds of corporate/industrial videos it works a treat. DR is quite acceptable and it's lightweight. At $1999 it's a value and IMHO it's far easier than trying to use a rigged DSLR with very acceptable IQ. Sure, I would have preferred this year for Panasonic to throw a GH4 sensor in this type of form factor, but as we know, that's not in the cards. That said, for $2K, you can't go wrong with this camera.

• Yes, for one you have the hdmi output that negates in some ways the hack, but my main problem with this camera is the sensor/processing. The main problem for me is DR, from zacuto to philip bloom it is rated less or I can clearly see less DR than the HDslr in general. Pany thought that just putting a good enough large sensor camera would sway the whole Hdslr crowd. Yes it cures most of the the dslr problems, less jellow, less aliasing, less moire, but nothing more that would have the wow factor. They did not do their homework well, the main attraction of this new large sensor crowd is not functionality (yes it is very nice to have all these in the camera) but image quality. Just a camera head with 2k raw or uncompressed 10 bit, 12+ Dr image would appael much more to this crowd. I hope that the rumored camera for nab (I saw it only on 43rumors) would really bring something much better than the HDslr at least in terms of image quality.

• @rigs

Simply record the HDMI output of the AF100. Other than that- there is lots of 8 bit issues still- and that can't be fixed any firmware way...

• I'm sure the AF100 would be one hell of a camera if Vitaliy had his way with it. It has all the features we would love to see in a GH2.

• Ah ok I see, it was from January of 2011.

If you added up the potential commitments, it's a substantial amount of money... What are your reasons for not hacking the AF100? I'd be willing to send you money as well for this.

Thanks again for everything.

• @revitdazio

No, it is not.

Also check the date of this opus.

• I read that Vitaliy is working on an AF-100 hack. Is this true?

• They do, but its some bit a different than in cmos though and most of it is masked by motion blur. Depending also on the shutter angle being used.
  • Every classical film camera with a rotating shutter has some RS too…
  • @bwhitz
    I use Mercalli plugin to get rid of the rolling shutter effect and it does wonders to me.
    I dont know if you have tried it but if not then give it a try.
    It cant fix the worst run-n-gun shots but removes very well slight rollers.

http://www.prodad.com/home/products/videostabilizing/300391667,l-us.xhtml

• I have to agree I totally hate the shaky-cam epidemic thats going on.

@bwhitz
    If you think thats a reason to sell your GH2 then by all means do so. I just try to avoid shooting in ways that it becomes visible in regards the camera I am using for the shot. Some cameras are less prone to it some more. No need to heat up on the subject. As I said it was good looking piece of work. Btw I newer liked my HVX200 and was very happy when I replaced it with my first GH1. I think it wasnt really that good a cam to begin with.

Camera manufactures are trying their best to get rid of rolling shutter so I guess somebody cares... but maybe thats just me then. :)